TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh yeah, that wasn't the service per se, but the few minutes before it began. We then had a reading from one of the students (who'd prepared a lovely poem), the head of the dept. and a priest (who also happens to be the Dean here at King's).
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Oh yeah, that wasn't the service per se, but the few minutes before it began. We then had a reading from one of the students (who'd prepared a lovely poem), the head of the dept. and a priest (who also happens to be the Dean here at King's).
what was the poem about, seeing as you didnt know the person
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It was more of a general poem (only two students had prepared the reading- they were chosen by the department and wasn't about the cadaver or the any one in particular, but was more like a generalised eulogy, if that makes sense.)

Here's a link from the reading from a couple of years ago, which is obviously not a poem but a very nice read nonetheless:
http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/doc/committal_pg.html
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
After out first semester, we had to do a piece of writing, based upon our dissection experiences in the form of a dialogue/story/essay/poem etc and the title was 'Oh death where is thy sting, Oh grave where is they glory?'
Maybe this sounds silly, but eventhough you dont 'know' the person, you spend a long time dissecting and come to really respect them. Everyone (AFAIK!) names their cadavers too!
I know that I have a lot of respect for whoever chooses to donate their body for such educational purposes. Because of that, I didnt have much trouble writing the 'essay', eventhough I'm not good at these kind of things.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Here's a link from the reading from a couple of years ago, which is obviously not a poem but a very nice read nonetheless:
http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/doc/committal_pg.html
i skimmed it. I don't think i like. It's just so, cliched.

If I left my body to science, I wouldn't want people I would never meet to make impersonal assumptions about who i was, my family, why i did it, even if they're nice assumptions.
It seems slightly disrespectful, when [presumably] there would be other people who knew me, actually grieving. Hmmm. Maybe it's just me that thinks this.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I dont really see it as an 'impersonal assumption'.
Its not like we sit there and wonder about their personal lives- even if looking at their face you think 'Woah, this was another person. Alive, just as I am, not very long ago'
IMO, seeing/referring to them as just another specimen is more impersonal.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Borders of the femoral triangle:
So I May Always Love Sex

Superiorly: Inguinal ligament
Medially: Adductor longus (IIRC, Adductor Longus also forms the floor of the triangle, but don't quote me!)
Laterally: Sartorius
It does. As do the pectineus(medially) and Illiopsoas(laterally) muscles
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
tbh, I never felt that I had any sort of attachment with a cadaver... I don't feel anything much seeing someone dead that I didn't know...
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
tbh, I never felt that I had any sort of attachment with a cadaver... I don't feel anything much seeing someone dead that I didn't know...
Right, but does it ever get to be - Just another body, or this again? I know you have to distance yourselves sometimes to function, and inevitably not everyone does get better - but does the desensitisation become part of you?

I say that because I volenteer in a hospice, have been for over a year, and when someone you (it seems ) even briefly got to know departs, it hit really really hard. Obviously you learn to deal with death, but does it ever stop you from caring?

You'rr probably all really lovely people, I just don't know how to put it better

Thanks
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I didn't feel anything as such it was strange the first dissection that we did but i didn't feel sad really. I feel a great respect for the two people who donated their bodies however as I didn't know them I guess I don't think I have the right to be sad. The strangest thing for me is that years before I came to med school my great grandmother died and donated her body to a medical school and to think that medical student dissected her is very strange....
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes that is strange... Someone I know on my course is an organ donor and also wants to give their body to be dissected... When I asked her why, she told me that she wants something good to happen when she dies... and even though I'd never do something as bold as that... I did think that she does have a point... In the end of the day we are either buried in the ground and eaten up by worms or we are burnt to dust... and there's not much good in that!...
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
Right, but does it ever get to be - Just another body, or this again?
yes, yes it does... it takes about two anatomy sessions to get over the initial excitement of dissection then it is just mundane...
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes that is strange... Someone I know on my course is an organ donor and also wants to give their body to be dissected
Surely you can't do both???
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i didn't think of that...
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Surely you can't do both???
why not? there will still be some left to dissect...
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
why not? there will still be some left to dissect...
Well I suppose, but it would be more a case of having various body parts for prosection, as the parts most useful for dissection (ie major organs) would be taken, so I don't think it would make a useful cadaver for whole body dissection
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Well I suppose, but it would be more a case of having various body parts for prosection, as the parts most useful for dissection (ie major organs) would be taken, so I don't think it would make a useful cadaver for whole body dissection
We can do limb dissection for a 2 week SSM here. And what with a lack of cadavers...

Anywho. I'm really bored. We got hints at what's in our exam this Friday and I think I know enough to do OK so lacking motivation here...
oxygenbubbles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We can do limb dissection for a 2 week SSM here. And what with a lack of cadavers...

Anywho. I'm really bored. We got hints at what's in our exam this Friday and I think I know enough to do OK so lacking motivation here...
You get hints?:eek: I NEED hints! I just can't bring myself to work. We still have lectures going on until 4ish every day by which stage I'm too tired to do work! Need to find some motivation somewhere soon!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was told that you got hints cos PS thinks your year were all out ragging all last week...
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I was told that you got hints cos PS thinks your year were all out ragging all last week...
awesome! not strictly true...

oxygenbubbles- we dont usually get hints. And TBH we dont know how to take them ("do not learn ear anatomy" probably still means we need to know the auditory pathway in the brain) And it's probably not for the best in the long run.

But yay. Slight annoyance that the PBL I just had to write up (on meningitis) appears the most useless of the 10: "do not learn BBB or CSF or the Meninges"!

And lectures til FOUR!! :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise