TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your exams are all so early. My exams (and penultimate year) don't finish until mid August. Sucketh.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
How long is Renal's ban? Hope it's not too long!

When do you all finish for this term/semester/year?
1st August - back for year 5 (providing I don't fail!) on 25th August... Garrghhhh!

That aside, I've just have my first A&E shift - it was AWESOME! My first clerking was Lupus!!! HA! TAKE THAT HOUSE!
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ribbons)
How long is Renal's ban? Hope it's not too long!

When do you all finish for this term/semester/year?
I reckon a week. This means I can't spam up the forum as much, and it's the dental beer race and rag ball.. and rag week generally, so much to chat about!

I finish friday 27th june. yourself?
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eeep! Our apartment went on the market at 9am this morning. Phone call at 12 to say people coming to look round at 2.30pm... I've had to bin my SSM work (convienient excuse ) for bloody trying to hid stuff in cupboards!

It's too hot!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
How are your elective plans looking? I finally decided to stop being vague and make the big commitment of emailing some places & so am now impatiently waiting for replies! Pff, one working day already...
Still not great - have been given a couple more contacts but nothing definite yet. The Clinical School are starting to hassle me as well. :s: Had a bit of a strop at Will last night about how I didn't want to send any more e-mails because it would just mean I got rejected more, but am more calm today. Except for Path. Grrr.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Eeep! Our apartment went on the market at 9am this morning. Phone call at 12 to say people coming to look round at 2.30pm... I've had to bin my SSM work (convienient excuse ) for bloody trying to hid stuff in cupboards!

It's too hot!
wow maybe you waste more of your life on rightmove.co.uk than me! Actually probably not..

Arghhh someone make me work!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eyeknow)
I don't get how people can be so brain dead to think the term disabled is an insult, its the blatant truth
Who thinks being called disabled is an insult? That's just idiotic (although disability is open to interpretation, what someone may class as a disability isn't necessarily the same for someone else.
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
oh totally.

At least I got one mark by knowing that A comes before B and C
You get marks for knowing the alphabet in Manchester finals. :eek: Whatever next?!! Will there be tough questions like 1+1?

In all seriousness good luck to everyone doing exams at the moment.
Ataloss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
They made Renal go away

SAVE THE WHITECHAPEL ONE!!!!!!!
Poor Renal.

I have to say it seems somewhat petty and gives an aura of small penis syndrome to be banning people from forums! I know Renal can be at times be a little controversial and harsh (and I don't always agree with him) - but he gives the medicine forum character which it needs. There are enough things to worry about in the world and banning people for speaking out in forums seems ludicrous!!
Ataloss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Arghhh someone make me work!
As a wise Surgical Consultant once said to me - it costs around £200,000 to fail a year at medical school - I found that motivation to study. Hope it does for you too.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ataloss)
Poor Renal.

I have to say it seems somewhat petty and gives an aura of small penis syndrome to be banning people from forums! I know Renal can be at times be a little controversial and harsh (and I don't always agree with him)
I've had a dealings with Renal in the past but, looking at his posts in the med forum, he makes a lot of sense. It's a shame you can only rep once a day. The other day I (accdentally) anon neg repped him - I forgot to sign my comment. It was an honest mistake. Later that day I came across another post of his that I really agreed with and respected. I felt bad for neg repping him and would have given him pos rep that day if I could. I was going to pos rep him the next day instead.

However, he didn't give me time to properly explain myself and went on a full out attack at me. In this case he was way out of line. I refuse to take the comments that he made as "giving the forums some character". The mods would not have banned him without justification.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eyeknow)
I don't get how people can be so brain dead to think the term disabled is an insult, its the blatant truth. I had a spasssstic flame me for referring to a paraplegic as disabled, but that's exactly what they are, unable to use their legs!!!!
(Original post by River85)
Who thinks being called disabled is an insult? That's just idiotic (although disability is open to interpretation, what someone may class as a disability isn't necessarily the same for someone else.
Yes, if someone's in a wheelchair, of course they're disabled and calling them so is just a fact. The person has probably accepted their disability and it's not an insult. If, however, you fall into a grey area and you don't really know if you are disabled or not, and then someone calls you disabled.. it's insulting.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Yes, if someone's in a wheelchair, of course they're disabled and calling them so is just a fact. The person has probably accepted their disability and it's not an insult. If, however, you fall into a grey area and you don't really know if you are disabled or not, and then someone calls you disabled.. it's insulting.
Well I have epilepsy (which is controlled) biplolar and dyspraxia. None of those really affect me day to day living. A little social anxiety perhaps. I don't consider myself "disabled" although, is someone called me disabled (and it does happen, I have a disabled persons railcard for a start) then fair enough. I wouldn't be insulted. Would you find this insulting?

