TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would just like to point out that it is a quarter to two.

I'm not an insomniac.

I'm on a break.

Only 75 minutes to go!
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Keep on going you guys

I was so fed up and demoralised by the end of medical school. Looking back, I feel most of my time was wasted waiting around for things to happen. I remember my 5th year surgical attachment - half the day we couldn't even go onto the ward as it was 'rest time' <raises eyebrows>

In hindsight I spent far too long trying to be a 'good' medical student and attempting to spend plenty of time on the ward. Yes, it's important to see patients but as it gets closer to finals you learn to realise that there are only a few patients that are actually useful! Likewise, it's important to know what you'll be doing as a house officer, but most of my job is 'bits and pieces' and is not useful as a medical student.

As for turning up for things - be strategical. To be honest, as doctors, as long as we have seen your face a few times and you appear reasonably keen/sensible and safe, a few hours a day is plenty.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's really easy to get bogged down and also feel as though you are obliged to attend things to make a good impression. You're not. Be selective. Work on practising examination skills to death. Do as much oncall type things as possible as that's when you'll learn. If you've got an hour or so to fill, see if the radiology department has an 'library' of films you could look at etc etc.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks Joy! :hugs:

I'm seeing the end in sight now - stage 1 attachments finish next week, and tomorrow is GP day which will be cool. Today was nightmarish though. I don't want to get in trouble by making it too obvious, but let's just say I am amazed that certain surgeons are EVER let near students with the attitudes they have, especially towards women. :mad: Being told "Is that how you scrub? We'd better give the patient some antibiotics then" and "No, I think I'll let him (other med student - the only male one) assist me because he's done it before and knows what he's doing," (i.e. so some girls don't get a chance at all) is just ridiculous. Amusingly, we were *****ing about him in the changing rooms afterwards, and one of the nurses, who had never seen us before, walked past and said "Mr X? Don't take it personally," without us even having mentioned his name
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
As for turning up for things - be strategical. To be honest, as doctors, as long as we have seen your face a few times and you appear reasonably keen/sensible and safe, a few hours a day is plenty.
Gah, i wish I could do that, but my consultant is always on my back. Every time he sees me he asks what I have done (and checks) then asks what I have learnt (and proceeds to quiz me on it).

This would be all well and good if i either enjoyed obs&gynae or didn't see him that often, but i do I took histories today and the second one i forgot to write the pt's name on the proforma - he started having a massive go about my inability to remember the basics of a history - thing is I had asked her dob, and told him it, which just made him more angry ffs :mad:

Not to mention the fact that he pissed all over my reasons for wanting to do medicine for apparently no other reason than to be a ****

Can't wait for this stupid ****ty placement to be over
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Gah, i wish I could do that, but my consultant is always on my back. Every time he sees me he asks what I have done (and checks) then asks what I have learnt (and proceeds to quiz me on it).

This would be all well and good if i either enjoyed obs&gynae or didn't see him that often, but i do I took histories today and the second one i forgot to write the pt's name on the proforma - he started having a massive go about my inability to remember the basics of a history - thing is I had asked her dob, and told him it, which just made him more angry ffs :mad:

Not to mention the fact that he pissed all over my reasons for wanting to do medicine for apparently no other reason than to be a ****
Can't wait for this stupid ****ty placement to be over
oh dear oh dear!! Glad I've got a nice consultant although I hate obs and gynae about as much as you. I hardly see my consultant I pick and choose what I go to. Although I did run into your consultant in my clinic today.
He sounds like a complete knob, i'm sure if i'd had him there would be complaints flying all over the place. I am however EXTREMELY pissed off that he's given me a days notice that PBL will be tomorrow not Monday - I was going to do some work over the weekend. I don't have time to do it tonight so I think i'm just going to refuse to say anything tomorrow, and I know he'll pick on me because he always does. like you say, he's a ****.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Eeek!!! Have two exams tomorrow, and am horribly underprepared for them... Was going to go on the RemedyUK march on Sat and then Sun = Mothers Day. I also need to find time to decide what I'm going to say at Hustings on Monday...

...on top of that, we start new firms on Monday. During this firm I have a half day a week GP session. My allocated slot is Monday PM (along with 3 other students). We have just been emailed to say we need to turn up at GPs with a 15 min powerpoint pres on one of 4 topics they provided (so we cover all 4). Talk about little warning - grrrr.
Revd. Mike
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow, you guys make medical school look like a blast

I'm only kidding guys, good luck with everything!
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh...and I'm fed up of asking 60+yr olds if they're sexually active in gynae clinic.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had 'Sex and Sexuality' communication skills today. Fabulous actors, including elderly male whose character certainly was (!)

