Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Blimey - has anyone got a sedative for Bobzilla.

Don't know about his "demented lady" - but I think he has driven poor Helenia demented!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Blimey - has anyone got a sedative for Bobzilla.

Don't know about his "demented lady" - but I think he has driven poor Helenia demented!!

Maybe the lady wasn't demented until he turned up at Stepping Hill Hospital or wherever it was :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It all seems like a convoluted way of stating the obvious...??? Maybe that's just me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wideawake)

Maybe the lady wasn't demented until he turned up at Stepping Hill Hospital or wherever it was :eek:
    Could be a good case report:-

"Rapid onset dementia caused by work experience student".

NEJM and the Lancet would be fighting over it.

ReputationRep:
    ^At least they're attempting to be interesting. Most of the statements in the PS Helper subforum are so banal.

ReputationRep:

lol!!! :yep: :yep: :yep:
    Unless it was in another member of the MDT, then that's just life

ReputationRep:

Quick! It's mine. I want the publication so I can get the best job cos I don't have AAAAAAAAA at A2 or 30 A* GCSE so without this paper I have no chance and will be destined to never make the shortlist for jobs. Well, according to freakaleak's daddy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    ^At least they're attempting to be interesting. Most of the statements in the PS Helper subforum are so banal.
    But do you think they are succeeding? Looks desperate to me. :o:

ReputationRep:
    But do you think they are succeeding? Looks desperate to me. :o:
    Well if I were an admissions tutor, and I had to chose between a grammatically correct but really boring PS and its opposite. I'd chose the latter. (And force them to take an English class as part of the offer!)

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, Saffie. I'm losing heart to do these medicine PSes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)

I was referring more to the fact that it seems to have been posted in one form or another about 100 times (slight exaggeration) throughout the subforum in last couple of hours.

ReputationRep:
    I'd chose which ever was written in plain English, using the space saved by lack of word-i-dom-ness to better effect...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theredsox)
    Ditto, Saffie. I'm losing heart to do these medicine PSes..
    There's a load of psychology and bioscience PS' that we're expected to do too. They're all so badly written in both style and content.

(And sometimes they don't even say thank you!)

ReputationRep:
    I'd always go with interesting.

Unfortunately a lot of personal statements, including my own to some degree, are not very interesting. Especially since everyone has done everything that everyone else has ever and will ever do.

So what is left other than a show of effort?

ReputationRep:
    Quick! It's mine. I want the publication so I can get the best job cos I don't have AAAAAAAAA at A2 or 30 A* GCSE so without this paper I have no chance and will be destined to never make the shortlist for jobs. Well, according to freakaleak's daddy anyway.
    Ah see thats where you're going wrong. If you had those grades (like i do) life would be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I'd chose which ever was written in plain English, using the space saved by lack of word-i-dom-ness to better effect...
    Well obviously, ideally, you'd have a concise statement that talks about all the right things.

But people can be verbose with plain English- which is usually the problem.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of Plain English is to avoid prolixity...

*ironically, not Plain English*

ReputationRep:
    But if you have a long winded statement with simple words, or a long winded statement with pretty, interesting words, you have to go for the latter. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. I'd wonder "how the hell is this candidate ever gonna explain anything to a patient in words they understand?"

ReputationRep:
    I'm with Fluffy on this one. Plain English is the way forward.

Reminds me of when people say someone has "passed over" or "gone to heaven" and others don't realise they are being told the person has died. Be clear and don't try and sound fancy or clever and there is less chance of misunderstandings. All part of the dreaded communication skills!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.