minim
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Hmm, probably not appropriate to wade into the thread - but:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...10&postcount=8

:eek: I hope everyone in here is doing well at memorizing textbook human anatomy & is on the way to becoming an infallible algorithm machine... (!)
Please tell me you're not serious. That was just an example I gave but if you don't think that memorizing and knowing the complete structure of the human body, amongst other qualities is necessary for becoming a good doctor, then I'd be sorry for anyone falling in your hands.
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So I'll assume you'll be able to differentiate the two parts of the Substantia Nigra, reticularis and compacta, then? And you know the segmental divisions for each lobe in both lungs? And of course you wouldn't dream of working without knowing both possible circulatory supplies of the penis would you?
Touche
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by minim)
Please tell me you're not serious. That was just an example I gave but if you don't think that memorizing and knowing the complete structure of the human body, amongst other qualities is necessary for becoming a good doctor, then I'd be sorry for anyone falling in your hands.
Kindly **** off.
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm, debating whether to neg? :p:
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Philosoraptor)
Hmm, debating whether to neg? :p:
do itttt!!!

i'm currently in the library writing a powerpoint about PCTs :s: why am i not outside....
minim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nice attitude for the future british doctors! Wowee, and we wonder why so many mis-diagonoses occur, why there's 2-3 hours (at least!) queues in A&E and the 90 year old guy with heart problems is asked to queue up while the doctors are having a nice cup of tea in between patients.

Both my parents are doctors (consultants as well) so I've learnt a lot from first hand experience and from personal opinions from properly qualified doctors from all over the world, not from 4th year med students. Furthermore, when I went to the Oxford Med School open day, one of the presenters said something like "I teach anatomy... and how can you diagnose a person without knowing where every single bone and linkage is (can't remember the exact terminology used)".. so I'm obviously wrong, together with this professor.

Seriously, there's no point in argueing as obviously your way of thinking is flawed, which is also deducible from the fact that you want to give me negative rep from expressing my view .
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, Med Students turned nasty!

Calm it, guys - differences of opinions ARE allowed .

Minim: put a crotchet in it :p:.
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just leave. trolling is against the rules. if you don't want to hear what we have to say, why are you posting in our thread.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who, me? :eek3:

But... but I thought you loved me? :bawling:

:p: Shall we move on? I doubt he's going to post again .
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by minim)
Nice attitude for the future british doctors! Wowee, and we wonder why so many mis-diagonoses occur...

... Both my parents are doctors (consultants as well) so I've learnt a lot from first hand experience
So what you are saying is that your mum and dad have misdiagnosed often and that is how you have seen them first hand.

Also Med students turned nasty? No, we just don't suffer fools.
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Who, me? :eek3:

But... but I thought you loved me? :bawling:

:p: Shall we move on? I doubt he's going to post again .
YEAH YOU GTFO!!!!111111
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ThisLittlePiggy: We will be suffering fools for the rest of our career . I can't see why a little tolerance would hurt people in here.

Bright Star: :rofl: How's it going with you?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is your point about medicine being an exact science, a need to know a 'complete anatomy' of the human body, doctors drinking too much tea or waiting lists being too long? I don't quite see how these fit together & I personally certainly don't drink caffeine.

Anyhow, I kindly emboldened the part of your quote that got the most " :eek: 'how naive is he?'" out of me - which was (in case you don't want to recheck post 6885): "Medicine is not an art. You either know it or you don't".
If the practice of medicine is merely an algorithm of precise facts, why are your Consultant parents (well done them) expensively employed? Why not replace them by a computer patients can just type into & then have technicians administer treatments..?

As a point of information: we're not all 4th year medical students in this thread & you might not be the only one who has medics in the family or has met 'properly qualified doctors from all over the world' (I hear you meet quite a few of them when you're having the experience of training in clinical medicine) so forgive me if I don't deem you The Ultimate Authority.

If you want to know my thoughts on anatomy specifically - obviously a grounding is important & depending on the field you want to go into a very thorough grasp of a specific region may be essential, but I think you're over-thinking its minute-detail-memorized-importance in general medicine - physiology on the otherhand... I am amused by the Oxford Med School open day & one presenter there being evidence of your correctness, given that's the very same medical school that were willing to bet that I would make a decent doctor one day & have found me more than passable so far. *looks for wood to touch...*
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm really stressed!!! i have a deadline for a community presentation thingy tomorrow and no internet access at home so i'm in the library but it shuts soon because it's "not term time" apparently :rolleyes: i ****ing wish.

i also have a lot of shopping to do for my holiday. i'm hoping that because it's thursday shops'll be late opening... i'm flying out tomorrow night so i kinda hope so!!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bright star)
i'm really stressed!!! i have a deadline for a community presentation thingy tomorrow and no internet access at home so i'm in the library but it shuts soon because it's "not term time" apparently :rolleyes: i ****ing wish.

i also have a lot of shopping to do for my holiday. i'm hoping that because it's thursday shops'll be late opening... i'm flying out tomorrow night so i kinda hope so!!
Ouch, I hate traveling for that exact reason: the actual travel is so stressful!

I hope it all sorts itself out for :hugs: :console:.
bright star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol yeah i'm sure it will. i'm just not in the mood right now.... at all!! i might just hand in the ****ty thing i've done so far... it's only a pass/fail thing. you basically pass if you do it. i'm pretty sure i've written something that vaguely makes sense.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol yeah i'm sure it will. i'm just not in the mood right now.... at all!! i might just hand in the ****ty thing i've done so far... it's only a pass/fail thing. you basically pass if you do it. i'm pretty sure i've written something that vaguely makes sense.
If all that's happening is that you're getting into a stress when you read over your work, I suggest you print what you've got and submit it - after all, time is of the essence, and if you're not adding anything to it then there's no point getting worked up on it. If you have some time, then go and grab some coffee and take it easy for a few mins. Then come back, read over what you've got, make any changes and then leave it . Once you've made up your mind, you should let it lie and then it comes down to luck and fate lol.

Good luck with what you decide, though .
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
I personally certainly don't drink caffeine.
I was always convinced you were a real medical student who knew what they were on about, now I'm not quite sure....
minim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just leave. trolling is against the rules. if you don't want to hear what we have to say, why are you posting in our thread.
Are you really that dumb now? So whenever someone disagrees with you, their posts are considered as trolling.. ermm.. right!
For the record, I'm posting here because one of your 'holy' Med Soc thread's respected members quoted me, so why should I not be argueing my point?

Elles, the former example I gave was regarding the attitude of some doctors and was not related to the need to know your anatomy. Of course, most of it is the NHS's problem.

I've done 3 months of work experience in a hospital in Romania and it's amazing how even though the technology and funds available are a lot lower, the overall job and effectiveness is a lot better and the diagnosis are assigned more accurately. Maybe it's just my opinion but when I did my shadowing in the UK and it's currently ongoing, countless tests are made on the patient and even then, the wrong diagnosis is selected and time is unecessarily wasted.
I put this down to medical education and a not so carry attitude towards the patient and their needs, as well as lack of enough experience before receiving the qualification and being allowed to practice.

Seriously, not being able to recognize TB after countless tests and time spent in the hospital is irresponsible, no matter how old the disease is is OK?? Why was it discarded?? Lower down your arrogance and stop trying to cover up for other doctors, whoever said that the doctor who couldn't fix a diagnosis should not be blamed nor apologize. Indeed, apologies are pointless in such a situation and it may not be completely the doctor's fault, but the education's rather yet your point of view is flawed.

The style of medicine teaching is what differs from the two countries, and why do you think Oxford and Cambridge won't switch to the PBL style from the traditional teaching style with lectures, basic learning and only then clinical work? Because PBL is crap! You need a basis to build up from, not mix everything together and hopefully something will stick, together with 80% of private study from the student's part. Understanding through lectures and proper teaching is required to make a good doctor. Anyway, that's another field of discussion.

No need to pick on the 100% anatomy knowledge fact now; I've only used it as an analogy to illustrate the naive training of doctors in the UK but it's not the actual students' fault, and unfortunately as most of you who can't even agree to part of what I said, have nothing to compare it to. You've only seen what you were taught in your local hospital.
The clever ones often write in the Student BMJ about education in different countries and about the differences. There was an article about medical education in China in... June's edition (maybe) regarding the longer hours and heavier study requirements. I'm sure the students there, like in Romania are more open minded and with their feet on the ground than those of you who can't stand someone walking into your little med soc thread.
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So you're not even a medical student? What in the name of stark-staring **** do you think you're doing lecturing actual students and house officers who've got the *******s to stick their name to medical opinions when you have never done any such thing? You've just watched people and decided you know what's what about everything in medicine and medical education you jumpy, upstart little ****.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?