TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
lol I like you :p: Have to be careful though cause these things can backfire. I think there's a chance that if I complain about our medicine in society placement, we might just get made to stay longer doing the same nothingness. Hmm..
Tell them exactly what you think is lacking so they can compensate for that without rubbishing up further? Or am I just a bit too naively optimistic? :ninja:
bright star
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
Tell them exactly what you think is lacking so they can compensate for that without rubbishing up further? Or am I just a bit too naively optimistic? :ninja:
yeah. i normally raise points then suggest an ideal solution. for example the last couple of things were: on my last rotation, we have people who are in hospital tues+wed and people who are wed+thur. we're in groups of 4 and one group from each set was assigned to this one consultant. he's only in surgery on wed and won't let more than 1 student in at a time, therefore some people don't even get to see surgery on their rotation/go once. so they've allocated this guy one group of students so each gets to go half a day every fortnight.

or we sign up to do "key clinical experiences" and sometimes you turn up and there's no-one there, or it's grand round, or the doctor is on holiday. all things that could ahve been forseen before they let me sign up on that day. by this stage all the other slots are filled and now i have to wait until next term when i really wanted to take up some of my boring vascular placement with them.... now they check with teh relevant ward before making a signup sheet.

i don't tend to whinge at them abstractly. although it is tempting :p:
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh i usually tell them what i want doing! But I'm not sure what I want with my current problemos, probably just to moan that the school is so damn inconsistent!

I think PBL will sort itself out, my tutor will be good when he turns up & when we've rearranged every session individually so he can be there. I don't know why he's doing PBLs if he's busy 9-5 mon-fri though.

My placement, hmm.. I like my group and would actually be quite scared to meet patients now! ha.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Southend tour is getting worse.

Rule #1 don't challenge Renal (or Fingermaster as he is known here) to a pint off.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh i usually tell them what i want doing! But I'm not sure what I want with my current problemos, probably just to moan that the school is so damn inconsistent!

I think PBL will sort itself out, my tutor will be good when he turns up & when we've rearranged every session individually so he can be there. I don't know why he's doing PBLs if he's busy 9-5 mon-fri though.

My placement, hmm.. I like my group and would actually be quite scared to meet patients now! ha.
Heh, moan away then. I like moaning about things that probably are alright too

And what exactly is the Southend Tour? It seems to have been mentioned enough times for me to be bothered :p:
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Southend tour is getting worse.

Rule #1 don't challenge Renal (or Fingermaster as he is known here) to a pint off.
who challenged you? phoenix per chance? i hear he's there.. he's such a crap father
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heh, moan away then. I like moaning about things that probably are alright too

And what exactly is the Southend Tour? It seems to have been mentioned enough times for me to be bothered :p:
lol i shall

i think renal views firms as tours or something! :stupid:
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Southend O&G Tour is getting drunk in Essex while pretending to study O&G.

And it wasn't Phoenix, it was some bloke you won't know - the short answer is; he wasn't expecting me to finish my pint in one.

Numbnuts.
Ribbons
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by saffie)
lol i shall

i think renal views firms as tours or something! :stupid: :wink:
Hah, I see! Sounds fun

(Original post by Renal)
Replace the Southend with any other place, and O&G with medicine, and isn't that the general idea anyway? :p:
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)

And it wasn't Phoenix, it was some bloke you won't know - the short answer is; he wasn't expecting me to finish my pint in one.

Numbnuts.
that is stupid. i've been known to neck a pint before.... i'm not even particularly good!!
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Seeing as lots of us seem to be doing it at the moment... or have strong opinions on it:

Textbooks for O&G?

I have acquired a collection of concise-ish ones (Essential / Fundamental / Lecture Notes / At a Glance / By 10 Teachers) but am not finding them very readable. They seem to be more revision guide style, which is a place I am far from at the mo... although perhaps the problem is I don't know where to begin. :p: Anyhow, any recommendations?

Almost time to start packing again for another clinical attachment away... more hospital accommodation to sample - joy!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Impey & 10 Teachers come highly recomended. I haven't decided which I like yet.
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
****ters:
Ditto that sentiment.

I am doubley scared since I printed off the form a couple of days ago to have a check over - and noticed a couple of minor spelling errors. Logged in the next day, but the words were spelled correct on the online form. So now I'm totally paranoid

Oh well
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Ditto that sentiment.

I am doubley scared since I printed off the form a couple of days ago to have a check over - and noticed a couple of minor spelling errors. Logged in the next day, but the words were spelled correct on the online form. So now I'm totally paranoid

Oh well
That's crazy! Why would it do that?

Also, is it normal to have to buy a book or two for each rotation? I know I was joking about it before, but I ACTUALLY can't afford to. How many books do you actually own? Bear in mind that my ability to borrow library books long-term without repeated trips to the library is nil.
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bright star)
Also, is it normal to have to buy a book or two for each rotation? I know I was joking about it before, but I ACTUALLY can't afford to. How many books do you actually own? Bear in mind that my ability to borrow library books long-term without repeated trips to the library is nil.
I bought books for every specialty - i.e - each rotation. I have enough medical books to open a library (at least 30-40).

However, I prefer to buy books rather than loaning from the library - in part because I am annoyed intensely by highlighting in books etc.. and mainly because the amount I end up paying in fines means its cheaper to buy the book in the first place!

Also, I rarely used the internet as a studying tool as most people do. You could certainly use internet for all your undergraduate study and not need to buy any books at all!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
btw, you really should've stopped me last night
I've seen the photos!

And you're one lucky *****!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
Thanks Saffie.

I'm starting Renal on monday..Anyone know of any good books they'd recommend? I'm fed up of coming across as the stupid person in my group!
I like this one, Ria: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/boo...on#description

Some of the series are pants, but the renal, GI and neuro ones are good...
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I've seen the photos!

And you're one lucky *****!
you're mean!!! leave poor saffie alone!!!

(can i see)
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, cos she's lucky that the one of her and what happened didn't come out.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Impey & 10 Teachers come highly recomended. I haven't decided which I like yet.
I wasn't overly impressed by either of them, to be honest. They'll tell you the basics you need to know for finals but they're pretty dry and only have line drawings, no proper pictures. I used Drife & Magowan's Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology which seems to have much the same information as the others, has photos etc (not for the faint-hearted!) and some interesting background information.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?