The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
Doctor is like taking a pulse - police officer is the same, but with the wrist the other way round - can get tricky if you're not thinking about what you are doing, or are thinking too much and do the thing you are telling yourself not to do!!!
Reply 5481
Demon_AS
Why don't you see if you can arrange sessions via your med school? :smile: Maybe like how we do it, via SSCs?

Saffie - BL Medsin are doing BSL sessions at the moment... http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=8034024796
Reply 5482
that'll catch my housemate out- she learnt to sign from watching other people, so she signs backwards, in a sort of mirror image.

demon, i think some society here is running a course, but yknow, I'm lazy.
Thanks Fluffy :smile:. If only I was paying attention as to which way round police officer went... I think it was right hand signing onto left wrist. :dunno:
Saffie: Tut tut :p:. I know what you mean though... I haven't even started revising yet. I'm so going to fail :frown:.
Reply 5485
ta fluffy, I'll email and see if there are any places left.

demon- yeah, well hockey season is over so I have all this free time, but don't really know what to do with it... probably work :frown:
Reply 5486
TBPFH, if I come to treat a deaf punter, I'd rather have a professional signer rather than relying on half-remembered basic lessons from years ago.

Having said that, it's suggested that you are likely to get a better response to a patient if you can say hello, at least, in their language before switching to a translator.
Heh, Fluff, some of us like playing both worlds. :biggrin:
Reply 5488
I'm signed up to the BSL course.
If I do enough clubs and socs, I don't have to do any work :ninja:

-

OK, for my medsoc essay; am I allowed to reference Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss, Mark Speight et al or is that really unprofessional, unscientific and erm, generally inappropriate? The lady marking my essay has no science knowledge whatsoever and has told us to stick to social stuff.

I think my titles going to be: 'To what extent are the media responsible for our attitudes towards drugs?'.
Reply 5489
Saffie
I'm signed up to the BSL course.
If I do enough clubs and socs, I don't have to do any work :ninja:

-

OK, for my medsoc essay; am I allowed to reference Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss, Mark Speight et al or is that really unprofessional, unscientific and erm, generally inappropriate? The lady marking my essay has no science knowledge whatsoever and has told us to stick to social stuff.

I think my titles going to be: 'To what extent are the media responsible for our attitudes towards drugs?'.

That sounds like an interesting topic. Might be worth mentioning that front page Independent story based on the research by Prof Nutt, who reclassified according to actual harm and ranked the drugs according to their effect on the body/health/social etc. That whipped up a bit of a stir.
Reply 5490
Today i spent part of the morning with the cutest identical twins ever. They were 2 years old and full of beans. we had to do a development assessment on them. Not that difficult. Until i noticed that one was running around and the other was crawling. One was speaking and the other was using makaton and squeaking.

Worked out that the second twin had a development age of about 9 months. She has cerebral palsy as a result of being shaken when she was 7 weeks old and is in foster care with her sister.

I don't even know why i'm writing this but it just made me feel...i dunno.
Sarky: :hugs: It's sad to see children in such a condition. You saw one child who was "not normal" and then an almost perfect (but healthy) copy of her right next to her. That kind of perspective is blindingly clear, and it's bound to stir that empathy in you. I guess it's that sort of empathy that leads most of us to medicine in the first place, no?

I guess maybe it's just hard to accept that such things happen to people. Maybe the trick is in finding a way to carry on anyway.
The shaken thing is the sad thing for me.
Do we know whether this was like deliberate shaking?
I really scared to touch babies now, how hard would it need for that? Are we about pushing a cradle slowly side to side or are we talking about really rough stuff?
Philosoraptor
The shaken thing is the sad thing for me.
Do we know whether this was like deliberate shaking?
I really scared to touch babies now, how hard would it need for that? Are we about pushing a cradle slowly side to side or are we talking about really rough stuff?

People have rocked babies for ever and ever. In order to damage a baby you'd have to either be really really ignorant, or for it to be malicious.
yeah they're talking about proper shaking while holding the body and not supporting the head. you certainly won't do it by accident!! babies are tough.
Reply 5495
Oh god yeah babies are much tougher than you give them credit for usually. When i say shaken, i mean violently.

Her sister was very protective of her, was really cute to see. Maybe community paediatrics is an option (although i like being in the hospital too).
Reply 5496
thanks muse, i'll definitely put that in my essay!

just went to my first BSL lesson, quite cool, the guy doing it is deaf so the sessions are in silence.

and arghh i have my special senses SSM exam tomorrow so I'm going to be up very late cramming :frown:
Reply 5497
Saffie
and arghh i have my special senses SSM exam tomorrow so I'm going to be up very late cramming :frown:
Study Something Meaningless.
Reply 5498
I prefer to be forced to revise stuff.

I should probably have picked a clinical one, seeing as I havent met a patient for a long long time, but nahh.
Reply 5499
Saffie
I should probably have picked a clinical one, seeing as I havent met a patient for a long long time, but nahh.
You've actually met a punter? :eeK:

Latest

Trending

Trending