The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I noticed that yesterday too :biggrin:
hmm, had to do a fasting blood glucose test in a physiology practical today and mine was 8.5mM an hour post-prandial... do you reckon that's anything to be vaguely concerned about or am I just being a typical paranoid med student?
IIRC, the glucose levels fluctuate roughly between 4 to 8 mmol/l anyway. An hour post-prandial would be close to the upper limit, wouldn't it?
Reply 3303
Ribbons
An hour post-prandial would be close to the upper limit, wouldn't it?
Yup.
I thought it was 4-7...?

edit: wait, never mind...
Reply 3305
4-8mmol/L

But most BM monitors have a fair bit inaccuracy don't they? Of course, seeing an abnormal reading you repeated the test to verify the result, didn't you?
Renal
4-8mmol/L

But most BM monitors have a fair bit inaccuracy don't they? Of course, seeing an abnormal reading you repeated the test to verify the result, didn't you?

Of course. :smile:
Reply 3307
And what was the result? :smile:
Still 8.5... was testing every 10 minutes for an hour or so too, so it wasn't just an anomaly. Was only really wondering as a few of my biochem handouts had drummed normal values = 4-7mM/L into me... but have just found another one saying 4-8... one to ask the supervisor i think as it's rather important! christ, with the amount of useless minutae they ask us to learn on my course, you'd think they'd be able to get that one right :rolleyes:
Reply 3309
Did you get the crappy bread or the Mars bar? :p:
mars bar all the way, I'm not some kind of chump! they told us about The Mars Bar Scandal of your year... Mason was not impressed.
I hated doing to glucose tolerance test, i hope i never get diabetes because I am such a wimp when it comes to pricking my finger.
randdom
I hated doing to glucose tolerance test, i hope i never get diabetes because I am such a wimp when it comes to pricking my finger.

Me too!
This, for some reason, reminds me of the 7 year old with type 1 DM who came over to tell us about himself/his condition. He did a test on one of us in the end, and I couldn't help aww-ing when he was assuring the volunteer to not worry, as it would only be a small prick of the needle.:biggrin:
friendlyneutron
..The Mars Bar Scandal

:laugh: Sounds like a good title for a production:p::biggrin:
Reply 3314
"human development" is crap. Bring back brain and behaviour!!

CM gave the worst lecture ever yesterday. A ridiculous amount of anatomy, and she just talked through it too quickly and then showed us a picture for about 30 seconds after about 3 slides of writing. And then the next lecture was a bit iffy too.

It's a good 40 pages of Marieb's anatomy textbook, and that probably doesnt cover it all, for about 100 minutes of lectures. :frown:
Reply 3315
Oh, this is all very techiie.
Reply 3316
I'm actually enjoying GI...
Dear Lord. Got in WAY over my head with one patient today. Talk about bottling up emotions!
Reply 3318
Meh.

Spent 11 hours in today.

Had to go to work after.

Just got home.

Got **** from the other half.

****it all, anyone fancy a pint or 20?
Reply 3319
poor renal :frown:

and i thought embryology was bad.

Latest

Trending