TSR Med Students' Society (TSR Meds) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My SSC is excellent, teaching, we have to do a microteach session, I'm thinking wine tasting .

Wouldn't it just be easier to promote Randdom from H&R?
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why did I think that doing this research project was a good idea?

I have just spent 6 hours sitting in the county records office (which is freezing) counting the number of baptisms per year per parish :mad:

Not a happy Rachel today :no:
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randdom)

I have just spent 6 hours sitting in the county records office (which is freezing) counting the number of baptisms per year per parish

Not a happy Rachel today
that doesn't sound fun :nope:

we have two lectures tomorrow introducing us to research projects - i'll have to start thinking about what i want to do! (but in the afternoon i'm visiting a potential rental property so won't be an awful day!)
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Wangers)
My SSC is excellent, teaching, we have to do a microteach session, I'm thinking wine tasting .
That was my plan for my microteach session - unfortunately I had a hangover and a 9am slot, so did a last minute earring making session (with clips rather than hooks for the boys!)
ThisLittlePiggy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Guys, seriously, what do you take me for? Do you think I'd ever let them get away with putting a non-medic in here? :dontknow:
Never doubted you Chief!

Sorry for perpetuating the arrogance and special stereotype.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randdom)

I have just spent 6 hours sitting in the county records office (which is freezing) counting the number of baptisms per year per parish :mad:

Not a happy Rachel today :no:
What on earth are you researching?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What on earth are you researching?
The impact of the poor law amendment act on the health and population of the Chailey Union.

Seemed like a good idea at the time
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
Never doubted you Chief!

Sorry for perpetuating the arrogance and special stereotype.
We all know we're special, just other people don't like us telling them...

Edit: out of interest, what do you guys think of the whole Jade Goody thing? I got invited to join a facebook group to "support" her today, in which most of the posts were saying how she should sue the doctors who "misdiagnosed" her. Now, I feel terribly sorry for the poor woman dying at such a young age and doing it in such a high profile (has anyone else had a terminal illness quite so widely publicised?) Part of me wonders who's courting the publicity, but as a medic, all these accusations of incompetency, misdiagnosis etc, are getting to me. Obviously her doctors can't defend themselves as it would breach confidentiality, but meanwhile all sorts of mixed stories are getting out about whether her cancer was "missed" and whether she has a right to sue - and I just don't know where the truth lies any more. The Sun are using this as a reason to demand the government lowers the age for smears to 20 again (god it scares me that this is the most-read paper in the country). Lots of people are making lots of misinformed statements and I don't think it's doing the medical establishment any good at all. Even on here she gets brought up all the time in H&R. Any thoughts - I'm posting this here so that hopefully it won't just get taken over by people who don't know what they're on about?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think reducing the smear age in an age where people lose their virginity earlier is silly - there may be an average of 7 years of lag, but this would mean a population first having sex at 18... Lets hope the HPV vaccine does some good, but again - given they are only doing half the job (women only) with the cheaper trivalent vaccine...

AS for Jade - it's tough and deeply sad. As for the misdiagnosis thing, I read an interview she gave in some womens mag at the time of her diagnosis admitting that she had DNAed several colposcopy appointments...

On the plus, smear uptake has apparently gone up 20% since her story hit...
Ataloss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We all know we're special, just other people don't like us telling them...

Edit: out of interest, what do you guys think of the whole Jade Goody thing? I got invited to join a facebook group to "support" her today, in which most of the posts were saying how she should sue the doctors who "misdiagnosed" her. Now, I feel terribly sorry for the poor woman dying at such a young age and doing it in such a high profile (has anyone else had a terminal illness quite so widely publicised?) Part of me wonders who's courting the publicity, but as a medic, all these accusations of incompetency, misdiagnosis etc, are getting to me. Obviously her doctors can't defend themselves as it would breach confidentiality, but meanwhile all sorts of mixed stories are getting out about whether her cancer was "missed" and whether she has a right to sue - and I just don't know where the truth lies any more. The Sun are using this as a reason to demand the government lowers the age for smears to 20 again (god it scares me that this is the most-read paper in the country). Lots of people are making lots of misinformed statements and I don't think it's doing the medical establishment any good at all. Even on here she gets brought up all the time in H&R. Any thoughts - I'm posting this here so that hopefully it won't just get taken over by people who don't know what they're on about?
It is only natural to feel sympathy for a young patient who is dying of advanced malignancy. Some of the vile websites that have arisen predicting the date of her death etc.. are repulsive.

We will alll have seen patients around her age dying of advanced malignancy. It is always emotional and tragic for the family and they have privacy with which to deal the situation. Unfortunately, Jade as a "celebrity" has had to deal with this in public to an extent as have her physicians which would be an unusual situation for them too.

It could only be expected given the high profile nature of the case that rumours and allegations of medical incompetence etc.. came to bear. It increases the value to the media of the story - how much is true is impossible to speculate.

One slight aside - presumably Jade will have sizable critical illness insurance. If perhaps there was a degree of CIN on her previous smear or some discrepancy with the results ("misdiagnosis") even as regards to her understanding and that led to her giving minimally incorrect information to her insurance company - it may invalidate her insurance meaning the company won't now pay for her critical illness. It is sad to say - but clearly money is playing a massive role in this case.
Philosoraptor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
God seriously I hate people who write in to newspapers sometimes...
On a NHS Blog doc type note - someone wrote in to thelondonpaper saying that "filling girls up with hormones that have side effects" is a bad idea (regarding the HPV vaccine). I wonder if that dreaded LBC woman got to her...
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it is always sad when someone young dies/is dying. I can kind of understand why she is trying to be in the public eye as much as she can. I think if I was in her situation I would probably be trying to raise as much money for my children as I could.

