TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
does shiny have any inclinations to become "dr. shiny" judging by the amount of posts in the medical forum? or are you just stalking your mother for child allowance..?
I want to be Doctor whether I want to be an MBBS as well only time will tell
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
doctor in what, may i ask? i'm sure the medical world could do with some superhero kindness - although not the best way to fund a porsche as i'm sure you've gathered.
I'm doing DPhil at the moment (following in my mother's glorious footsteps ) so if all goes well I shall be a Doctor of Philosophy just like Fluffy!

I don't think I have good bedside manner Too much engineer in my blood.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and you're bedside manner couldn't be as bad as mine. my surgery aspirations were soon spotted during my first interaction with a patient last week
Hehe Given the manners of some doctors you begin to wonder whether good bedside manner is really a requirement for medicine
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think if I went to med school after Oxford, Fluffy would get real scared
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i can give 100% assurance that sensitivity and the potential for a good bedside manner can be blagged at interview
Yay! There's hope for me yet!
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what made you want to do a DPhil? there must've been some ultimate career aim in mind and not just the excuse to doss for a couple more years and be called dr!
You underestimate the shallowness of Shiny

Dunno, just didn't fancy getting a job so I thought I'd have a go at this PhD malarky! Besides this medical imaging stuff is useful.
anita_xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
there must've been some ultimate career aim in mind and not just the excuse to doss for a couple more years and be called dr!
aah, don't underestimate the power of wanting to be called 'Dr' - I had an interview today for one of my PRHO posts for next August and when they asked me 'Why do you want this job?' I had a reeeeeally hard time not saying 'So people will call me Doctor!!'
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Getting your debit and credit cards and cheque book changed is very exciting!!!
Yikes! I'm almost as shallow as Shiny Only joshing!
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Getting your debit and credit cards and cheque book changed is very exciting!!! Yikes! I'm almost as shallow as Shiny Only joshing!
* loves his mum*
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
can you get freshers' flu off PRHOs?
You can probably get MRSA off them

But I technically still might have some nice Epstein Barr virus stored in my tonsils, though in these cases () I hope I haven't passed it on.

Diseases aside, congratulations, I think!
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how did it go? and i'll call you doctor if you wear a white coat and stethoscope

it's strange how surgeons spend 5 years anxiously waiting to be called doctor, and then another 5 trying to get rid of the title!
Interview started well, but went downhill towards the end I think it was after he asked if I had any publications to my name :eek: that I got freaked out!
Got another one tomorrow, so fingers crossed! As for wearing a white coat and stethoscope, I always do; you know, got to maintain an image, never go out without my white coat and stethoscope, how else can you force your way to the front of the queue at the students' union bar?? ('Excuse me, excuse me please, I'm a DOCTOR, need to get served!')!!

As for surgeons, well they're just strange full stop!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Woooooooo hoooooo! 6 weeks in and med still rocks

Got our first exam timetable though - gulp!! December 17th will be a very scary day
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Got our first exam timetable though - gulp!! December 17th will be a very scary day
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine as for medicine rocking, of course - I've been here nearly 4 1/2 years and it's never stopped rocking for me!!

and yesterday I found out that it's all been worth it because I HAVE GOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF PRHO JOB FOR NEXT SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really AM going to be a DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

...GiNuWiNe...
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by anita_xx)
Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine as for medicine rocking, of course - I've been here nearly 4 1/2 years and it's never stopped rocking for me!!

and yesterday I found out that it's all been worth it because I HAVE GOT MY FIRST CHOICE OF PRHO JOB FOR NEXT SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really AM going to be a DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

omg u are so luuckkyyy!! im going to try my hardest to become a doctor :mad:
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow! That's fantastic news Anita. So pleased for you

What's your housejob?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

CONGRATS!!!
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Haha! My mums gots exams
joyabbott
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It'll be the start of the foundation scheme
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Congratulations! That's really great news, I'm glad it all went well Good luck, you'll be able to tell us all about the realities of life in the NHS - maybe a scary thought...
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
Wow! That's fantastic news Anita. So pleased for you
What's your housejob?
Well done anita!
is that foundation thing in operation yet, or are you doing the traditional 6 months med, 6 months surgery?
Thanks so much guys!!
Am over the moon as PRHO jobs for those of us who want to stay in Sheffield are fairly competitive (180 jobs for our year of 230) and I certainly never expected to have my first choice especially as a lot of people in my year with FAR FAR better academic records than mine haven't got jobs

My housejob is 4 months medicine, 4 months surgery and 4 months A&E. Really wanted this job as am seriously considering A&E as a career; however, it's the ONLY housejob which has A&E and hence is crazily competitive
It will be the first year of my foundation programme; however, since we're the first year to do the foundation in the Greater Sheffield area they haven't yet finalised the 2nd year programme (!) and we'll have to apply for those separately in Jan 2006. TBH it's quite nice to only have to worry about one year at a time and not to have to think about the 2nd year just yet

now I've got the job, all I have to do is pass the finals... :eek: :eek:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1116)
78.93%
Leave (298)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed