The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7320
bloody deductions! what a pain in the arse!
Reply 7321
On the plus side we now have internets, work is fun and I've just been paid.

Absolute chaos on my ward at the moment which is fun!
DrPickles
So tired! But i'm still loving work. But why do some SHOs think that a potassium of 2.7 isn't something to get worried about?

Because generally it isn't. :smile:

The lowest potassium I have seen is 1.2. That is a little more worrying. :p:
Reply 7323
Bloods annoy me, I swear they're mostly just random numbers. They seem to jump all over the place :mad:

Although a creatinine of 1000 was quite impressive last night!
Daveo do you mind looking at my PS? i've just posted it and come on this thread and see that you are a PS helper.
Daveo
Bloods annoy me, I swear they're mostly just random numbers. They seem to jump all over the place :mad:

Although a creatinine of 1000 was quite impressive last night!

You will also be amazed how often the lab rings such deranged results at 1705 just after the patient's own team have left. :yep:

Maybe - we should play a TSR what's the highest and lowest results you've seen.

For me:-

Hb =3.2
WCC = 0 (low) and 115 (high)
Plts = 0 (low)
Na = 101 (low) and 174 (high)
K = 1.2 (low) and 8.1 (non-haemolysed high)
Ca = <1.1 (low) and 4.2 (high)
Urea = 110 (high)
Can't remember highest creatinine - but have seen far few over a thousand.
Reply 7326
Ataloss
You will also be amazed how often the lab rings such deranged results at 1705 just after the patient's own team have left. :yep:

For me:-

Hb =3.2
WCC = 0 (low) and 115 (high)
Plts = 0 (low)
Na = 101 (low) and 174 (high)
K = 1.2 (low) and 8.1 (non-haemolysed high)
Ca = <1.1 (low) and 4.2 (high)
Urea = 110 (high)
Can't remember highest creatinine - but have seen far few over a thousand.

Tell me about the 5 past 5 calls :mad:!!!
a WCC of 95 was the worst i've seen so far WCC wise, last night whilst I was on cover. Made me rather scared.
Reply 7327
hb 0.1 pt with a ruptured aaa in itu being agressivly resusitated. She lived and was the talk of the hosp for weeks!
K 14.6 on a corpse... 22 year old ?how long down when brought to a&e... Did bloods while we continued optimistic crp and established there was no hope.

Bet I win on those :biggrin:
:smile: :smile:
More positive today
Everything happens for a reason and next time round im going to kick arse big style. Now a couple of months to revise and write my appeal out.
Reply 7329
Good. You'll do it - I have mucheos faith in you.

Good luck, and anything I can do to help, just holla.

xxx
Fluffy
Good. You'll do it - I have mucheos faith in you.

Good luck, and anything I can do to help, just holla.

xxx

Thankyou - :smile:
Im gonna do this - i have 30 odd years to be a doctor yet.
Might aswell be a medical student for a one more year!
Just a quick check with you guys - could you take a look at the last page of the work exp thread for me? Some kid's asking about scrubbing up in theatre, and I'm thinking it's probably not something he should talk about on his PS etc, but if they're really excited about it etc, I don't want to piss on their chips if it is actually ok. Just thought if you're not allowed to take blood, scrubbing for theatre is probably a little bit dodgy on insurance grounds!
Yes I would be wary of mentioning it. If I saw it on the personal statement of the candidate I was interviewing I'd be tempted to question deeply the issues of consent and such.
Helenia
Just a quick check with you guys - could you take a look at the last page of the work exp thread for me? Some kid's asking about scrubbing up in theatre, and I'm thinking it's probably not something he should talk about on his PS etc, but if they're really excited about it etc, I don't want to piss on their chips if it is actually ok. Just thought if you're not allowed to take blood, scrubbing for theatre is probably a little bit dodgy on insurance grounds!

Scrubbing up as in taking part or just scrubbing up to watch?

I was allowed to scrub up and watch.
Ataloss

Saw a patient that had been ?septic arthritis (strange signs/symptoms) with platelets repeatedly in the 1000s. later on they thought ?polymyalgia... basically noone had a clue.

Also breathing rates of >100 /min in ITU and 55/min in A&E.
Reply 7335
Reply 7336
Spencer Wells
Yes I would be wary of mentioning it. If I saw it on the personal statement of the candidate I was interviewing I'd be tempted to question deeply the issues of consent and such.
I have never been in theatre when the patient wished otherwise.
Reply 7337
Renal

LOL! I'm gonna be soooo late for lectures! I guess I should actually head to the tube station!!! :o:
Reply 7338
Fluffy
LOL! I'm gonna be soooo late for lectures! I guess I should actually head to the tube station!!! :o:
I figured I'd go for the second lecture. Easter Bunny was battered, and she lives miles away!
Spencer Wells
They were all MBBS(Lond) until Imperial and UCL got permission to award their own degrees in 2005 and so now there's MBBS(Lond), MBBS(Imperial) and MBBS(UCL).

I'm leaning in part towards UCL, because I have been here for nearly 6 years, and so there's some loyalty there, but of course it doesn't mention the Royal Free or Middlesex, both of which are steeped in medical history, and Lond pays homage to that.
I do already have BSc(Lond), so maybe I should complete the set.

Of course in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a bit of difference, and at least I have the choice, the kids in the years below me don't get to chose, they will all have MBBS(UCL).
Personally if I had the choice of MBBS(Lond) or MBBS (QM) I'd go for MBBS (Lond) because otherwise it would be like agreeing to get rid of all the BL history and just sacrifice it to QM.

Not sure that's much help but it's what I'd do

Latest

Trending

Trending