TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by arcoxia)
Well, not quite everyone in Southend pronounces it with an aarf in the middle.
We do.

What medical school did you say you go to again? :shifty:
arcoxia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
We do.

What medical school did you say you go to again? :shifty:
Leeds
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hardly a step up in the world.
arcoxia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
Hardly a step up in the world.
I never insinuated that it was a step up in the world, merely that not everyone in Southend possesses chav-like tendencies.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never insinuated that it was a step up in the world, merely that not everyone in Southend possesses chav-like tendencies.
:rolleyes:

And I'm sure not every medic at leeds has no sense of perspective, but you could be forgiven for getting that impression...
arcoxia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
:rolleyes:

And I'm sure not every medic at leeds has no sense of perspective, but you could be forgiven for getting that impression...
What's perspective got to do with anything? I was just making the point that there is a portion of Southend's population that doesn't suffer from linguistic fallacies.
wideawake
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bit of a sense of humour failure? Or a chip on the shoulder? Honestly, I read it a all being meant light heartedly and is now being blown way out of proportion. Don't take such banter so seriously - life is too short as the saying goes
arcoxia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wideawake)
Bit of a sense of humour failure? Or a chip on the shoulder? Honestly, I read it a all being meant light heartedly and is now being blown way out of proportion. Don't take such banter so seriously - life is too short as the saying goes
Yeah yeah, sure thing.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My best friend is from Westcliff, and that's EXACTLY how she spells it Get a grip!
arcoxia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
My best friend is from Westcliff, and that's EXACTLY how she spells it Get a grip!
Ok Ok! Did she go to Westcliff high?
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I did a successful ABG today and venflons too so s'all good.
Well that makes you 100% better than the locum F1 we got last week.

The post I am in at the moment, ortho, there are 3 training F1 places and 1 locum F1. Since october, when the old locum (who was awesome) left, we have had a series of pretty crud locums come and go, but the one we got last week took the biscuit.

Due to incompetent departmental medical staffing, I was on my own sat/sun, covering urology as well, and since the SHO didn't show up, playing at being ortho SHO on call

Monday, a new locum shows up. Seems like a nice guy, but has had absolutely zero induction, so despite there being only me and him to cover the 70-odd patients I agreed for him to shadow me the first day. Fair enough I thought, I can show him how the trauma list/ward round works, give a crash course in how things tick and how to use the 'puters before being able to give him half the jobs list to get on with and bleep me if he needed help.

First off, I ask him to do a Rx rewrite, 5-10 mins of a job which I have been doing since 3rd year. Took him half an hour (and even then he made about 5 errors, and had to ask for help twice).

Next, I sent him to cannulate and take bloods from a pre op pt. He bleeped me about 15mins later, after failing to get the cannula in and not even managing to do venepuncture. I went to find him, and got the stuff and went to the punter. He had the kind of veins that even the most inexperienced clinical med student would salivate over the opportunity to cannulate, and our locum had even missed the anticubital (which was about as think as my thumb).

What folowed that day was a litany of incompetence including, but not limited to, not knowing what an ABG was, why someone would want to do one, or how to do one. Not knowing how to assess hydration status, even basically. Not knowing what salbutamol nebs were (as in not knowing a) what nebulisers were, and b) what salbutamol was). He sloped off for about 5 fag breaks, went for breakfast and lunch (I am lucky if i get one or the other even on a good day with a full compliment of F1s)

By mid afternoon, I had grown mighty sick of every job taking twice as long as I had to either hand hold him through even the most basic procedure or explain every little thing I did. So I went and found the clinical director and told him I'd be better off without, and so the dept might as well save some cash (or draft in a medical student and pay them £22 per hour - I am on about £15ph btw if you assume I only work my contracted hours)

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

So I worked 86hrs sat to fri last week - 3.5 days single-handed on the wards, 1.5 with the locum, and a blissful 2 days with one of the other training0grade F1s. Not to mention that I did 2 days as SHO-on-call, and had worked 10 hour days the mon to fri before that (with only 2 F1s on the ward).

CAN NOT WAIT til Dec 5th
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How foreign are they?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
That's awful

Where did they train
Touche
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ahahaha j00ni...

A couple weeks ago I turned up to find I was the only ortho junior around (we have no house officers)... oh dear we already had 28 outliers in addition to full trauma/ortho wards... and 13 new admissions for the trauma round (4 of which needed consenting for theatre)... oh and I was on call (with general surgery cross cover). Magically I managed to attract 26 referrals during the day so had to clerk those too.

Was the first time I've ever looked at my watch halfway through a shift and got angry at time for not passing faster
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I suppose it's some consolation that our SHOs don't cross cover gensurg, that would have been interesting.

Two of the locums were Nigerian, one was awesome and is now an SHO at the trust's DGH (where the elctive cases go), the other was rubbish (as in confirming death on a patient who was on the Liverpool Care Pathway, then once he'd confirmed death PUT OXYGEN ON THE (dead) PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The one last week was slovakian. Spoke perfect English, but I'm not convinced he was a real doctor, but I got him fired so it's all good :p:
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
j00ni's rant
Well that makes you 100% better than the locum F1 we got last week.

The post I am in at the moment, ortho, there are 3 training F1 places and 1 locum F1. Since october, when the old locum (who was awesome) left, we have had a series of pretty crud locums come and go, but the one we got last week took the biscuit.

Due to incompetent departmental medical staffing, I was on my own sat/sun, covering urology as well, and since the SHO didn't show up, playing at being ortho SHO on call

Monday, a new locum shows up. Seems like a nice guy, but has had absolutely zero induction, so despite there being only me and him to cover the 70-odd patients I agreed for him to shadow me the first day. Fair enough I thought, I can show him how the trauma list/ward round works, give a crash course in how things tick and how to use the 'puters before being able to give him half the jobs list to get on with and bleep me if he needed help.

First off, I ask him to do a Rx rewrite, 5-10 mins of a job which I have been doing since 3rd year. Took him half an hour (and even then he made about 5 errors, and had to ask for help twice).

Next, I sent him to cannulate and take bloods from a pre op pt. He bleeped me about 15mins later, after failing to get the cannula in and not even managing to do venepuncture. I went to find him, and got the stuff and went to the punter. He had the kind of veins that even the most inexperienced clinical med student would salivate over the opportunity to cannulate, and our locum had even missed the anticubital (which was about as think as my thumb).

What folowed that day was a litany of incompetence including, but not limited to, not knowing what an ABG was, why someone would want to do one, or how to do one. Not knowing how to assess hydration status, even basically. Not knowing what salbutamol nebs were (as in not knowing a) what nebulisers were, and b) what salbutamol was). He sloped off for about 5 fag breaks, went for breakfast and lunch (I am lucky if i get one or the other even on a good day with a full compliment of F1s)

By mid afternoon, I had grown mighty sick of every job taking twice as long as I had to either hand hold him through even the most basic procedure or explain every little thing I did. So I went and found the clinical director and told him I'd be better off without, and so the dept might as well save some cash (or draft in a medical student and pay them £22 per hour - I am on about £15ph btw if you assume I only work my contracted hours)

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

So I worked 86hrs sat to fri last week - 3.5 days single-handed on the wards, 1.5 with the locum, and a blissful 2 days with one of the other training0grade F1s. Not to mention that I did 2 days as SHO-on-call, and had worked 10 hour days the mon to fri before that (with only 2 F1s on the ward).

CAN NOT WAIT til Dec 5th
Me either

It's my 21st on that day :yes:.

As for your rant... reminds me a lot of an episode from Scrubs, where JD has his first intern under his wing...
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Renal...about Leeds....ahem.....

j00ni, sounds like you need an enthusiastic third year with you. Ours are six weeks in, so they should be able to hit a vein by now. Or if you want to pay me £22/hr to clerk general medical patients and fill out discharges for you to sign, I'll go for it.

Reminds me of the "SHO" (I use the term in the loosest possible sense) I had on my firm once. For someone supposedly training in Cardiology, I could beat him far too often in the third year ECG revision game from the SpR's Big Book of William and Marrow. And god help the patient who goes through his suggested "Resus Protocol".....the less said about that the better.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think I like surgery, its really disorganised. well, my SHO seems happy to teach

SHO: 'so, what do you do when you've got an emergency AAA?'
'refer him to the surgeons?'
SHO: 'we are the surgeons'
'err'
SHO: 'yeah i suppose we could refer it still'

Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I don't think I like surgery, its really disorganised. well, my SHO seems happy to teach

SHO: 'so, what do you do when you've got an emergency AAA?'
'refer him to the surgeons?'
SHO: 'we are the surgeons'
'err'
SHO: 'yeah i suppose we could refer it still'

To paraphrase the cheese and onion; "call someone more senior, now"
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My life today consists of dodging reading up on haemoglobin (which I should be doing....and reading Belle de Jour. Such is education.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed