Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    For fun? They bleeped me 3 times today "just to make sure you remembered you've got a patient on our ward and you are going to come and see him aren't you?" Yes, if you bloody let me get on with other stuff first!
    Because I love having SHOs talk down to me.

(Not at all because they'd forgotten to review our punter)

ReputationRep:
    I quite like my new SHOs. And the nurses were lovely to me today. :o: Just my sodding bleep, on the one afternoon I'm in clinic and not on the wards!

ReputationRep:
    my team is a joke.
    I have theatre all day tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Theatre was quite good today. I had a very enthusiastic reg which is always a bonus

ReputationRep:
    I spent a morning giving head to plastic spiro tubes today. Apparently I'm not that great. My FEV/FVC ratio is 68%. Thus I have obstructive lung disease. A brilliant start to a illustrious medical career.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure one of my fingers is clubbed.

:/

ReputationRep:
    I have a sore neck / an attack of the meninges. Again...for the umpteenth time since starting medicine.Medstudentitis.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people these days? 7 interviews yesterday and only 2 applicants shook my hand. Don't kids get taught manners any more?

ReputationRep:
    I sacrificed the 9am to the alter of sleep, waking up at 10.55. Got dressed for the 11 dash to the cruciform, only to meet people coming back. They'd apparenly bunched the lectures into a double and moved it without my noticing.

Thus I have managed to miss everything today. Medstudentitus indeed.

(all mistakes are solely the result of my own incompetence.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    What is it with people these days? 7 interviews yesterday and only 2 applicants shook my hand. Don't kids get taught manners any more?
    Really

When I did it everyone shook my hand at the start and at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    Maybe they think a)you have the plague/norovirus (possibly more relevant in Cambridge at the moment...) or b)hand-shaking is, like, old-fashioned and stuffy and they don't want to appear too formal, man.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they think a)you have the plague/norovirus (possibly more relevant in Cambridge at the moment...) or b)hand-shaking is, like, old-fashioned and stuffy and they don't want to appear too formal, man.
    I'm on interviews tomorrow, I'll see how our potential kids rate in the handshakes competition. Personally (I'm absolutely serious about this) I think there should be a specific score on the record for manners and politeness, with deductions for those lacking punctuality and thank-yous. Nothing overly formal or stuffy or that is about re-enforcing the heirarchy, just good basics that show a respect for the occasion and the people who have given up their time to potentially grant you a career in medicine.

I had a look at your jeans thread in Oxbridge. It made me wonder how things could have changed so much in the five years since my application, are we out of date or are the kids just plain stupid?

ReputationRep:
    I saw interview pre-freshies at the Rockefeller today .

ReputationRep:
    I had the best day today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I had the best day today!
    What happened?

I have had a rather good weak so far. I am doing a community SSC and I only need to turn up twice a week. I am supposed to use rest of the time for writting my repport but I thought I will go and work some night shifts on surgical admissions instead. I am going to be rich and I had some intresting experiences but now I am really behind with my report. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    I'm on interviews tomorrow, I'll see how our potential kids rate in the handshakes competition. Personally (I'm absolutely serious about this) I think there should be a specific score on the record for manners and politeness, with deductions for those lacking punctuality and thank-yous. Nothing overly formal or stuffy or that is about re-enforcing the heirarchy, just good basics that show a respect for the occasion and the people who have given up their time to potentially grant you a career in medicine.

I had a look at your jeans thread in Oxbridge. It made me wonder how things could have changed so much in the five years since my application, are we out of date or are the kids just plain stupid?
    I'm not sure. I had a fairly heated debate about this with my boyfriend (an Oxford grad) who applied the year after me (so same year as you, I presume) and he saw no problem with jeans. I think it might be that medics are generally more formal than other subjects, and partly that in recent years the "Access" thing is trying to remove the stuffy side of Oxbridge, including stuff like the need for suits. I still think jeans is too casual though. I'm not sure if I'd reject someone on that basis alone if I was an admissions tutor, but I don't think it gives a good first impression.

I think good manners and punctuality etc is important right the way through medicine (though maybe not an essential part of the MRCS? ), so you're absolutely right it should start at the interview! I wish I could do interviews, it sounds like fun. But my college don't use students, and the clinical school ones are when I'm away on placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    What happened?

I have had a rather good weak so far. I am doing a community SSC and I only need to turn up twice a week. I am supposed to use rest of the time for writting my repport but I thought I will go and work some night shifts on surgical admissions instead. I am going to be rich and I had some intresting experiences but now I am really behind with my report. :eek:
    Nosey...

When you do HCA stuff, are you still on grade n00b? My trust told me that I can move up in the world dependent on my medical student training....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. I had a fairly heated debate about this with my boyfriend (an Oxford grad) who applied the year after me (so same year as you, I presume) and he saw no problem with jeans. I think it might be that medics are generally more formal than other subjects, and partly that in recent years the "Access" thing is trying to remove the stuffy side of Oxbridge, including stuff like the need for suits. I still think jeans is too casual though. I'm not sure if I'd reject someone on that basis alone if I was an admissions tutor, but I don't think it gives a good first impression.

I think good manners and punctuality etc is important right the way through medicine (though maybe not an essential part of the MRCS? ), so you're absolutely right it should start at the interview! I wish I could do interviews, it sounds like fun. But my college don't use students, and the clinical school ones are when I'm away on placement.
    Yes, but isn't the point of access to point out that one does not have arrive in formal regalia and that the only admissions criteria is aptitude, and not whether one can afford a suit.

I'm not condoning rocking up in jeans, but then again, worse things have happened at sea.

ReputationRep:
    I was in ENT emergencies and had an SHO who was really keen to teach and actually let me do things other than sit in the corner and watch (which is what i have been doing a lot lately :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Yes, but isn't the point of access to point out that one does not have arrive in formal regalia and that the only admissions criteria is aptitude, and not whether one can afford a suit.

I'm not condoning rocking up in jeans, but then again, worse things have happened at sea.
    No, the main point of Access is to make people aware that Oxbridge is open to everyone, and to encourage people from less traditional backgrounds to apply. Part of this may be getting rid of things like suits at interviews, but that's only a tiny bit of it.

I'm not advocating that people wear a suit, but that whatever your background, making a bit of effort for a bloody important interview can't be a bad idea. And for Medicine, I don't think aptitude is the only thing that matters - you wouldn't wear jeans on the wards/meeting patients, would you? Even if it was, you're always going to give a better impression if you dress appropriately.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.