Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    My sisters friend is coming over and wants to discuss if she should drop out of medical school or not after one term and I don't know what to say to her help!
    Find out what her position is really - if it's just she is having a hard time adjusting to uni then some reassurance might be in order; if she's questioning whether she really wants to do medicine, sharing some of your experiences might be worthwhile. Just see what she wants to talk about though; I'm sure you don't have to take the responsibility for any decisions she makes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Find out what her position is really - if it's just she is having a hard time adjusting to uni then some reassurance might be in order; if she's questioning whether she really wants to do medicine, sharing some of your experiences might be worthwhile. Just see what she wants to talk about though; I'm sure you don't have to take the responsibility for any decisions she makes!
    Thanks for the advice everyone I just had a chat with her. I think that at the moment she is just feeling very stressed and unsupported. Plus she is away from home and her boyfriend for the first time. I have tried to tell her that things will get better because they will and to at least stick it out for a bit longer. She is considering applying to another course while at uni which i am not sure if that is aloud or not so i directed her to TSR. I don't think she is very happy at the moment but she doesn't make it easy because she studies all the time and hasn't joined any societies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Fluffy/Renal, do I need to know first year metabolism for this exam? Not that I can really be bothered to learn yr2 met let alone yr1 stuff. If either of you have any 'revision aids' I'd like them, pretty please! :flutter:
    Not really, you need to know enough to understand 2nd year, IIRC, you won't be formally tested on 1st year concepts.

No revision aids here. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I know what a revision aid is, but what is a 'revision aid'? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Beer and coke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    I know what a revision aid is, but what is a 'revision aid'? :p:
    Ritalin?

ReputationRep:
    i meant past papers. but i wouldnt say no to beer or coke. might say no to ritalin though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Coke!?

I don't deal, you understand.

But I know where you can get some from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Coke!?

I don't deal, you understand.

But I know where you can get some from.
    haha i'm sure i can find some myself, and one day i will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    i meant past papers. but i wouldnt say no to beer or coke. might say no to ritalin though :rolleyes:
    It works, apparently. And probably tastes nicer than beer.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, ritalin would probably useful for me as I've always been a bit hyper!

ReputationRep:
    Heh, ritalin would probably useful for me as I've always been a bit hyper!
    Well under certain conditions, it's like speed, so it might not be brilliant for someone who is a "bit hyper".

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I thought it was to treat ADHD so I assumed it would help.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I thought it was to treat ADHD so I assumed it would help.
    It's also used by certain groups of people who need "a few extra hours" a day to sort stuff out, like students who need to revise or really busy American housewives. Its use in ADHD is rather counter-intuitive IMHO, but I'm no expert...!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it seems like a central noradrenergic and dopaminergic agent of sorts, and
    The means by which methylphenidate helps people with ADHD are not well understood. Some researchers have theorized that ADHD is caused by a dopamine imbalance in the brains of those affected. Methylphenidate is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which means that it increases the level of the dopamine neurotransmitter in the brain by partially blocking the transporters that remove it from the synapses.
    which makes some sense, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of AAA screening using ultrasound? I went to a talk last year by someone who was quite ranty about it, and didn't think that it was anywhere near good enough to use as a population screen (especially given people are getting fatter)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    What do people think of AAA screening using ultrasound? I went to a talk last year by someone who was quite ranty about it, and didn't think that it was anywhere near good enough to use as a population screen (especially given people are getting fatter)...
    I'm no expert.

But does it really meet the criteria?

Sensitivity? Maybe
    Significant impact? Not really.
    Do we have the resources? No. The expertise? Maybe

ReputationRep:
    The lecturer was probably correct depending on circumstances.

In a population such as Norfolk and Suffolk people live far from hospitals and cannot get emergency surgery in the "golden hour" if it is leaking/rupturing.

A screening programme therefore would be a useful monitoring tool in the hope that drs could advice patients to seek help if they start experiencing S+S of rupture/leakage.

the weight issue is becoming a problem (such as detecting if a larger person has miscarried a pregnancy, but the hormones are still detectable) but it shouldn't affect care as the prognosis of a ruptured AAA in norfolk is bleak...very bleak. (due to travel time not our vascular surgeons!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPickles)
    (due to travel time not our vascular surgeons!!!)
    Ain't our fault that all the tracks have trac'ors on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Hmm, it seems like a central noradrenergic and dopaminergic agent of sorts, and which makes some sense, I guess.
    We got told it was a stimulant, but it stimulates an inhibitory centre, thus allowing increased concentration span - that's what students take it for, not the ability to stay up longer (that's what Pro-Plus is for!)

NB Self-medication is not cool, kids.

Fluffy - I don't know - does fatness make it less likely to be accurate? I'd be interested to know how many people out there have asymptomatic aneurysms >5.5cm and who never experience any problems and die of something else before it ruptures - i.e. how many unnecessary operations would we be doing on people who generally have other co-morbidities, in order to save a couple? DrPickles' point about access to surgery is a good one though - only 25% of patients make it to theatre in an emergency (as a rough estimate by my consultant) and only half of them come out alive. So improving survival rates might be nice...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.