Remarkably little for me to whinge about at the moment. We're on thread courses - Communication, Ethics & Law, MDT Oncology, Evidence Based & Patient Safety stuff.
Although there is a 'mock' assessment tomorrow... useful idea but given I'm in the half of the year that has done DGH & SSM rather than Med & Surg my knowledge on the Med & Surg Syllabus is probably somewhat patchy. I could be cramming - but I think the dismal mark may be motivating for the next 2 rotations?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Elles - that sounds scarily like the course we are on at the mo - can't wait to get back to wards!

Have a summative assessment in the morning on ethics and law, public health, epidemiology, communications skills and medical sociology; then a formative Pathology/Oncology exam in the afternoon...
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't mind it too much, TBH. Tis a more gentle easing back to modern medicine after the awesome history-anthropology-ness of my SSM! :p: & no assessments for us until later on.

Do you have anything on 'Patient Safety' in it? The people who did that session were very excited about the new-ness of it in medschool curriculums. One of them was a Pilot ( :cool: !) extrapolating lessons learnt from safety initiatives in the airline industry as an example of a 'High Reliability Organisation'.

Good luck in Hustings - have read your manifesto. I'd vote for you!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Patient Safety in what way? I currently have an image of patients strapped to ejector seats and being fired out of windows in my head...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
Keep on going you guys

I was so fed up and demoralised by the end of medical school. Looking back, I feel most of my time was wasted waiting around for things to happen. I remember my 5th year surgical attachment - half the day we couldn't even go onto the ward as it was 'rest time' <raises eyebrows>

In hindsight I spent far too long trying to be a 'good' medical student and attempting to spend plenty of time on the ward. Yes, it's important to see patients but as it gets closer to finals you learn to realise that there are only a few patients that are actually useful! Likewise, it's important to know what you'll be doing as a house officer, but most of my job is 'bits and pieces' and is not useful as a medical student.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's really easy to get bogged down and also feel as though you are obliged to attend things to make a good impression. You're not. Be selective. Work on practising examination skills to death. Do as much oncall type things as possible as that's when you'll learn. If you've got an hour or so to fill, see if the radiology department has an 'library' of films you could look at etc etc.
Mmmm, you rarely get the houseman/SHOs talking about how 'good' a student was (compared to the consultant) but you WILL hear them talk about how cr*p one was.
So if you are sucha ****wit that you think 'cannulating' someone by sticking a green syringe needle attachment into a vein, then putting tape over it is acceptable then be prepared to be talked about.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
I don't mind it too much, TBH. Tis a more gentle easing back to modern medicine after the awesome history-anthropology-ness of my SSM! :p: & no assessments for us until later on.

Do you have anything on 'Patient Safety' in it? The people who did that session were very excited about the new-ness of it in medschool curriculums. One of them was a Pilot ( :cool: !) extrapolating lessons learnt from safety initiatives in the airline industry as an example of a 'High Reliability Organisation'.

Good luck in Hustings - have read your manifesto. I'd vote for you!
good luck i don't really know what it is but i hope you win on another note renal did you win that thing that there was the facebook group for?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, most decidedly not.

*Renal wanders off in a huff of bitterness and self-loathing*

(Rule #942: If you are going to put yourself into a popularity contest is important to remember that you might not actually be popular)
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
from the sounds of it... you all need to de-stress...!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
Mmmm, you rarely get the houseman/SHOs talking about how 'good' a student was (compared to the consultant) but you WILL hear them talk about how cr*p one was.
So if you are sucha ****wit that you think 'cannulating' someone by sticking a green syringe needle attachment into a vein, then putting tape over it is acceptable then be prepared to be talked about.
:rofl: Someone actually did that?

I have far too much rage at the moment. Have just ranted to my mummy, who made suitable shocked noises for me - she's good at that. I think I need a holiday.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i don't mean to sound like a complete pleb...

but what is a pre-clinical officer... we have had people bribing us with sweets, showing powerpoint presentations, doing lecture shout-outs and even people stripping to get voted for...

but i asked everyone i knew today... and no one could say who the pre-clinical president is at this time... so i had no idea what they actually do...
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm ones a crazy guy who always seems to be wearing a hat, and ones a black guy . I forget which one is the pre clinical, and which is the clinical. As for what they do they're part of the student union type thing aren't they - so supposed to help you with problems, represent your views etc.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know who the clincal president is... That much I do know... He is called Simon - or 'the black guy' as you put it...

but I have no idea who is pre-clinical president... and neither does my friends... and we have been pre-clinical students for 2 years... so how the hell do you know Mr Philosoraptor?!...

edit: ok, i see... simon is actually pre-clinical president (not clinical president)... it's just that he is doing his clinicals now... that's what confused me...

edited edit: i think rums site is wrong... i think simon is clinical president...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?