The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Fluffy
I'm split personality :wink:

:ditto: :wink:
Reply 961
I have to admit that this week has left me split between being 'The Crier' and 'Perpetually Enraged'...Have had a rough week even though I haven't been on call at all! :wink:
Reply 962
Ataloss
A word of advice - apply for a job in a nice, tall hospital with lots of lifts rather than a wider, more spaced out one. In the last 7 nights it feels like I have covered more miles than an Olympic marathon runners training programme :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ah, but the problem with this comes when you're carrying the crash bleep and the lifts are, of course, all full - it is much harder running up stairs than running along a corridor :wink:
Reply 963
endeavour
Cool...but what if you hadn't done maths? Surely that's a bit harsh for a biological degree?

If they hadn't done maths they probably wouldn't pick it for a degree, saying that though it's only recently that I found out we had to endure a module of bioengineering (!).

For people that are members of this soc, can you post your previous degree qualifications if I've got them wrong.

*Stares at Junior Docs* And we have a new SHO!

BTW, I daren't pin-point which medic I supposedly am from that comic strip :biggrin:
Reply 964
Miles
*Stares at Junior Docs* And we have a new SHO!

Oooh!! *stares at adrianclark in awe* :redface:
Reply 965
Miles

For people that are members of this soc, can you post your previous degree qualifications if I've got them wrong.

*Stares at Junior Docs*

*Scared. Tries to avert Miles' stare and escape :creep:*

On a serious note, after agonising I decided not to intercalate (as incidentally did 85-90% of my year). There were a couple of reasons that swayed it for me :-

1. Financial costs. It is not cheap to intercalate and as one senior Consultant surgeon pointed out it in effect costs around 40 grand because you lose a year's wages too. :eek: A bit obscure but nevertheless it really brought home the point.

2. An intercalated degree may not be as valuable in the new MMC system. It appears that the portfolios in future are going to be the greatest asset when it comes to job applications rather than our CVs. Therefore, it may only be of particular value when applying for the F1 job.

As I was fortunate enough to be in a smaller year (50 students extra in the year below mine) and with a huge windfall of medical graduates in 2 years time due to the new medical schools producing their first output - I decided to try and keep with the smaller cohorts to increase my chances. :biggrin:

In an ideal world with no financial considerations etc... I would love to have done an intercalated degree and am jealous of you guys doing it. :wink:

Sorry this post seemed like it might be useful when I started it but now it seems to have turned into banal waffle :redface: . However, I've spent time typing it so I'm going to post it. :p:

Good luck to everyone. :smile:
Intercalating will mean i'll have better chances of getting a PRHO post in london. You have little chance with out it. THats my take anyway.

Incidently which hospital is monsieur clark attached to...

And does anyone know a good MCQ website? Exams in 9 days....
Reply 967
Jamie

And does anyone know a good MCQ website? Exams in 9 days....

www.studentconsult.com has an MCQ bank (site is ran by Elsevier).
Reply 968
Ataloss
*Scared. Tries to avert Miles' stare and escape :creep:*

On a serious note, after agonising I decided not to intercalate (as incidentally did 85-90% of my year). There were a couple of reasons that swayed it for me :-

1. Financial costs. It is not cheap to intercalate and as one senior Consultant surgeon pointed out it in effect costs around 40 grand because you lose a year's wages too. :eek: A bit obscure but nevertheless it really brought home the point.

2. An intercalated degree may not be as valuable in the new MMC system. It appears that the portfolios in future are going to be the greatest asset when it comes to job applications rather than our CVs. Therefore, it may only be of particular value when applying for the F1 job.

As I was fortunate enough to be in a smaller year (50 students extra in the year below mine) and with a huge windfall of medical graduates in 2 years time due to the new medical schools producing their first output - I decided to try and keep with the smaller cohorts to increase my chances. :biggrin:

In an ideal world with no financial considerations etc... I would love to have done an intercalated degree and am jealous of you guys doing it. :wink:

Sorry this post seemed like it might be useful when I started it but now it seems to have turned into banal waffle :redface: . However, I've spent time typing it so I'm going to post it. :p:

Good luck to everyone. :smile:

Being as involved in the BMA MSC as you were, did you know that Tom Dolphin hasn't got a job :eek: :confused: :confused:
Reply 969
Really? Oh dear!
Reply 970
joyabbott
Really? Oh dear!

It's totally shocking. I'd convinced myself it was the 'bottom of the barrel/didn't get involved/have the interpersonal skills of a stone' brigade who couldn't get jobs. Now most of BL are like ---> :confused: :confused: :confused:
Fluffy
www.studentconsult.com has an MCQ bank (site is ran by Elsevier).

those questions are so **** they begger belief.
they ae based on yank epidiemiology, and are trick questions.
grrrrr
Reply 973
You could try the MCQ books part authored by Paola Domizio - they're the ones I use and I find them OK.
Reply 974
Reply 975
Hello everyone,back from my inspection of Londons hospitals (as an inpatient in 2 of them). I can safely say that Kings did it for me, but not by much and St. Thomas Hospital has some nurses with a very rude attitude. Still the doctors at both were nice. I am not planning a return visit, a week and a half as an inpatient is enough for one summer. There has only been one summer in the last 5 years when i haven't been in hospital. I suck big time. And i'll be wallowing for a few days. Just a friendly warning.
Sarky
Hello everyone,back from my inspection of Londons hospitals (as an inpatient in 2 of them). I can safely say that Kings did it for me, but not by much and St. Thomas Hospital has some nurses with a very rude attitude. Still the doctors at both were nice. I am not planning a return visit, a week and a half as an inpatient is enough for one summer. There has only been one summer in the last 5 years when i haven't been in hospital. I suck big time. And i'll be wallowing for a few days. Just a friendly warning.

kings is so much nicer than st thomas' don't you think?
Which wards were you on..? (or is that a bit to personal... :confused: )
Reply 977
Miles

I'm ill :frown:

What a sympathetic and caring bunch of medics we are in the random discussion thread. :biggrin: :p:

Poor Miles saying he's ill and no-one replies for 11 hours. :wink:

Get well soon Miles. :smile:
Ataloss
LOL - true Jamie. :smile: But don't burst the little bubble of hope.

*Begins the hunt for 4th and 5th years keen on practising cannulation (and any 3rd years not shaking like a leaf) :smile: *

i can do a cannula, but would shake like a leaf if ever they told me to put anything in the artery...
Do you just wack it in on the radial pulse? :confused:
anita_xx
Ah, but the problem with this comes when you're carrying the crash bleep and the lifts are, of course, all full - it is much harder running up stairs than running along a corridor :wink:

and no one ever seems to get out of the lift these days for a patient in a bed. an american elective student was so gob smacked cos apparently in america if a patient needs to use the lift everyone else piles out.

Latest

Trending

Trending