The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6960
<tangent>

How much Surgery do most people have in their course? Introductory session of my core final year Surgery rotation today where the Person In Charge was bemoaning the lack of Surgery on the curriculum elsewhere - especially at a not so nameless medical school he recently external-examiner-ed for :wink: though he conceded they were expected to know lots of medicine! We're a 50-50 for finals questions apparently, although there's a slight skew to time spent on Medicine with the nature of most of the "Clinical Options" we get allocated in the first part of the final year.
Reply 6961
In yr 3 we have one 5 week placement on breast, urology, general, vascular and something else I can't remember. Then 2 1/2 weeks in orthopaedics.
In yr 4 we have one 7 week block on obs and gynae
In yr 5, I'm not exactly sure but I think it is 8 weeks on surgery.

So yeah, more medicine here I'd say (thank god!)
Reply 6962
and care to disclose the not so nameless medical school?! I'm intrigued!
Reply 6963
At BL, 3rd year clinical exposure is split 50:50 medicine 'v' surgery (13 weeks of each). 4th year is specialities, so it comes up as and when (O&G, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, paediatric surgery). 5th year is split - we do "medicine" (4 weeks), "surgery" (4 weeks), HCoE (4 weeks), Acute and Critical Care (3 weeks), GP (2 x 2 weeks), 2 SSMs and our elective (plus the nasty F word)...

I would definitely say that my medicine knowledge is eons ahead of my surgery know how, though..!

Do you only have exams once a year??
Reply 6966
No - just get kicked out ones. This year (4th) we've had 3 sets of in course assessments (one after each block), and then our end of year exams, which test you on everything up to that point (i.e. potentially 4 years worth of shizzle)...
RFUCMS:
3rd Year:
10 weeks surgery, 10 weeks general medicine, 5 weeks ortho+rheum, 5 weeks COOP, 10 weeks medical specialties
4th Year:
15 weeks each of psych+neuro, paeds+GP+derm, O&G+Infection diseases
Final Year:
4 weeks general medicine, 4 weeks surgery, 4 weeks A&E, 4 weeks GP, 8 weeks elective, 4 weeks Oncology, 2 x 4 week SSMs.
Reply 6968
Fluffy
At BL, 3rd year clinical exposure is split 50:50 medicine 'v' surgery (13 weeks of each). 4th year is specialities, so it comes up as and when (O&G, orthopaedics, neurosurgery, paediatric surgery). 5th year is split - we do "medicine" (4 weeks), "surgery" (4 weeks), HCoE (4 weeks), Acute and Critical Care (3 weeks), GP (2 x 2 weeks), 2 SSMs and our elective (plus the nasty F word)...

Is ICS1 medicine or surgery? Or are they both half and half? Surely you could be put on 'surgery' but actually just have a surgery ward and be doing mainly medicine-y things?
Reply 6969
Half and half - for each of ICS1 and ICS2. If you're on surgery, you're in theatre/clinics etc... If you're ward clinging, you're not doing yourself any favours... Also, surgery is set up very differently to medicine in most hospitals - you tend to have general surgical wards, with your patents split between them, so do not have a single base (unlike ortho etc)... So you never stay on one ward long enough to embed!
Reply 6970
Scary, I wish my first placement had lots of students, least then there'd be safety in numbers.
Reply 6971
At Manchester our teaching/attachments was pretty much 50:50 for 3rd and 4th years (with exam content reflecting this), with 5th year having 4X 4 week modules which could be undertaken in most specialties (so you can do no surgery at all, as I did), plus 8 weeks each of GP and elective. In fact I only spent a total of 3 weeks in surgery in 5th year, and all of these were on elective!

The final exams though did seem to have disproportionally little surgical OSCEs (and even the ones they did have were almost all clinical examination, rather than spotters of vivas) or written questions from what I remember.
Reply 6972
Saffie
Scary, I wish my first placement had lots of students, least then there'd be safety in numbers.

I don't know - I found the expectations were higher when there were more of us around, where as when it was just little old me, I had a much better relationship with those on my surgical team and they seemed a lot more encouraging...
Reply 6973
Fluffy
Tell me - the admin fee alone nearly made me stop breathing!!! When do you go away?

Leaving for Chicago for three weeks beforehand then off to Boston for September. Congrats on the Academic F1 job BTW!!!!
Reply 6974
Fluffy
I don't know - I found the expectations were higher when there were more of us around, where as when it was just little old me, I had a much better relationship with those on my surgical team and they seemed a lot more encouraging...
Thanks, that's reassuring.

I think I'm also worried I'll hate clinical medicine and have to quit, but there's not much point worrying :cool:
Reply 6975
Saffie
I think I'm also worried I'll hate clinical medicine and have to quit, but there's not much point worrying :cool:
Clinical stuff is what we're here for, don't worry, most people find it to be a great reaffirmation of what we're doing.
Fluffy
£220 - *sobs*

FOr how many weeks? Some of the schools in Aus are >$800 !!

Urgh, applying to Australia is so friggin hard.
I am so lucky to have landed an A&E offer at Melbourne.... but not after many phone calls from my mobile to MIPS (my god, indemnity is such a hassle) and several clinical schools in Australia :frown: Painful, so many obstacles.

I'm actually also ridiculously lucky that my CRB is dated exactly one year before the last day of my elective period which allows me to use it!
Muse
Finally got an elective at the big H in the US of A! Talk about cutting it fine... And now the extraction of vast quantities of cash begins...

Sounds sweet, where is it exactly? And when?

Expenditures..tell me about it - and that's before even arriving there!

I was seriously contmplating USA, but the 'electives' are so hardcore over there as you essentially follow an American student's core timetable (I've heard of 70 hr weeks at Emergency department). I settled for Auss as theyre more laid back, and because Ive never been to Aus/NZ, whereas Ive travelled around a bit of the USA already.
Reply 6978
My 2 mates and I got 'expelled' from our elective... they had this crazy idea in their heads that we were there to study?!

I got called into the dean's office 3 weeks into it (my 2 mates were too chicken to face the music) and was told he'd had med students from all over the world attend for electives... and we were the laziest and stupidest :biggrin: Fun times!
Reply 6979
idiopathic
FOr how many weeks? Some of the schools in Aus are >$800 !!

Urgh, applying to Australia is so friggin hard.
I am so lucky to have landed an A&E offer at Melbourne.... but not after many phone calls from my mobile to MIPS (my god, indemnity is such a hassle) and several clinical schools in Australia :frown: Painful, so many obstacles.

I'm actually also ridiculously lucky that my CRB is dated exactly one year before the last day of my elective period which allows me to use it!

8 weeks - $440...

Trying to get a new CRB at the moment. Think I've finally cracked it - School have just decided/realised they can help, so a big nasty barrier removed!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending