The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7820
I vividly remeber my first successful patient cannulation, not a clue for venepuncture though.

Have to say, it did make me feel good to see how excited she was, reminded me why I do this job, and that I still love medicine despite my protestations :smile:
j00ni
I got hugged by one of our 3rd year students today after I guided her through her 1st real patient venepuncture

bless

:lovehug: :wink:
j00ni
I got hugged by one of our 3rd year students today after I guided her through her 1st real patient venepuncture

bless

Maybe she (or he) was looking for an excuse to hug you. :p:
Elles
I think I would have hugged anyone who had comprehensibly guided me through either on a real patient on the wards! Actually, I still would probably have hugs available for tips... :p: I'm awesome on the model arms though. :o:

Desperately thinks of tips. :p:

Seriously, tension on the skin is very important - particularly in those old ladies with wobblers!
Reply 7824
Had a F1 struggling with an ABG on not even my patient (she was stabbing the scaphoid?!), I pointed out extensor pollicis longus, abductor pollicis longus, the radial styloid, the ridge of the first metacarpal, the scaphoid, palmaris longus, the course of the radial artery, let her palpate the wall of the artery and made sure she could actually see the artery bulging through skin (on a skinny man). Then I put my index finger 2mm ulnar to the radial artery and got her to go in right where I said... she got it right away... did I get a ******* hug? No... I got asked if I could put in a venflon too... (I pissed off to theatre instead :P)
Reply 7825
Touche
Had a F1 struggling with an ABG on not even my patient... did I get a ******* hug? No... I got asked if I could put in a venflon too... (I pissed off to theatre instead :P)

We have ABG models too, so I know where to go for that at least. :yep:

But have a virtual :jumphug: you can share with Ataloss. :wink:
I'm a bit nervous.... I have just been asked to produce an official report of the head of department :s-smilie: I don't know how to do that :cry:
Reply 7827
Ataloss
Sarky - how are you hun? :hugs:

Are you still in Jamaica or on your way to NY now?

Have a fantastic time when you get to NY and don't forget my pressie. :p:

I'm in NYC now, I love it...nearly enough to do the USMLE!

How was your b'day?

I have your present with me, but they keep complaining about being tied up. Something about illegal and human rights..
Reply 7828
Ataloss
Maybe she (or he) was looking for an excuse to hug you. :p:

She, thank goodness.

I was bored (managed to d/c all but 3 of my patients this week), and let them practice cannulation on me this afternoon. Non of them managed to get it sited, though they have created some impressive bruises :p:

Try again tomorrow if i have any veins left

edit: My tip would be to visualise in your head what the 3-D anatomy is of what you are going for, be it vein artery or other, and what action/force it will take to get your venflon/needle/etc successfully in - then go for it in one continuous motion with confidence that you will get it. Rarely fails for me.

Oh and for cannulas, don't advance over the needle, draw the needle back a mm or two, and advance the whole cannula nd needle into the vein - I drastically improved my success rate overnight after being taught that trick
Got a very confusing leter from the uni yesterday. Made me worried again.
Reply 7830
fairy spangles
Got a very confusing leter from the uni yesterday. Made me worried again.

i know what you mean about confusion - i've just been passed on a message from the dean asking for me to arrange an appointment... Due to the fact that the medical school were apparently unaware that i was in a wheelchair, despite occy health clearing me and the senior advisor of the med school knowing what's going on! Communication obviously not working very well!
My uni sent me a letter saying the board of examiners decided ive failed - so i cant come back to uni.
But then the letter says the uni havent taken into account a concession by my department and college - who said there were no worries and i could resit the exam. So the decision will change. So exactly what was the point of the letter??
I mean whats going on??
Reply 7832
fairy spangles
My uni sent me a letter saying the board of examiners decided ive failed - so i cant come back to uni.
But then the letter says the uni havent taken into account a concession by my department and college - who said there were no worries and i could resit the exam. So the decision will change. So exactly what was the point of the letter??
I mean whats going on??

Sounds like classic medical school-university agenesis of the corpus callosum... :wink:
Fluffy
Sounds like classic medical school-university agenesis of the corpus callosum... :wink:

Damn right :smile: and like it!!
Well its a waiting game now - stoopid paperwork.
Reply 7834
All is forgiven, I didn't get a hug... but she cooked me dinner and twas good :smile:

Felt bad about the venflon... but ahh well :p:
Touche
All is forgiven, I didn't get a hug... but she cooked me dinner and twas good :smile:

Felt bad about the venflon... but ahh well :p:

Blimey - you must be good at teaching ABGs. :p:
Sarky

I have your present with me, but they keep complaining about being tied up. Something about illegal and human rights..

Show them my pic - they will be begging to come. :biggrin:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AS WELL.

:party:

Enjoy your birthday treat in New York. You deserve it.
I'm disturbed at how much I'm enjoying GP-land.
Reply 7838
Ataloss
Show them my pic - they will be begging to come. :biggrin:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AS WELL.

:party:

Enjoy your birthday treat in New York. You deserve it.

I don't know if we can talk anymore. I don't know what you did to get it, but we were meant to get one together!

How could you do this?
Reply 7839
Pay day tomorrow! woop

Latest

Trending

Trending