TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
2010? Oh spunkmuffins, that's just wonderful. Stupid guinea pig year. Lets all celebrate extending the teach-to-the-test culture into medical practice. Oh, and Little Piggy, I would agree with you with enthusiasm but it gets dangerously close to medical blogger whinge territory and I don't like that part of town. Full of mean people.

And on the speciality thing, its a bit of a grey one. I put down that I'd worked in a gastro dept for work experience, which was damn handy when my interviewing consultant turned out to work in it. And again, the "There's nothing in the world I'd do except Geriactric Neuropsychiatry" thing is a bit much. But then again, I saw a graduate student interview this year talking about how her MSc project has made her want to be a respiratory physician, which is quite reasonable given she has detailed direct experience in the subject.
Touche
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ataloss)
Does anyone have a copy of the payscale for Foundation and ST trainees?

For some reason, they appear to have disappeared of all the usual sites where they used to be posted!
Struggling with payroll? :rolleyes:
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In a statement I just reviewed, someone said they were particularly interested in psychoimmunology! I didn't/don't even know if such a thing exists!
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Attachm...octor,handbook
Page 65.
Cheers for link.

Unfortunately it is password protected and I have given up my BMA membership.
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Touche)
Struggling with payroll? :rolleyes:
How did you guess?

There is more sense in talking to end-stage dementia patients than payroll sometimes. :mad: :rolleyes:

Just to rub salt into the wound - they are now taking 44p remittance each month for sending the payslip as well. :mad:
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
With regards to saying what specialty that you want to do I think you are really letting yourself in for some punishment.

If I were an interviewer I'd test them on it though not to be a ******* about it but to just see if they know what they are on about.

So, if they are going to mention they'd best be prepared for some decently challenging question on the why and the what of it.
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
In a statement I just reviewed, someone said they were particularly interested in psychoimmunology! I didn't/don't even know if such a thing exists!
Another bullet point I need to include when I put out a petition for my medical dictionary licensing scheme. This kind of nonsense has to stop before someone starts talking about reversing the polarity of the tachyon emitters and we all end up in Doctor Who.
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AEH)
Reversing the polarity of the tachyon emitters
That's Star Trek mate!

Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Aye - we have at least one psychoimmunology clinic at BLT - a psych and gastro joint clinic...
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Aye - we have at least one psychoimmunology clinic at BLT - a psych and gastro joint clinic...
I can just imagine that:

"What case have we got next?"
"IBS"
"And after that?"
"IBS"
"Then?"
"IBS, IBS and IBS"
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So it is all Gastro and no psycho or have all the psycho's got bad gastros?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
I can just imagine that:

"What case have we got next?"
"IBS"
"And after that?"
"IBS"
"Then?"
"IBS, IBS and IBS"
There are some interesting direct links between psychiatry and IBD, with a presumed aetiology based in neurotransmitters... Before you even hit the IBD related psych problems...
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why isn't it called psychogastroenterology?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my patients are all ill
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is at BL, but it's just one sphere of a bigger picture... Psych issues also impact on numberous other conditions - other specialitis I've hear of running joint clinics include rheumatology and endocrinology, and apparently it all seems to be a distinct entity from psychosomaticism...
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Today, there was no doctor looking after one of my consultant's patients (about 12 in total), since I had a day off in lieu of the bank hol, the reg and sho are on A/L, and the consultant was doing his private list. Hopefully there was cross cover from the other F1, but there's no guarantees.

Fingers crossed nobody croaked it
ThisLittlePiggy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
my patients are all ill
Dude, that sucks.

Have you spoken to them and asked if they have tried not being ill? You know; just to see if they might like it?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
Today, there was no doctor looking after one of my consultant's patients (about 12 in total), since I had a day off in lieu of the bank hol, the reg and sho are on A/L, and the consultant was doing his private list. Hopefully there was cross cover from the other F1, but there's no guarantees.

Fingers crossed nobody croaked it
Sounds like classic NHS workforce planning...
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AEH)
2010? Oh spunkmuffins, that's just wonderful. Stupid guinea pig year. Lets all celebrate extending the teach-to-the-test culture into medical practice. Oh, and Little Piggy, I would agree with you with enthusiasm but it gets dangerously close to medical blogger whinge territory and I don't like that part of town. Full of mean people.

And on the speciality thing, its a bit of a grey one. I put down that I'd worked in a gastro dept for work experience, which was damn handy when my interviewing consultant turned out to work in it. And again, the "There's nothing in the world I'd do except Geriactric Neuropsychiatry" thing is a bit much. But then again, I saw a graduate student interview this year talking about how her MSc project has made her want to be a respiratory physician, which is quite reasonable given she has detailed direct experience in the subject.
Have they actually said that it is going to be 2010?

If so where and can I have a link :p:
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
Dude, that sucks.

Have you spoken to them and asked if they have tried not being ill? You know; just to see if they might like it?
Its ok, it is the SHO's fault, since my temporary SHO arrived, all my patients have got sick - that or they were sick before and I just didn't notice
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed