TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
Does anyone here think that there's a conflict of interest if I'm an interviewer for UCLmed while using these forums (or moderating NMM)?
I interviewed last year and may do again this year. I stepped away from NMM because there are too many BSMS applicants there and I would probably be more involved with them. However here as it is a more general forum (plus I am really bad at remembering usernames) I would be less likely to be able to identify them in at interview or link them to their username so I thought it was ok.

I think as long as you are sensible it should be ok.
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I interview for the school but I also do open days, both pre and post offer, so I've had discussions with the office about what you can say where and when, which I just apply to this. As I said last week, I'm easily traceable enough that if I ever did say/do anything out of order I'd be quickly pulled up for it. You just have to know the limits your college sets on things and be as open and honest as possible.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sigh. This medical student stuff is scary. Everyone immediatly expects you to be some sort of walking BNF. I had someone I'm pretty sure who genuinely tried to ask me about their medication.

And yes, I was sober enough to then emphasize about 5 times repeatedly as much as I could that I know nothing, and that their GP knew more. Ahh the joys of responsibility
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ta for the advice peeps.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
Sigh. This medical student stuff is scary. Everyone immediatly expects you to be some sort of walking BNF. I had someone I'm pretty sure who genuinely tried to ask me about their medication.

And yes, I was sober enough to then emphasize about 5 times repeatedly as much as I could that I know nothing, and that their GP knew more. Ahh the joys of responsibility
I had my 6th form tutor asking me for advice on his bowel habbit after I got a med school offer (despite quite obviously not having stated) that was awful :eek:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First all day clinical placement in a few hours... :eek:.

Learning the triple diagnosis with regards to ischaemia, burns and atheroma.

I'm actually reading up on it now before I sleep (having come in from a drinking circle...)

/nerd :getmecoat:
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)

I'm actually reading up on it now before I sleep (having come in from a drinking circle...)

Enjoy it.

To be honest people will be more impressed if you turn up after a good night's sleep not looking hungover than if you actually know something on your first day. :yep:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ataloss)
Enjoy it.

To be honest people will be more impressed if you turn up after a good night's sleep not looking hungover than if you actually know something on your first day. :yep:
I only had two pints, mate. I have a three pint limit on a night out - never cross it.

I've never been hung over in my life lol.

But thanks . I'll do my best! Just reading up on clinical presentations of burns and making sure I know the gradings/symptoms.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Will that really help you on your first day?
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll do my best! Just reading up on clinical presentations of burns and making sure I know the gradings/symptoms.
Is your first plecement on a burns unit or sth? Not the nicest place to start if you ask me but good luck, hope it goes well.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:no: very ridiculous.

good luck though. my first clinical day is monday.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by idiopathic)
Will that really help you on your first day?
:dontknow: Didn't really come up too much (in a question and answer sense, anyway). But we've only done one session... I expect it'll be more relevant in this afternoon's session.

The annoying thing is that I have one session in one hospital, and the next in another hospital. Badly organised, methinks.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
:no: very ridiculous.

good luck though. my first clinical day is monday.
Well, in truth I more or less knew it all from my PBL, just didn't want to miss out anything .

The first half has been cool... took a history and briefly examined a patient with cancer history stretching over three organs... that was interesting. Next half is all PBL-stylee, so it probably won't be as fun.

Also, we'll be establishing triple diagnoses etc, so (in reference to what idiopathic said) yes, I really do think my reading up on it will help me .
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is it just me who doesn't know what a triple diagnosis is?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Nope I don't have a clue :confused:
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Nope, I haven't a clue either. Though that probably also applies to many many more things in my case :p:
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only context I have heard it before was during psychiatry attachment with regards to patients who abuse substances, have a psychiatric disorder such as depression or schizoprenia and HIV on top of that. I guess it could refer to any patient that has 3 different problems going on.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think a triple diagnosis is just when you do three diagnostic tests. I've heard it in the context of breast cancer- you do a breast exam, then mammogram then biopsy... but apparently thats not a quadruple test but dunno what the other is.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spencer Wells)
I properly love you. I'm so stupid that I couldn't find the form on that very site earlier.

We too were taught Calgary-Cambridge (though a lot of the transfers seem to think it's Cambridge-Calgary, they've haven't read the original paper) in 1st year and again at the start o 3rd year.
Indeed, embedded into our first PDS session......
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I think a triple diagnosis is just when you do three diagnostic tests. I've heard it in the context of breast cancer- you do a breast exam, then mammogram then biopsy... but apparently thats not a quadruple test but dunno what the other is.
That's triple assessment, not triple diagnosis.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (147)
27.68%
No (384)
72.32%

Watched Threads