On the subject of suing the doctor I read the same thing that she hadn't turned up for a number of call backs after abnormal smear results. I don't think that she has even mentioned suing the doctor.
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember reading somewhere (not a trash mag) that Jade had ignored previous warnings (like what fluffy said). That in no way means that she deserved it but people aren't hearing the full story.

It is awful and it does make you think. I was just about the be called for my smear when they changed the guidelines. I'm due to be called this year so they'd better not move it again!

I think it is positive that cervical cancer is being discussed in the mainstream, the media has a powerful influence on health. But it needs be done with all of the correct information available rather than scaremongering.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
I remember reading somewhere (not a trash mag) that Jade had ignored previous warnings (like what fluffy said). That in no way means that she deserved it but people aren't hearing the full story.
I read this too, after she was initially diagnosed, but it seems to have faded from the papers now it's come out that she's terminal. It's hard to know what she understood as well - it's no secret that she's not the most intelligent woman, so her interpretation of events (and its subsequent media twisting) might well be different from what the doctors thought they told her.

The responses in that facebook group do make me realise how little the general public understand about things like screening and medical imaging - stuff like "They never saw my mother's tumour on a scan until it was too late" implies at best incompetence and at worse deliberate lying to patients, rather than the simple fact that imaging is not perfect, and cancers can be *******s to spot!

Of course, this is complicated by the fact lots of people reading and writing about the topic have deep personal involvement, are often very afraid or angry and so try to find something to attribute their problem to. I have not read anywhere that Jade herself has said she is going to sue, just lots of people (including in the Sun, some "Top London medical lawyer") saying she should - but to what benefit, exactly, I wonder?
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I read this too, after she was initially diagnosed, but it seems to have faded from the papers now it's come out that she's terminal. It's hard to know what she understood as well - it's no secret that she's not the most intelligent woman, so her interpretation of events (and its subsequent media twisting) might well be different from what the doctors thought they told her.

The responses in that facebook group do make me realise how little the general public understand about things like screening and medical imaging - stuff like "They never saw my mother's tumour on a scan until it was too late" implies at best incompetence and at worse deliberate lying to patients, rather than the simple fact that imaging is not perfect, and cancers can be *******s to spot!

Of course, this is complicated by the fact lots of people reading and writing about the topic have deep personal involvement, are often very afraid or angry and so try to find something to attribute their problem to. I have not read anywhere that Jade herself has said she is going to sue, just lots of people (including in the Sun, some "Top London medical lawyer") saying she should - but to what benefit, exactly, I wonder?
I read an article where Jade said she wouldn't sue, as she didn't believe taking money away from the NHS wouldn't help them fund screening. Not sure how much of that is PR spin, but there you go.
Ribbons
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We were discussing this today in an oncology tutorial. I agree it's sad, not least because she has such young children.
What annoys me is that the very same people who were writing all sorts of derogatory things about her have so suddenly changed their tune, now she's nothing but a brave woman, as if they never slated her before.
It must be so difficult for someone in the public eye to have a terminal illness.

It's scary how strong an influence media has on health issues - can so easily be used for the better, but I guess scaremongering sells more newspapers?
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You read the defence unions publications don't you?
Jamie
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
I read an article where Jade said she wouldn't sue, as she didn't believe taking money away from the NHS wouldn't help them fund screening. Not sure how much of that is PR spin, but there you go.
Alot of the PR is silly in the JG case.

She had her smear at 25 as per the screening. It was abnormal. She didn't return despite requests - she was too bust carving out her celeb life.

I honestly believe that when she then did return to the doctors (when she became symptomatic) that scans and histology was taken but she jetted off regardless. She then discovered she had cancer and made a huge PR deal out of it.
I think ironically though she was not aware of just how serious it was, certainly not that she was royal fubard.

My annoyance in this case is the likes of Marie Stopes International saying this is a case in point for lowering the screening age across england. Its not. The idea of screening is not to pick up everycase, but to pick up cases in a cost effective and safe manner.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be fair to her - she also had a LOT of A&E appearences (and overnight admissions) for lower abdominal pain, and was told there was nothing wrong...
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
Alot of the PR is silly in the JG case.

She had her smear at 25 as per the screening. It was abnormal. She didn't return despite requests - she was too bust carving out her celeb life.

I honestly believe that when she then did return to the doctors (when she became symptomatic) that scans and histology was taken but she jetted off regardless. She then discovered she had cancer and made a huge PR deal out of it.
I think ironically though she was not aware of just how serious it was, certainly not that she was royal fubard.

My annoyance in this case is the likes of Marie Stopes International saying this is a case in point for lowering the screening age across england. Its not. The idea of screening is not to pick up everycase, but to pick up cases in a cost effective and safe manner.
The problem is that we understand screening but I'm sure the majority of the general public think of it more of a 'catch all' idea and don't even consider the costs. The media certainly don't help with that, whenever they pick up on a possible screening programme they always talk about the positives but without considering the logistics and costs of carrying it out and consequently this is what the general public pick up on.

As for the JG story, it is a very sad case but no more or less so than several things I've seen in the last few months. The difference is her celebrity status. As someone said above, it is annoying how the media have gone from slating Jade whenever possible to feeling awfully sorry for her. I think she is doing a good thing for her children by earning as much money as possible for them (which she has openly admitted), if I were in her situation I'd want to do the same at the same time the general public will hopefully become more aware of the seriousness and importance of smears.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads