Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Is the handbook and/or dummy application form available online somewhere?
    Yeah, should be here http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk somewhere, if you can't find it let me know and i'll post it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bright star)
    couldn't you just pretend to apply with a fake name and stuff (obv not send it)
    No, you have to be authorised and your details pre-loaded onto the system. You could make up your answers though - if you're willing to chance that you wont be one of the 10% or so which get checked. For the record, i'm Not making up my answers, otherwise i'd put that I have a PHd in particle physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I haven't got a choice. I think you'll find most of us wouldn't intercalate if we didn't have to.
    well that sucks even more.. hmm what to intercalate in... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    it's weird considering how many people are school leavers who didn't intercalate. what would you expect anyone to be able to put in there. it's not really fair to give GEP/graduates an advantage here imo. i mean it doesn't really have any bearing on your ability to practice as an f1.
    I agree with that in some ways (mainly because its 4 points i've lost on my application) but at the same time it can be argued the other way.

My maximum score is 91/100 (given that I'm in the 2nd quartile and will score 0 on the academic achievements)

At the end of the day - a degree is only worth 4 points at best and thats only if you get a 1st so you're better off trying to get into the top quartile if you possibly can. Sadly I just missed out thanks to a certain bloody examiner :mad:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    yeah, things get really annoying when it really affects you. like my last ssm i got a merit for. but it only wasn't a distinction because the marker had a disagreement about the punctuation of one sentence (in a 4000 word essay). it was a valid sentence. just goes to show that scientists can't speak english properly. but that meant i got a good in the SPAG section which limits you to a merit, despite an excellent in EVERY other section. one bloody sentence.

do you think it's unprofessional conduct to slap your school director? he was my pbl tutor today. and he told us that he expects us to look up every other group's learning objectives and do them too. despite the fact that even reading all the objectives for the first module has taken me an hour so far and i'm only a third of the way through compiling an exhaustive list. plus he's annoying and we have him until christmas now.

aaargh, i'm just so angry about so many things at the moment. plus they've said that there's no advantage when doing our academic rankings to passing first time. which i think is really really stupid. plus it's annoying. because i've passed everything first time. and i know 2 other people in my year who have. and i'm so so cross.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I agree with that in some ways (mainly because its 4 points i've lost on my application) but at the same time it can be argued the other way.

My maximum score is 91/100 (given that I'm in the 2nd quartile and will score 0 on the academic achievements)

At the end of the day - a degree is only worth 4 points at best and thats only if you get a 1st so you're better off trying to get into the top quartile if you possibly can. Sadly I just missed out thanks to a certain bloody examiner :mad:
    That academic achievements Q is all wrong.
    Unless I'm mistaken:

you could have a first in anything, witchcraft:rolleyes: and get 4 marks for it
    or a 3rd in Biochemistry from Oxford and get 1 mark for it.

maybe i'm wrong.. i guess i must be..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yeah, should be here http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk somewhere, if you can't find it let me know and i'll post it up.
    Cheers mate. The stuff looks interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it... I guess I have about 3 years to start worrying!

I find it odd that a BA/BSc 1st class gets the same number of points as a PhD, and a 2:1 equates to a Masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    That academic achievements Q is all wrong.
    Unless I'm mistaken:

you could have a first in anything, witchcraft:rolleyes: and get 4 marks for it
    or a 3rd in Biochemistry from Oxford and get 1 mark for it.

maybe i'm wrong.. i guess i must be..
    no, you're not wrong really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    ribbons- Ahhhh I see, I pick academic SSMs to revise stuff, and our SSMs aren't until next year.
    Heh, I prefer the clinical ones to most of the academic ones since the latter are usually very dry and generally biochemistry stuff

tis true.... scary scary. i think it'll be beyond amazing to get to 5th year and know that you just have to turn up to pass.....
    :eek: I never knew that! Damn, should've considered Liverpool when applying!:p:

also ssm sucks ass. for some reason we have to do 2 this year. the second of which is straight after our end of year exams. it's just cruel. you do your exams then you go home. it's not fair!!!
    Oh we get to do 5 this year. Joy.
    And we have our nursing experience attachments and clinical skills sessions after our end of year exams. Poo!

And I am not looking forward to witnessing the 'competitive' nature of people in years to come The foundation application system is just terrifyingly evil.
    I remember reading something about some places still using interviews and their independent selection procedures (in addition to MTAS?). Is this still true?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think an article in something like http://www.thetriplehelix.org/ would be worth mentioning? I really can't see my dissertation leading to a publication :p:, but I should hopefully have an article in there in a few months (if I can finish my final draft in the next 7-8 hours...) It gets reviewed by professionals in the field, but I doubt it's "peer reviewed."

ReputationRep:
    I managed to start an MTAS application last year - please don't kill me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I managed to start an MTAS application last year - please don't kill me.
    how? :hmmm:

*gets killing stick out*

ReputationRep:
    I kept getting emails even later on , after the whole 22,000 for 28,000 malarch saying there are still jobs available (there were multiple recruitment rounds I believe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Does anyone think an article in something like http://www.thetriplehelix.org/ would be worth mentioning? I really can't see my dissertation leading to a publication :p:, but I should hopefully have an article in there in a few months (if I can finish my final draft in the next 7-8 hours...) It gets reviewed by professionals in the field, but I doubt it's "peer reviewed."
    I think it's the peer review that is key...

ReputationRep:
    calling muse or anyone else from bristol?!

Do you know what percentage of people intercalate?

ReputationRep:
    meh, all the jobs I want have psychiatry in them which I REALLY don't want to do.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    this is the densest question ever. but do you apply for your first 2 years jobs at once now? or is this just your first year you're applying for?

ReputationRep:
    this is the densest question ever. but do you apply for your first 2 years jobs at once now? or is this just your first year you're applying for?
    It varies, most places its a 2 year linked job but some are just 1 year and you have to apply for F2 during your F1 year.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, some are follow-through jobs (ie 2-year),and some are F1 only

edit: gah, too slow, I blame the exorbitantly high temperature and lack of action in GPs!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    okay thanks. i had thought they were 2 years. but my 5th year friend is applying for 1 year posts and i got a bit confused.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.