Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be going out tonight with other half's work colleagues and their other halves...

I'm gonna be about as much fun as syphilis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I'm supposed to be going out tonight with other half's work colleagues and their other halves...

I'm gonna be about as much fun as syphilis
    Syphilis gets good near the end.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    There are 6 days before you start your job - why on earth would you want to know your rotation, on call rota etc... ? :p:

Honestly.
    oh, i have a rota, just don't know what my jobis.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how you look at insanity I guess! Knowing my fricking look I'd end up at Newham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    oh, i have a rota, just don't know what my jobis.
    Wow - you have a rota!! :eek: Is it for the right specialty? :p:

I do wonder when medical staffing departments will realize it is ideal for us to have more than 24 hours notice of our rota - especially when invariably they will want somebody to actually be on call! I know they expect us to be flexible - but we are not (despite common perception) married to the job!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    at least getting syphilis might be fun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Wow - you have a rota!! :eek: Is it for the right specialty? :p:

I do wonder when medical staffing departments will realize it is ideal for us to have more than 24 hours notice of our rota - especially when invariably they will want somebody to actually be on call! I know they expect us to be flexible - but we are not (despite common perception) married to the job!! :mad:
    Yes, I have a rota for my entire first placement
    I have 2 weekends in the next 4 months, and every other week, a late shift from 1pm-9pm. That time is spent 'on call' covering of all the medical wards along with someone else.
    I just wish I knew what I was doing for my 9-5ish, normal job. It is supposed to be geriatrics. From what I can gather (yes, nobody is exactly sure) I'm the new F1 for the stroke team who seem to have lost an SHO and been given me instead. Given that normally there is only a GP staff grade on weds and thurs and the consultant (both of whom happen to be on holiday next week) I could be a little bit in the ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Yes, I have a rota for my entire first placement
    I have 2 weekends in the next 4 months, and every other week, a late shift from 1pm-9pm. That time is spent 'on call' covering of all the medical wards along with someone else.
    I just wish I knew what I was doing for my 9-5ish, normal job. It is supposed to be geriatrics. From what I can gather (yes, nobody is exactly sure) I'm the new F1 for the stroke team who seem to have lost an SHO and been given me instead. Given that normally there is only a GP staff grade on weds and thurs and the consultant (both of whom happen to be on holiday next week) I could be a little bit in the ****
    2 weekends in 4 months - how did you manage that? An F1 - who actually has a rota + few on calls = ?intimacy with medical staffing personnel.

As for the stroke ward - just walk round with a patella hammer - "hitting" patients somewhere resembling the appropriate anatomical landmark - you will be fine. :yep:

On a serious note - I am sure you will not be the only FY1 starting on 6th August who will be the only member of their team. Remember there is always somebody with at the end of a bleep who can give you advice - don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of medicine... medical staffing will try to **** you at every opportunity. They don't want to pay for locums even when it's unsafe to have nobody else. Don't be afraid to kick up a fuss if you're on your own, your bosses and other doctors (who matter) will support you if you piss off some staffing manager (who doesn't matter) as long as you're sticking up for the patients.

And I don't have my next rota yet... I start next week and refused to formally accept my job until they gave me an idea of hours and banding (who else would be expected to accept a job without knowing the pay and hours?)... the ****ers keep telling me it hasn't been decided yet

ReputationRep:
    Soooo glad I went out! I think I'm drunk enough to sleep*. Huzzah!

*by sleep, I clearly mean pass out!

ReputationRep:
    I am no longer welfare officer!!! Miiiidniiiightttt, noooot a soooouuunnnddd frrrooooom thhhhheeee paaaavveeemmmeeennnttt!!!

Glad I did it, but never again!

ReputationRep:
    congratz, good luck tomorrow! -today, even xxx

ReputationRep:
    Not a sound from the pavement? Did the pavement take drugs, split up with its girlfriend, fail resits (And get a needlestick injury )

ReputationRep:
    That's right. I used a smilie. AEH used a smilie. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    Whoop.

That's right. I said whoop. Shoot me now

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with whoop, but you're about forteen hours early. Save it for when it matters.

ReputationRep:
    well done kids, excellent TSR linguistics.......:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick

Adrenaline is displacing the lovely fear blocking alcohol from every receptor that matters

ReputationRep:
    you didn't drink enough! elementary mistake!

ReputationRep:
    AEH and Fluffy try to talk like the internet kids. ROTFLMAO. Or something, I don't understand.

Pre-results idiocy and poor decision making - Just say no kids.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.