TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
My elective fund now has £1,450 from standard uni/college grants, yay.
I got £1000 from mine Really surprised to get so much! Flights should be covered
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Apparently the consultants are obsessed with ABPIs and the F1s have to do them all the time.
I'm doing vascular at the mo... If a patients is ours and has limbs, they get their life ABPI'ed up! I was trusted to go off and do one on my own this week (as part of a full clerking on a new patient) - hopefully a good sign!
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's strange... ours just get duplexed and/or angios.

-
anyway, in update to earlier in the week moan: I think the reg may have felt slightly guilty for being a witch all day weds as she offered to teach us sometime.

Our consultant was also kinda sweet on thurs and he's taken teaching us into his own hands in clinics. Apparently he never usually teaches students. He was telling the nurses that we were good students on friday (how fickle). Evil reg was off on friday and on consultant ward round, I was the only one who knew stuff about the patients, I think I made the SHO look like an idiot.. oh how the tables turn.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why the hell did I think it was a good idea to go in tomorrow? I just can't face driving over there right now, have been up since 6 doing bloody regatta and want to sleep all day.
Although I like my current placement and am learning/doing lots more than I would in Addenbrooke's, I'm just getting fed up of the itinerant lifestyle, especially when you add in my regular trips to London - I've hardly spent any time in my own house recently, and am sick of living out of a suitcase and always having to pack to go somewhere else. *sulk*
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Poster in H&R says they've taken about 37 paracetamol tablets & gets told things like (some have subsequently been removed by Mods):

Oh, if you go to A&E they'll just pump your stomach that's horrible and you'll do it anyway by being sick.
"Well you won't die but you will be very sick and feel horrible for a while"
"you should not waste A&E time it won't kill you. You will just vomit a lot and feel ****** for a while"
"there is no need for A&E unless you took about 47836945 doses"
"You should be ok, I have had around the same amount before and it just made me ill."
"Drink lots of fluids and make sure there is food in your stomach. The more you do this the more it will dilute it within your system and get it out quicker."

:mad:

I hope they have heeded recommendations to go to A&E - I think I can guarantee what the response from NHS direct would have been if they went for the phone them advice (!). & pleased I saw the thread & posted while they were still online.

Hmm, I think there needs to be an OD sticky (e.g. with the BNF info I posted which seems to answer most of the how much, what might happen, what treatment there is questions) & mods need to lock and refer to it.

If anyone hasn't done OD yet & wants the learning points of why I was so :mad: the BNF C&P post is here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=49
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Poster in H&R says they've taken about 37 paracetamol tablets
It is H&R after all...
The Formidable Tani
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So I've been doing epidemiology for a few weeks now and I really don't see the point? Is it actually important? I feel bad though, I told myself that I'd attend every lecture so that I don't fall behind or get into bad habits, but epidemiology's so bloody stupid and pointless that I can't help but bunk it every time there's a lecture for it =[
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
It is H&R after all...
True. But still..?!

(As in happens it wasn't someone going Anon or with a minimal post count or a troll like posting history, so I'm reasonably concerned about the impact idiotic advice could have had.)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's so worrying!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the most scary is the ejit who says paracetamol works by the placebo effect and that they should know that it's not dangerous as their mum is a nurse and their dad makes paracetamol... Why have those posts not been removed (much in the same way their brain obviously has been )???
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
the most scary is the ejit who says paracetamol works by the placebo effect and that they should know that it's not dangerous as their mum is a nurse and their dad makes paracetamol... Why have those posts not been removed (much in the same way their brain obviously has been )???
Try reporting some if you still can?

I went through loads (some of the choice quotes from above), but the Mod asked me not to 'report every single post in the thread' because they were dealing with it. I guess it was annoying for them but while the OP was still online & expressed concern about wasting A&E time (!) I felt quite strongly that things be got rid of.

& for future reference I think an accurate sticky might be the way forward, then any mod online who may or may not know anything about it themselves could just lock & refer? Helenia...
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
the most scary is the ejit who says paracetamol works by the placebo effect and that they should know that it's not dangerous as their mum is a nurse and their dad makes paracetamol...
I suppose N-Acetyl Cysteine is an anti-placebo then.
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Theres always been worrying threads in H&R. At least Helenia didnt have to ring the police this time.

ARghhhhhhhh I dont want to go back to my firm
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
At least Helenia didnt have to ring the police this time.
Helenia has had to phone the police? For a real emergency? Jeezo.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Theres always been worrying threads in H&R. At least Helenia didnt have to ring the police this time.

ARghhhhhhhh I dont want to go back to my firm
She had to ring the police :eek:
What do people used/have used for physiology? We're suggested **** and ****, I just want an idea of decent texts to compare it to....
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
She had to call the police?!

On a happier note... I have something shiny on my ring finger as of last night. :bunny: :blushing:
Spencer Wells
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
She had to ring the police :eek:
What do people used/have used for physiology? We're suggested **** and ****, I just want an idea of decent texts to compare it to....
Richards designed the physiology course that you're being taught, so, if you want to read the text that goes along with it, then you should use that one.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
On a happier note... I have something shiny on my ring finger as of last night. :bunny: :blushing:
CONGRATS!!!
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
She had to call the police?!

Yeah someone ODed and it didn't seem like they were going to get help.

Congrats
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah someone ODed and it didn't seem like they were going to get help.
Does it seem like this person who doesn't want to waste A&E time is?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (849)
80.7%
Leave (203)
19.3%

Watched Threads