TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
one of the students who graduated this year had the surname kilim.
Dr Kilim - most hilarious name for a doctor ever!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My initials are ASS .

Go figure.
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
My initials are ASS .

Go figure.
Clearly your parents didn't.

I worked with a Dr Dik****. :eek: :eek:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hah, I'm an Indian, so it's not something they'd have considered - or, indeed, have any control over . It comes down to how we as a culture name our children - so that decides your first name. As Sikhs, most of us share the same middle name - Singh - and my surname... well, nothing any of us could do about that :p:

So, I guess, in the end, it couldn't be helped. Besides, I do my best to live up to my name :p:.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is a Dix and a Cox at manc too
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well it is Manchester - to be expected. :p:
originalname
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This might sound like a stupid question, but what on earth are we supposed to wear in hospitals and placements? Obviously it's just jeans and tee-shirts for lectures and practicals, but do we have to dress more formally for patient contact?
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by originalname)
This might sound like a stupid question, but what on earth are we supposed to wear in hospitals and placements? Obviously it's just jeans and tee-shirts for lectures and practicals, but do we have to dress more formally for patient contact?
Your medical school hasn't specified a dress code?
originalname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Your medical school hasn't specified a dress code?
Not yet...
Egypt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Smart trousers, shirt and tie although some hospitals now ban ties due to infection risk. Do not wear a suit until you are at least a reg!

Some consultants will let you know pretty damn quick if you are wearing inappropriate clothing....!
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Egypt)
Smart trousers, shirt and tie although some hospitals now ban ties due to infection risk. Do not wear a suit until you are at least a reg!

Some consultants will let you know pretty damn quick if you are wearing inappropriate clothing....!

cant you just wear scrubs when you start working at a hospital?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm going to need to buy a whole new wardrobe for next year. I havent had to look smart since once a fortnight medsoc in first year.

I think I need a bigger overdraft :s:
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
No. Apart from anything else, they're covered in many hospitals' Infection Control policies - not because they are vectors but because management ***** think that punters associate them with being dirty (or sterile).

EDIT: I win!
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. I've worked at a lot of places which won't let your wear scrubs outside of theatres/maternity/ITU/A&E - again an infection control measure.
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
No. Apart from anything else, they're covered in many hospitals' Infection Control policies - not because they are vectors but because management ***** think that punters associate them with being dirty (or sterile).

EDIT: I win!
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
No. I've worked at a lot of places which won't let your wear scrubs outside of theatres/maternity/ITU/A&E - again an infection control measure.

so hospital consider it better to wear your own clothes, how exactly does that help with infection control? also at the hospital i volunteer on, the nurses and doctors have to wear NHS uniforms and i have to also.

so what exactly are you sposed to wear in teaching hospitals?
originalname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Scrubs get washed less frequently?

*longshot*
Spencer Wells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so hospital consider it better to wear your own clothes, how exactly does that help with infection control? also at the hospital i volunteer on, the nurses and doctors have to wear NHS uniforms and i have to also.

so what exactly are you sposed to wear in teaching hospitals?
If it were practicable to change contaminated scrubs as you enter and leave important clinical areas then maybe scrubs would be ubiquitous, but at the moment that's not a reality.
A shirt and smart trousers suffice for most clinical areas (I never wear a tie, except for in OSCEs).
I personally would not want to wear a uniform - it's a psychological thing about the loss of professional autonomy (I can't think of other high-powered professions that have uniforms per-say, only traditional clothing).
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
If it were practicable to change contaminated scrubs as you enter and leave important clinical areas then maybe scrubs would be ubiquitous, but at the moment that's not a reality.
A shirt and smart trousers suffice for most clinical areas (I never wear a tie, except for in OSCEs).
I personally would not want to wear a uniform - it's a psychological thing about the loss of professional autonomy (I can't think of other high-powered professions that have uniforms per-say, only traditional clothing).

*changes subject*

Hows UCL?

and what GCSEs, A levels did you take and grades you got?
What work experience did you have and what offer did you receive?

(question applys to any UCL medics and any other medics)

thanks
Spencer Wells
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's already a thread for UCL medics which might be more appropriate.
My qualifications aren't really relevant - I applied 6 years ago and things were different then. The average offer has changed and the BMAT was introduced after I started. As for work experience, it's enough to know that I evidently what I had done was suitable and that I reflected on it adequately.
originalname
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
booooooooooo RUMS! hisssss! :P
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?