The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

j00ni
...wales is dull

You just haven't been to the right places then ;no;
Reply 4581
Daveo
Yeah, wales and NI were the other two losers in my ranking.

NI is quite high on mine, 4th or 5th i think
Holiday time! :biggrin: I intend to do very little, if any, work for the next two weeks, before I go back and everyone starts panicking about Path.
Daveo
My first choice was Severn, ideally i'll get in there and get a job in Bristol although its going to be pretty competetive so who knows. 2nd choice was oxford. NW was 24th out of 24 :cool: They're all 2 year tracks though thankfully. Although that doesn't seem to mean much, one of the tracks that had ortho in F2 at DePreston has been changed to geriatrics :p:

what does it matter, they will change what rotations and where you do them on the whims of the local trust.
hell, my f2 job has been replaced by a job i dont want but have no choice but to take.
and because they swapped my jobs (with no consultation) rather than simply remove my job, then it means i'm "breaking contract" if i refuse to take it.
Reply 4584
I'm totally fed up of job applications plus the fact FY1s probably won't get free accommodation and I'm not even in final year yet (not to mention quartiles!).

After doing fourth year Obs & Gynae, GP and geriatrics, I think I've come to the conclusion that I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon...

Job satisfaction, opportunity to do trauma, expanding specialty and potential to make a bit of money!
Muse
I'm totally fed up of job applications plus the fact FY1s probably won't get free accommodation and I'm not even in final year yet (not to mention quartiles!).

After doing fourth year Obs & Gynae, GP and geriatrics, I think I've come to the conclusion that I want to be an orthopaedic surgeon...

Job satisfaction, opportunity to do trauma, expanding specialty and potential to make a bit of money!

After doing my geriatric rotation I came to the conclusion that the las thing in the world l would like to be was an orthopaedic surgeon :s-smilie:
Reply 4586
Jamie
what does it matter, they will change what rotations and where you do them on the whims of the local trust.
hell, my f2 job has been replaced by a job i dont want but have no choice but to take.
and because they swapped my jobs (with no consultation) rather than simply remove my job, then it means i'm "breaking contract" if i refuse to take it.
bastards
Reply 4587
Muse

I'd hazard a guess at you being in the top quartile :p:
And I bet you'll have a stonking application form.

Are you planning to stay in/around Bris or do you wanna go to London?

Oh, and ortho sounds like a plan to me.
Reply 4588
randdom
After doing my geriatric rotation I came to the conclusion that the las thing in the world l would like to be was an orthopaedic surgeon :s-smilie:

Fair point. At my placement hospital we've spent some time with Orthogeriatric doctors, who are medics but look after the co-morbidities and polypharmacy associated with the elderly before and after they have their orthopaedic ops.

What experiences did you have?
Reply 4589
Daveo
I'd hazard a guess at you being in the top quartile :p:
And I bet you'll have a stonking application form.

Are you planning to stay in/around Bris or do you wanna go to London?

Oh, and ortho sounds like a plan to me.

I'll get back to you after the fourth year exams :p: . As for FY1, I don't really know to be honest with you. I haven't investigated the size of the deaneries or practicalities yet - only thing I've been told is that there's not much point putting Bristol as second choice!
Muse
Fair point. At my placement hospital we've spent some time with Orthogeriatric doctors, who are medics but look after the co-morbidities and polypharmacy associated with the elderly before and after they have their orthopaedic ops.

What experiences did you have?

Just whenever i was with my F1 who had the crash bleep we seemed to be going up to the orthopaedic ward to see someone who was crashing/crashed because they had been overdosed with opiate or something like that. Apparently it is pretty common....
Reply 4591
What's everyone up to these days anyway?

For my murky fourth year: done Obs&Gynae, GP and just started geriatrics. Got clinical sciences and paeds left.
I've just finished paeds, dermatology and GP, and am about to start psych and neuro. After that it's O&G. Gerrys is at third year specialty for us.
Reply 4593
Spencer Wells
I've just finished paeds, dermatology and GP, and am about to start psych and neuro. After that it's O&G. Gerrys is at third year specialty for us.

Ah I forgot about derma-holiday, meant to be doing that at the moment too (I proudly used the term 'pustules' when on the phone to NHS direct - not mine, I might add!). Psych was last year for us - two bloody months. And neuro was third year but it comes back again in final year.

I can barely remember stuff done in first and second year, or third year for that matter. Neurological examinations still scare me...
Reply 4594
Muse

For my murky fourth year: done Obs&Gynae, GP and just started geriatrics. Got clinical sciences and paeds left.

So far this year, done my elective, 4 weeks ortho, 4 weeks medicine, go back to 8 weeks of GP :frown:
Muse

Intercalating so still doing psychology :frown: am actually quite missing my rotations :s-smilie: am trying to keep things relevant with my research project though :smile:
Reply 4596
oh, and I went for severn in the end so if i'm lucky and get my first choice I might see you next year :wink:
Jamie

It is increasingly more surprising if you actually get to do the rotation you signed up to at the agreed banding!! It is a complete shambles!!
Reply 4598
Daveo
oh, and I went for severn in the end so if i'm lucky and get my first choice I might see you next year :wink:

Good luck! When do you find out? And how big's Severn deanery anyway - do you apply for the deanery first and then get to narrow down your preferred choice of hospitals? I still don't know how it works!
randdom
Just whenever i was with my F1 who had the crash bleep we seemed to be going up to the orthopaedic ward to see someone who was crashing/crashed because they had been overdosed with opiate or something like that. Apparently it is pretty common....

That is a little unfair on the orthopods - far be it for me to defend orthopods. :s-smilie:

However, patient's with fractured neck of femur are a very poorly cohort (these make up the vast majority of orthopaedic arrests). They are patient's who would be lucky to survive a haircut let only a GA. However, they are kept for resus in the hope they survive 28 days to please Dr Foster (a little cynical - but there is an element of truth to it).

Furthermore, the fast-tracking of neck of femurs through A&E often means the reason why they collapsed is not actually established until the Anaesthetist sees the patient pre-op - spots the ST elevation on the ECG (which the orthopods would never look at :biggrin: ) etc etc...

I have to been to a fair few arrests on orthopaedic wards and only one has been due to opiate toxicity.

Latest

Trending

Trending