"You are disabled you freak. How is that unacceptable, do you not like to be told just how ****ed up you are? You're (sic) brain doesn't work right. Go **** yourself and your anon rep"

I do.
Ataloss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I have epilepsy (which is controlled) biplolar and dyspraxia. None of those really affect me day to day living. A little social anxiety perhaps. I don't consider myself "disabled" although, is someone called me disabled (and it does happen, I have a disabled persons railcard for a start) then fair enough. I wouldn't be insulted. Would you find this insulting?

"You are disabled you freak. How is that unacceptable, do you not like to be told just how ****ed up you are? You're (sic) brain doesn't work right. Go **** yourself and your anon rep"

I do.
This clearly occurred as part of a PM or something similar - it is not part of the public forum as far as I can see. Given that the whole conversation is not available and the fact that the other party (due to the temporary ban) is unable to explain themself, apologize or respond in any way it does not seem fair to discuss this publicly until they would be able to do so. Also I do not think this thread is the appropriate place to hold such a topic should it be deemed necessary.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I do.
Yeah if I were you I probably would feel insulted.

Anyway..... medicine.....
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
2 finals down 1 to go.
TOdays OSCE was significantly better than yesterday's disaster
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You get marks for knowing the alphabet in Manchester finals. :eek: Whatever next?!! Will there be tough questions like 1+1?
Pretty much. It was something along the lines of:

You are the F1 on the cardiology ward and are urgently called to assess a patient. You are the first to arrive and he is unresponsive, what is your first step

A) assess his breathing
B) check for airway obstruction
C) feel for a carotid pulse
D) insert an iv line
E) start chest compressions

duhhhhhhh, might as well have given everyone a mark to get them started instead of this ******ed question. It really should have been a pass/fail question imo
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This clearly occurred as part of a PM or something similar - it is not part of the public forum as far as I can see. Given that the whole conversation is not available and the fact that the other party (due to the temporary ban) is unable to explain themself, apologize or respond in any way it does not seem fair to discuss this publicly until they would be able to do so. Also I do not think this thread is the appropriate place to hold such a topic should it be deemed necessary.
Perhaps not . Although I have outlined the matter in a clear and unbiased manner. I accidently anon neg repped him. He anon neg repped my back (on what was a decent post on a recent circumcision thread) with a vitriolic comment about being a disabled freak and having a ****** brain and being ****** up. I told him he was a bully and that such insults were unacceptable and he replied with the comment I gave in my previous post.

I don't want to make a big deal of this (in that I don't want such a private to be discussed at length). I just wanted to let two things known. First of all I am the "poor Renal" comments. He deserves no sympathy after those unwarranted and ignorant attacks. I shouldn't be so sensitive I know, but he did upset me. He knows that I'm sensitive about such comments and hit me where it hurts. To have people giving him sympathy for being needlessly banned makes this worse. His ban was justified and he must serve it. Secondly that I do have some respect for him, not least his posts on the medical matters. I did intend on giving him pos rep on another of his posts (and still do when he gets back). I just want that on record right now, I was always intending to and still will (if he provides an apology).

That's all, this non-medic will now leave.
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
2 finals down 1 to go.
TOdays OSCE was significantly better than yesterday's disaster
nice one dude, well done.

Any major surprises?
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
nice one dude, well done.

Any major surprises?
Only big surprise was a station with an SP who wanted to know about driving with diabetes and DVLA etc. Didn't have a ****ing clue, apart from that and a couple of stupid mistakes it wasn't bad.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise