Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex L)
    I doubt there's much that they'll do tbh, they'll say we just need to sort it as a group. But I'll start next session with a short discussion on what we all think is and isn't acceptable, hopefully that should be political enough without actually telling them to shut up and let everyone speak
    we had to do that one week, though we had to take it further and anyone who wanted to speak had to raise their hand to do so... (it had got that bad!)

i was chairing this week and though it was better, the PBL tutor was not helping at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    we had to do that one week, though we had to take it further and anyone who wanted to speak had to raise their hand to do so... (it had got that bad!)

i was chairing this week and though it was better, the PBL tutor was not helping at all
    I'm somewhat tempted to get hold of a conch and adopt a Lord of the Flies like approach

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of 'regimental badge distribution'? 75% of people doing a onexamination question know about it but there's no useful mention of it on google.

ReputationRep:
    I'm somewhat tempted to get hold of a conch and adopt a Lord of the Flies like approach
    Kill the pig!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Anyone heard of 'regimental badge distribution'? 75% of people doing a onexamination question know about it but there's no useful mention of it on google.
    The regimental badge area is a sensory area supplied,purely, by the axillary nerve. Thus, examination of said area could indicate axillary nerve damage.

It lies on the skin overlying the insertion of the deltoid tendon onto the lateral aspect of the humerus about less than a third of the way down the arm.

See where this soldiers badge is on his right arm? Just there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    The regimental badge area a sensory area supplied,purely, by the axillary nerve. Thus, examination of said area could indicate axilliary nerve damage.
    <EDIT>

Cheers feller.

ReputationRep:
    The main issue was that the chair was particularly weak, so was allowing it all. I'm chair next case though, so change is definitely afoot, I'm not having rudeness in my sessions
    Good . A strong chair is useful during sessions - I was chair last week, but my group's pretty good, so my role was limited to selecting the reader for each case and going through the process :laugh:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Good . A strong chair is useful during sessions - I was chair last week, but my group's pretty good, so my role was limited to selecting the reader for each case and going through the process :laugh:.
    In our last group a strong chair wasn't really needed and only really had to do what you just described, but it seems this time round the chair actually has to do something to keep things in order :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    <EDIT>

Cheers feller.
    No bother at all;glad to be of help.

ReputationRep:
    In our last group a strong chair wasn't really needed and only really had to do what you just described, but it seems this time round the chair actually has to do something to keep things in order :tongue:
    There's always a need to be a hard-ass lol. Just don't be too firm .

ReputationRep:
    There's always a need to be a hard-ass lol. Just don't be too firm .
    Our cases are spread over 3 sessions, so I'll try softly softly in the first, and little bit more vocal for the second, and if it still isn't good enough by the third.......:fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Our cases are spread over 3 sessions, so I'll try softly softly in the first, and little bit more vocal for the second, and if it still isn't good enough by the third.......:fuhrer:
    :no: The best way to deal with it is just to be fair. Allow discussions to happen but curtail them if they go on too long.

You have three sessions!? We only have two per week - one to establish outcomes, one to present feedback.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to deal with it is just to be fair. Allow discussions to happen but curtail them if they go on too long.

You have three sessions!? We only have two per week - one to establish outcomes, one to present feedback.
    we have just the one... 3 hrs in which to present feedback and then brainstorm the new scenarios... I'm sure the time constraints don't help in how well groups work!

ReputationRep:
    :no: The best way to deal with it is just to be fair. Allow discussions to happen but curtail them if they go on too long.

The issue is with people talking over the top of others though, and on completely different topics. Nobody minds a bit of finishing each others sentences, but ignoring a point completely is just ridiculous imo

We have two a week, one that's an hour and a half and one that's an hour. The first 30mins of the longer session is dedicated to finishing the previous case, before moving onto the next, with the hour long session being the main bulk of work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    we have just the one... 3 hrs in which to present feedback and then brainstorm the new scenarios... I'm sure the time constraints don't help in how well groups work!
    Overall you have more time per case than us, just all in one session :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Overall you have more time per case than us, just all in one session
    when you factor in the break that people want in the middle and the fact that half of them arrive late with a hang over... we probably end up with a similar amount of time!

ReputationRep:
    The issue is with people talking over the top of others though, and on completely different topics. Nobody minds a bit of finishing each others sentences, but ignoring a point completely is just ridiculous imo

We have two a week, one that's an hour and a half and one that's an hour. The first 30mins of the longer session is dedicated to finishing the previous case, before moving onto the next, with the hour long session being the main bulk of work
    Ah, we have two 90min sessions, and two cases to go through per week, with varying numbers of outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, we have two 90min sessions, and two cases to go through per week, with varying numbers of outcomes.
    the last few weeks, we've had 3 cases per week with 25-30 learning outcomes for each :eek:
    which we don't actually get told til the end of the week, but we have to try and get all of them covered in 10 questions

ReputationRep:
    You guys really aren't selling PBL lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    You guys really aren't selling PBL lol.
    i've had two really good years of it so it's not always that bad :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.