TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i start psych on tuesday anyone done it/have an oppinion on it?
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
i start psych on tuesday anyone done it/have an oppinion on it?
I did it this year, hated it, still hate it, hope to avoid it at all costs in the future.
You either love it or hate it, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Also psychiatrists are just as mental as some of the pts
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
she really doesn't approve of smoking (!)
If that's the same PK, I think she eyeballed me having a gasper outside the Ed Centre at Hom.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
I did it this year, hated it, still hate it, hope to avoid it at all costs in the future.
:p: i know some psychiatrists can be strange, my mum was one before she retired and I grew up around her and all of her friends... from what my friends have said I don't think that I will enjoy it much but i might do will go in with an open mind....
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Ditto that

On another note I was chatting to someone from church today, who is a recently retired obs/gynae consultant who I know well and was one of the people who most encouraged me into medicine. Apparantly he was Mr Prashar's consultant when Prash was an SpR, wish I'd known that before, might have made Prash nicer to me :p:
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah, so you'd be useful to me. :p:. The chemistry tutor where I was going to study Chemistry last year said to us that if you really want to help people - study chemistry/etc and research new drugs etc , because as a doctor you might help hundreds but as a pharmaceutical type millions.
rahmed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes, but you also rip off the NHS, therefore not allowing them to invest in more beds etc... so it all balances out.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
I know what that is like...

This year is a bit better though... We have a new thing were two weeks before the exams we have revision sessions being held by clinical students...

I went to one on the limbs yesterday and it was absolutely brilliant... The best tutorial session I've ever had in fact...

Do you have this type of thing at other medical school?
Yes - there are a couple of groups that do this at BL. I don't trust any of them!!!!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Yes - there are a couple of groups that do this at BL. I don't trust any of them!!!!
how come? we had a guy in the year above who gave up some pharmacology lectures earlier this year (because he had done a degree it in before) and it was really really great
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ours seem pretty good too.

Most of the teaching is formalized into SSMs - so they're given guidance/training about how to go about it. The first block we did in Clinicals ('Doctor Patient II') had lots of small group teaching by 6th years to help learn and practise the basics of history taking and examination & to get you familiarised to being on the wards.

Now we have new MedEd tutors to help gear up for Year 4 OSCEs - who pretty much cover whatever we want/gaps.

If they don't know they say they don't & find out.

Renal - highly likely that it is...
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
how come? we had a guy in the year above who gave up some pharmacology lectures earlier this year (because he had done a degree it in before) and it was really really great
That's a little different - I would trust peeps with full degrees in single sciences, may be even peeps who had intercalated in the subject that they are teaching, but not a 'regular' student with nothing more than a snap shot to work off. Our med school are quite worried about this, as there is no screening process...

How confident would you be to find that the student who had just taught you X,Y and Z, did so as they had failed those stations everytime they came up in OSCEs and were 'teaching' you to help themselves?

Just because a student has reached clinicals, it doesn't mean what they are teaching you is right... They might think it is right, but...

I've helped out at clinical skills before, but having been asked by the co-ordinator of pre-clinical 'clinical skills' teaching, and helping at a timetabled session, with support there if needed...
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
That's a little different - I would trust peeps with full degrees in single sciences, may be even peeps who had intercalated in the subject that they are teaching, but not a 'regular' student with nothing more than a snap shot to work off. Our med school are quite worried about this, as there is no screening process...

How confident would you be to find that the student who had just taught you X,Y and Z, did so as they had failed those stations everytime they came up in OSCEs and were 'teaching' you to help themselves?

Just because a student has reached clinicals, it doesn't mean what they are teaching you is right... They might think it is right, but...

I've helped out at clinical skills before, but having been asked by the co-ordinator of pre-clinical 'clinical skills' teaching, and helping at a timetabled session, with support there if needed...
I see your point that would worry me slightly
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I see Daveo is famous, a 'true original' even, I'm probably about a week late in noticing this ...

My exam went well! Apart from the fact I hate bone microbiology. And ANS nuclei. And vertebral bones. Oh well, the rest was fine I think.
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I see Daveo is famous, a 'true original' even, I'm probably about a week late in noticing this ...
Then you're not the only one!

My exam went well! Apart from the fact I hate bone microbiology. And ANS nuclei. And vertebral bones. Oh well, the rest was fine I think.
Heh, well done

How does one 'revise' sociology?
I'm a bit at loss really. I was thinking of just skimming through lecture powerpoints, that should be enough shouldn't it?
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Daveo's a true original? :p:
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
How does one 'revise' sociology?
I'm a bit at loss really. I was thinking of just skimming through lecture powerpoints, that should be enough shouldn't it?
skim, inwardly digest.

The Qs in my exam for sociology type stuff seemed to be half comprehension test, half general knowledge test.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
A ridiculously high number of applicants this year plagiarised Daveo's opening sentence in their personal statement.
I had no idea, until I read it in student BMJ yesterday
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
skim, inwardly digest.

The Qs in my exam for sociology type stuff seemed to be half comprehension test, half general knowledge test.
Sounds about right;yes;
Thank you
Philosoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah ok.
Now I know what you're talking about.
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
Indeed :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads