Reply 3560
*Cough* Crash Call Genetics

If it's been bloody written yet?
Reply 3561
oww. but i dont believe in libraries!!

and revision is cheating :wink:
Reply 3562
lol! Final meeting on Wednesday, Renal!

Saffie - I have a good basic genetics book, but Lana (in your year) has it ATM. You are more than welcome to borrow it when she's finished...
Congrats to Ribbons for finishing her exams :smile:.
Reply 3564
Fluffy
lol! Final meeting on Wednesday, Renal!

Saffie - I have a good basic genetics book, but Lana (in your year) has it ATM. You are more than welcome to borrow it when she's finished...
i've facebooked her. Thankooo.
Demon_AS
Congrats to Ribbons for finishing her exams :smile:.

Thank you! :biggrin:
But still no MSN appearance :p:

You lied! :hmmm:
Reply 3567
Had a lecture today about clinicals and what they involve etc. Can't believe i'm nearly there! It has come round so quickly.

I'm quite excited/scared!
Reply 3568
As if the END-OF-YEAR-4-THIS-WILL-RANK-YOU OSCE on Thursday wasn't scary enough...
... we've just been offered the wonderful opportunity of being reassessed by OccHealth for blood bourne/EPP-elimination issues straight afterwards. :bawling: Needles in other people's arms = fine, mine? :redface:

On a topical note - anyone else's medical school offering a similar thing following the new DoH guidance?
Reply 3569
I'm done for year in just over 14 hours:biggrin: Bring on the Pimms and punting!

I'll be back early in September though, pharmacology on Saturday was a fecking joke.
Reply 3570
Elles
On a topical note - anyone else's medical school offering a similar thing following the new DoH guidance?
Not that they've told me about.
Reply 3571
Renal
Not that they've told me about.

:ditto:
Reply 3572
Elles

BL is going down the 100% EPP free (with some exceptions) route. They decided that making people test mid course was a bad thing, as could force people to disclose certain health statuses...
Elles
Somewhat paralysed by fear & feeling like i haven't learnt anything in the past year, despite spending lots of time in various hospitals.

... any OSCE veterans have any tips?
Doing stuff and thinking all in 5 minutes per station?! How is that even possible...

It's not just doing stuff and thinking, add detecting subtle abnormalities to the list as well. I felt like a proper idiot when I had my first (practice) OSCE. Couldn't hear a murmur, wasn't able to elicit any tendon reflexes, and best of all.. Under all the pressure, I wasn't able to tell the examiner what the bone in the middle of the chest was (I said "mediastinum"..go me!)

I was, however, very proud of palpating a liver that pretty much covered the entire abdomen ('So did you feel anything?'...' I believe the patient has Hepatomegaly' :biggrin:)

Oh, sorry.. I just realised I haven't actually given you any tips, I didn't mean to make it sound horrible, it's just something one gets used to. Have you had any practice OSCEs?
Reply 3574
Saffie - just remember in years 1 and 2 there are no marks for the questions the examiner might ask...

Just wish that were the case for us this year. Nuts!
Reply 3575
Elles
Somewhat paralysed by fear & feeling like i haven't learnt anything in the past year, despite spending lots of time in various hospitals.

Doing stuff and thinking all in 5 minutes per station?! How is that even possible... :bawling:

Breath!!! <-- Very important!!! A few deep breaths can make all the difference...

Based on my pre-clin experience, usually you can work out what is coming next. If you finish a station 'early' use the time to collect your thoughts and plan ahead. If you can take a scrap of paper with you (some schools apparently let you), jot things down to use as an aide memoire....

Good luck! xxx
Reply 3576
Ta fluffy.
Elles

Doing stuff and thinking all in 5 minutes per station?! How is that even possible... :bawling:

Breathe, and look really carefully at the patient and everything around before you start. Though if it's anything like ours, they're more interested in you having the routine right than if you can actually elicit the right signs...
Reply 3578
Helenia
Though if it's anything like ours, they're more interested in you having the routine right than if you can actually elicit the right signs...

I hope that's what our wants.

(that's definately what they want in the first two years, I'm just worried that they'll throw in somebody who's actually sick this year)
Reply 3579
Thought you guys might appreciate these, taken at the hospital I'm placed at:

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending