Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Did you? Buggers - I've got 4 A's from my 4 pre-clin SSCs and not a bean of a well done!!! Good thing that they are at least acknowledging people though, which I guess is nice!
    :yep:

They should do more acknowledging good grades really.

ReputationRep:
    Jamaica Jamaica Jamaica Jamaica...

Not there yet but I will be soon! Woo!

I've decided to leave my kidneys here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Jamaica
    No - she volunteered - :rofl: - the old ones are the best ones (well maybe not).

Have a fantastic time - you deserve it.

Do you want me to babysit your kidneys for you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Saffie. & of course Renal & Fluffy!
    On an SSC note... what are people's thoughts on non-clinical ones? We have to pick 8 weeks worth of post finals ones & my instinct is to go for ones that sound exciting to me (but perhaps make me look like someone who doesn't necessarily want to be a doctor :o: ) = medical publishing, management, education etc.
    But other people are talking about covering areas that we've haven't done much of in the standard course, or getting more useful pre F1/surgery experience. So will I be really under prepared? Will they look weird on my CV? Hmmm.

Have fun on the elective, Sarky!
    Ribbons - I have a yes from the Cook Islands. Who I had problems finding on a big wall map the other day until I remember the gem of knowledge that the world is *round*, seems they're so far over they're on the otherside. & makes for confusing travel arrangements being +1 day to NZ then -1 day as you cross the line! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Elles, I'd be sorely tempted to look outside of clinical medicine, especially post-finals and amongst preparation for practice and shadowing courses. I don't think that SSMs will have that much influence, certainly not if you don't want them to be. And who knows, a management SSM or education SSM might help you get into a masters or on to courses later in the career.

ReputationRep:
    SSMs don't have much influence at all. You'd usually be hard pushed to find a place on job application forms to list them. So do what you want not what you think might look good.

ReputationRep:
    So, my fellow medics, because I was hit by a car before one of my exams this May, I ended up not taking it, and I have it next week.
    It's very likely I'll fail. No motivation at all.
    Anyway, who wants to check I've got the inguinal canal right? Superficial ring is in the aponeurosis of the external oblique, with intercrural fibres crossing over the top. Deep ring is in the transversalis fascia. The inguinal canal is parallel and 2-4cm above the inguinal ligament, which goes from the ASIS to the pubic tubercle.
    Please tell me I've got that right?

ReputationRep:
    Looks good, only addition I'd make is that the inguinal canal lies 4cm above and parallel to the medial half of the inguinal ligament.

Hope you're feeling better.

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, took me far too long to work out if that was correct or not. Btw, did anyone ever bother to revise before they went back after the summer holidays?

I feel like am losing all my nawledge and samarts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Bugger, took me far too long to work out if that was correct or not. Btw, did anyone ever bother to revise before they went back after the summer holidays?
    Nah, and since I'm avoiding resits, I won't ever have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Nah, and since I'm avoiding resits, I won't ever have to.
    Well done! I guess I'd feel like a bit of a sack if I did proper revision. I'll just watch a bit of discovery home and health,channel 275 on virgin media, and pretend that watching "A+E" and "Critical Condition" count towards it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for an education SSM if the chance came up. I mean, you'll get enough clinical medicine experience working but you're barely trained at all in teaching despite how big a part of the job it can be, particularly if you're going to be in hospital medicine.

Plus, outside of teaching, I find Medical Education pretty interesting as it is. Everyone's got an opinion on it, it would be good to get really stuck into it for a while and actually know what you're on about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Ribbons - I have a yes from the Cook Islands. Who I had problems finding on a big wall map the other day until I remember the gem of knowledge that the world is *round*, seems they're so far over they're on the otherside. & makes for confusing travel arrangements being +1 day to NZ then -1 day as you cross the line! :p:
    I'm going to the Cook Islands too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Elles

Is there somewhere that lists all the foundation programs (for normal people to see)? I know a few deanaries have them on their websites but most don't seem to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Touche)
    Looks good, only addition I'd make is that the inguinal canal lies 4cm above and parallel to the medial half of the inguinal ligament.

Hope you're feeling better.
    Cheers. Yep, I'm fine now, bar the numerous additions to my scars.

ReputationRep:
    omg freak out. start today

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I should really check when I start... I think it's tomorrow... would be ****ed up if it was today too

*goes to find paperwork*

G'luck j00ni. Kick some arse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j00ni)
    omg freak out. start today
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! I'm currently doing my resits for 2nd year med, if all goes well I'll be in 3rd year at Newcastle uni next term Anyone from newcastle around here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    So, my fellow medics, because I was hit by a car before one of my exams this May, I ended up not taking it, and I have it next week.
    It's very likely I'll fail. No motivation at all.
    Good luck Got this today:

Congratulations! Your place at University College London (University of London) (U80) to study Medicine (6 years) (A100) has been confirmed.

Bar rabies, I'll join you in London (albeit at the better place down the road) :woo:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    Anyway, who wants to check I've got the inguinal canal right? Superficial ring is in the aponeurosis of the external oblique, with intercrural fibres crossing over the top. Deep ring is in the transversalis fascia. The inguinal canal is parallel and 2-4cm above the inguinal ligament, which goes from the ASIS to the pubic tubercle.
    Please tell me I've got that right?
    If this is education, I will mourn my way to it with lots of pints :no: . My poor brain can't handle that after a year of bugger all

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.