TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
See, I was going to ask if you wanted to go to the pub tonight, but clearly you have more important things on your hands. :p:

Randdom, I'm really sorry to hear things are so bad at the moment. I'm always around via PM or whatever if you need a chat. :hugs:
Pub tonight would be awesome :P
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
I think I've reached new personal levels of medic geekdom. I've got a student bleep. And I went back to EAU after dinner to check up on a patient. And I offered to order tests and write up drugs charts. The docs must think I'm their new *****...
Your placement sounds good then - it must be pretty close, unless youre staying in the accomodation? :eek: I would have loved to have done stuff like that in my first attachement but my hospital was 18 miles away and I didn't have a car then. But it's the best way to learn, so make use of this motivation (might not last long )
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I think I'm geeky too, I was in for 12 hours today....

I dont really write up drug charts/order tests though. Just take histories/ follow people around/sit in clinics/take blood/attempt to do venflons. I've decided I don't like A&E though, people are much more serious/worried/stressed there. Even though the people on my resp ward are more ill, its easier to somehow detach yourself

Randdom, I hope your mum makes a speedy recovery :hugs:
1st year clinical students are usually useless to A&E, unless you're after practicing some bloods and cannulation. Best off clerking new patients in EAU then presenting to the RMO and consultant at the post-take ward round.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm staying on-site at the moment!

I let one of my friends cannulate me (he'd never done one before), much to the surprise of most of the staff on the ward. My bag got drenched, as did my shoes, but it was pretty painless and a first-attempt . Awesome.

I just got back from A&E. I think I need to bring up a TTFO scenario in my next simulated patient session.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by idiopathic)
1st year clinical students are usually useless to A&E, unless you're after practicing some bloods and cannulation. Best off clerking new patients in EAU then presenting to the RMO and consultant at the post-take ward round.
we weren't completely useless..

anyway did my first venepuncture today.

urghh i need to learn stuff but i'm too tired.
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Balls, I lived in A&E in my third year, in both hospitals. When they're understaffed and there's crash/trauma flying through the front door, medical students clerking through the headaches and abdo pains can be genuinely useful. Provided you can dependably cover all the right questions (Which is easy, given they're written down for you) and make a presentation up to a SHO to make any necassary further examinations and sort prescriptions etc, then you can contribute.

Saying that, I suppose if you're A&E/EAU is set up differently you may actually only see those presentations in EAU.

Also, on a total side note, I almost managed the straight green ten before I got a bit of red from the most random post from July.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can actually sorta infer stuff from ECGs now :proud:. And I'm really liking firms now that my consultant's away. My team are lovely and all said that the consultant was too harsh on me before. He's entirely ridiculous.

I haven't done any clinical exams yet though and probably should. But I don't really want to.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't done any clinical exams yet though and probably should. But I don't really want to.
How are you clerking without?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
got punched by a patient the other day, a crazy hypoxic guy who won't let us go near him at all, for anything!

Incidently I love ABGs, I find them really satisfying. Did one on a fitting person the other day which was pretty interesting.

Doing LP clinic week after next which should be fun :eek:
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really wish I'd not gone to a **** med school!
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
How are you clerking without?
oh does 'clerking' intrinsically mean including clin exams? Cause I just do the history taking really. Actually I have done one clinical exam come to think of it.

Firms are really taking over my life.. I miss having time.

fluffy, if you weren't at the GMC meeting, you got lots of praise for being an amazing welfare officer.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh does 'clerking' intrinsically mean including clin exams? Cause I just do the history taking really. Actually I have done one clinical exam come to think of it.
A 'clerking' depends on your level of training;

A finalist, for example, would be expected to present a targetted history, examination results, investigation requests/results, diagnosis/differential and a management plan.

As a third year I think you should be aiming to at least get a history, some examinations and some idea of what's going on.

I'm down your way at the end of this month I think, I'll sort you out.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
fluffy, if you weren't at the GMC meeting, you got lots of praise for being an amazing welfare officer.
I tried to make it - got caught up at GP so missed the AGM (guy had a heart attack in surgery at about 6.15pm). Caught up with Mally, Prof C, JZ et al in The Sam after.
I LOVE medicine! I'm so, so, so happy at the moment! I can actually get up in the morning !!! My GP practice is fantastic! We're being treated like doctors, seeing patients independently... The buzzz!!!!! Days like today make it all worth while
AEH
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I tried to make it - got caught up at GP so missed the AGM (guy had a heart attack in surgery at about 6.15pm). Caught up with Mally, Prof C, JZ et al in The Sam after.
I LOVE medicine! I'm so, so, so happy at the moment! I can actually get up in the morning !!! My GP practice is fantastic! We're being treated like doctors, seeing patients independently... The buzzz!!!!! Days like today make it all worth while
Its cheesy, but its days like that which make up for weeks like I've had this week. I can deal with anything if I know that kind of buzz is still there to be had.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
It dragged, you didnt miss much.

I think I love medicine too. If my actual consultant was around it'd be a very different story though.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
got punched by a patient the other day, a crazy hypoxic guy who won't let us go near him at all, for anything!
If it's any consolation I'm having a run of bad luck, got punched by a second year dentist (from the info I've got), when i was with LAS my crew got assaulted and bitten by a mad somalian and whe I was on the radio in control when of the FRU's T-boned someone and ****** himself up.
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had quite an interesting morning in the wards earlier this week.

I was in with a patient and the teaching plan of the day was to take a history and perform some of the basic exams that we have been taught; such as the end of bed, respiratory and the cardiovascular exams.

So there I was examining away when the patient,God bless him, thought that I really ought to see his inflamed and abscess ridden scrotum...

Well... my screwed up face with nervous cry really said it all and the lad bag was promptly stowed away...

Then we laughed for about 5 minutes solid about him being keen to exhibit his mangerines.

Not exactly the shining example of professionalism that day.
*tink*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
FRU's T-boned someone .
I might be being dim, but can I have a translation??! FRU? T-boned??
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did a congenital heart disease clinic today and saw some ridiculous stuff including a tricuspid atresia (1 functioning ventricle)

******* cooool!!
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *tink*)
I might be being dim, but can I have a translation??! FRU? T-boned??

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads