Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its quite pricy, but alot people swear by a pair of Church shoes. If you can get them from the factory shop, they'd be about £80-150. But they do last about 20 years and they're uber confortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yup I know the feeling very well

I am asking for these for Christmas which I am hoping will help.

For me while my feet do hurt it seems to be my back which causes more problems.
    Yeah, they are about the closest to pretty and comfortable that I've seen. The trouble with walking boots, normal crocs etc is that they just don't really go with my clothes - they all look kind of stompy. I want to get some spongy inserts but I'm not sure that will solve the problem completely. The weird thing is that I can walk for miles in all my pairs of shoes with no problem, it's the standing about, hovering and walking a couple of steps at a time (i.e. ward rounds) that are the worst.

My F1 has just finished a paeds job, where almost everything was done differently from how it is on my ward. And our new ST1 was away for the first two days taking his MRCP. :rolleyes: It seems to be starting to fall into place, though I'm slightly concerned by her general dislike of students (we apparently eat all the toast/drink all the tea/steal drinks from the bar in the mess) - I worry I'm only tolerated because I'm vaguely helpful at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    we apparently eat all the toast/drink all the tea/steal drinks from the bar in the mess.
    Isn't that all that happens in Ipswich? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Isn't that all that happens in Ipswich? :P
    If it is, it's not me doing it. And I had to listen to large amounts of *****ing from various doctors about it when the mess ran out of teabags.

ReputationRep:
    If it is, it's not me doing it. And I had to listen to large amounts of *****ing from various doctors about it when the mess ran out of teabags.
    I think that might have something to do with some of the stage 1s...:s

The guys who were there on the first block sort of didn't do anything but mess around in the mess, it seems:/

ReputationRep:
    it is a sad time indeed when the mess runs out of biscuits!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I need to do some work this weekend. I've been feeling ill on and off this week - for example yesterday I repeatedly felt the urge to throw up in my sociology lecture....time to learn about nerves and blood vessels .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Are the jobs that the F1 has to do things that you could help out with? If so you could offer and get to practice and get in their good books?
    I do help.

But then the consultant tells me to be in theatre... I get arsey texts saying I have to go to some med student teaching, as well as the F1 needing me. So I just help the F1.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have massive problems with their feet while on clinicals? No matter what shoes I wear, if I'm on a long ward round my feet are screaming at me by the middle of the day. I don't know if I'm missing something crucial in the footwear department or if I just have horrific posture, but after several long days this week it's crippling me.
    M&S Footgloves or Hush Puppies...

How has house officer handover gone for everyone else? Mine has been a little stressful but seems to be settling in now.
    Ours is on Wednesday...

ReputationRep:
    Hello love, how's hell?

ReputationRep:
    Hellish!

Nah - it's OK. I'm lovin' surgery!!! Scary, huh!

You?

ReputationRep:
    Enjoying the pajama party, got to see and do some very cool things and I'm ridiculously close to the union for a change.

ReputationRep:
    Motivated by wanting to explore exford St tomorrow, I've done more work in the last 20 minutes then the last 2 days combined....

ReputationRep:
    Busy busy people, spare a sec to help a fresher.

vagus nerve X carries autonomic to the thoraic viscera and most of the abdominal viscera. Great. It also carries some somatic nerves to the laryngeal and phartngeal skeletal muscle - I'm assuming that these are direct innervation? Ie out of the VR and direct to muscle? and the rest of the sympathetic autonomic nerves go through the usual WRC etc....?

Thankies.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it as another one of the 'mixed' cranial nerves, carrying motor, parasympathetic and sensory. It doesn't carry sympathetic innervation though... In the head, sympathetics arise from the cervical ganglia and track along arteries, and are separate from the cranial nerves.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be in clinics. I don't like theory anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Think of it as another one of the 'mixed' cranial nerves, carrying motor, parasympathetic and sensory. It doesn't carry sympathetic innervation though... In the head, sympathetics arise from the cervical ganglia and track along arteries, and are separate from the cranial nerves.
    :eek: I meant parasympathetic. Sorry :o: . Not a good start

So it carries parasympathetic and bits of somatic innervation? But the somatic innervation is direct, whilst the parasympathetic innervation is still 2 neurons with short postsynaptic neurone?

If I've got this the right way round, sympathetic stimulation to the abdomen comes from the Inferior Cervical nerve?

ReputationRep:
    Abdo (I presume you mean the gut?) sympathetics are carried on the splanchnics (great, lesser, least), and follow the embryological derivations of the GIT (i.e. coeliac ganglion for foregut, superior mesenteric ganglion for mid-gut and inferior mesenteric ganglion [aka the renal ganglion] for the hindgut).

These all arise from the thoracic sympathetic trunk (arising from T1-L3).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...f7/Gray839.png

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Visesh.

I do know (well some) of this stuff, I just keep getting stuff the wrong way round...Anyways,

Sympathetic is T1-L3, and parasympathetic is Cranial-sacral, so Cranial 3,7,9 and 10 +S2 to S4.

I have 12 Cranial nerves.
    Olfactory I, and Optic II are purely Afferent
    Some are also partially autonomic as well as somatic so for example VII (facial) afferently transmits input from tastebuds, efferently innervates swallowing + Lacrimal (tear) glands.

and in total
    12 cranial nerves
    +31 spinal nerves
    so 8 Cervical nerves
    +12 thoraic nerves
    +5 Lumbar nerves
    +5 Sacral nerves
    + 1 coccygeal nerve.

And Dernatomes are areas of the skin where the nerve directly innervates - good for diagnosis of neural lesions.

Oh and Dorsal is sensual Afferent, and Ventral is motor efferent.

Oh and 2 paralelle Sympathetic trunks, even though one is shown

Please please say I've vaguely learnt the right things.

Well, supposedly we only really need to know Vagus and the corresponding sympathetic stimulant one of the Cervical ones, Inferior ganglion I think for circulation and breathing, but alas, I had some stupid notion that an overview might help. Damn my curiosity. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could remember that!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.