Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cool! That's great news!
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I know. But actually doing stuff and being paid > standing at the back seeing nothing and not getting paid. Frankly, with my finances in their current state, anything that gets me paid is good!
ah yes, my friend did one of those whilst at cambridge. fun fun fun ey.
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
More of a slight issue of kidney duplication and an eGFR of 70...
The problem being...:confused:

never did get this eGFR nonsense.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Make it all a little stage 2 CKD... ideally eGFR should be above 100... On it's own eGFR isn't too much to worry about, but with definite kidney pathology it is... I just do not have any documentation for definite thanks to the inept record keeping of a certain Swansea hospital, so I have to jump through pointless hoops to satisfy the beaurcrats...
Jamie
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Make it all a little stage 2 CKD... ideally eGFR should be above 100... On it's own eGFR isn't too much to worry about, but with definite kidney pathology it is... I just do not have any documentation for definite thanks to the inept record keeping of a certain Swansea hospital, so I have to jump through pointless hoops to satisfy the beaurcrats...
ah see i never quite understood this whole CKD malarky much either.

but just know on my path results it only flags up eGFR if <60.
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
but just know on my path results it only flags up eGFR if <60.
Yeah with eGFR the margin for error is quite wide (low specificity for CKD - as patients with fully functional kidkeys can have varying degrees of normal GFR, not to mention the fact that it is only an estimated value), and anything down to around 60 could be normal.

Beyond that it has quite a good positive predicitive value, so that's why most systems only flag up results below 60 (and may go some way to explaining the lack of f/up for fluffy)

It's amazing the things you pick up despite despising a topic
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been reading the Student BMA's feature on booze in medical schools (sorry, was bored), apart from the fact that medicine now seems to full of knobs, there was a solid TSR contribution, well done.
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I 100% stand by my published opinion that it's those who don't drink that you have to watch.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it worth resubscribing to the BMA?

I don't want to lose £30 for a few articles I can read online anyway.
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)

I don't want to lose £30 for a few articles I can read online anyway.
Thank you! I was just about to post that question!
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
Thank you! I was just about to post that question!
We are the coolest :five:

I just looked at the fees for qualified doctors :eek: What on earth do the BMA do that requires so much money?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do you think they're doing a good job of representing your interests?
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Do you think they're doing a good job of representing your interests?
not really, no.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We are the coolest :five:

I just looked at the fees for qualified doctors :eek: What on earth do the BMA do that requires so much money?
Hell yeah :cool:

How much is it?
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
Hell yeah :cool:

How much is it?
standard rate's £387pa. But it builds up to that, I think you have to pay that 7 years after you've qualified. But it's a bit less in special circumstances, like if you teach.

I see the table of benefits now. I don't think it's worth resubbing, I hope it won't count against me if I want to sub in the future.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
standard rate's £387pa. But it builds up to that, I think you have to pay that 7 years after you've qualified. But it's a bit less in special circumstances, like if you teach.

I see the table of benefits now. I don't think it's worth resubbing, I hope it won't count against me if I want to sub in the future.
Woah.
I'll go dig out the information and have a look at the table, I think :ninja:

I don't really think I got much out of the membership this year, but I was wondering if that's because maybe I haven't been aware of and/or proactive enough in trying to find out about issues :dontknow:
j00ni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say it's worth it for the BMJ learning stuff, but not really much else (though it is nice to get some mail every now and then )
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm so out of practise in general medicine (having done Palliative Care, Paeds, Obs & Gynae as my last 3 rotations). Had to cannulate someone today and was sooooo nervous! Then we had a supervision and I just felt really rusty doing all my examinations etc.

Our supervision group is also currently at war over when to have teaching. It's quite sad really...
j00ni
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know the feeling before a/e I had micro (3mths), GP (1mth), Obs/Gynae (6wks, did a couple there, and one dramatic fail :p: ), and paeds (7wks, though did get to do 1 cannulation then)
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
I know the feeling before a/e I had micro (3mths), GP (1mth), Obs/Gynae (6wks, did a couple there, and one dramatic fail :p: ), and paeds (7wks, though did get to do 1 cannulation then)
They didn't really let us in Paeds, and I haven't had any opportunities in O&G yet. But I'm sure in 6th year when I'm on our epic long regional attachments I'll get plenty of practice :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads