This discussion is closed.
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sounds fab!

1 year at a time sounds good

The Notts scheme is a complete nightmare at the moment, and 5th years having lots of problems (mainly relating to joining Birm and Leicester, and our course being so much different to theirs).

I'd really like to stay in Notts for my PRHO. However, it would seem they've matched up most of the Notts jobs with a year at a far flung place like Devon!!! grr

Oh, applications are going to be so much fun
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
that's amazing! A&E in the PRHO year is really hard to get as far as i can gather.

[cheesy]you serve as a gold standard for us all [/cheesy]
Aw, thanks! that's very nice!!

(Original post by joyabbott)
Sounds fab!

1 year at a time sounds good

The Notts scheme is a complete nightmare at the moment, and 5th years having lots of problems (mainly relating to joining Birm and Leicester, and our course being so much different to theirs).

I'd really like to stay in Notts for my PRHO. However, it would seem they've matched up most of the Notts jobs with a year at a far flung place like Devon!!! grr

Oh, applications are going to be so much fun
Yes, they're becoming keener and keener on this - within the next few years there's an intention of joining the Sheffield matching scheme with those in Leeds and Hull/York...
That's pretty harsh sending you as far away as Devon! Currently within the Sheffield matching scheme if you get a job outside the Central Sheffield hospitals, you're guaranteed a place in Sheffield for the F2, and vice versa. As my job is partly outside Sheffield anyway (the 4mths medicine is in Chesterfield) I get pretty much free choice of my F2 posts, which is nice

Hope it all works out for you, Joy - hopefully by next year it'll be better organised!!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Congrats Anita
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
Congrats Anita
thank you
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Had my first primary care placement yesterday - IT WAS GREAT!!!!!! Medicine is by far the best thing I've ever done
hihihihi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
Had my first primary care placement yesterday - IT WAS GREAT!!!!!! Medicine is by far the best thing I've ever done
What do you actually do on those early clinical attachments? (eg in year 1/year2)
kiaora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey fluffy! i was just wondering when you decided to be a doctor? was it after your D.Phil, or did you always intend to do medicine, but want to do the other degrees first? lol, hope i dont sound rude, im just curious! and hows barts btw? is the workload ok?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wanted to be a cytogeneticist when I went to uni, but upon getting my degree I discovered how dire the pay was (£7k pa for a graduate entry job!!!). I looked into applying for med after my degree (before the EU stepped in with age discrimination laws) and was told that at 24 I was too old! so I did my D.Phil instead. The rest is history!
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
was told that at 24 I was too old! so I did my D.Phil instead.
This strikes me as so funny now, when there are people on my course aged 45 and above!!

Glad you're enjoying your placements, Fluffy - I was part of the first year group who ever did clinical placements in their first year at Sheffield and it was great even though we couldn't do anything except follow nurses (or if we were really lucky a senior medical student )
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*Throws things at all of you placement people* They have just started 1st year placements with the new first year at manchester but oh no, us 2nd years have to wait till 3rd year. GRRRR!!!!
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
*Throws things at all of you placement people* They have just started 1st year placements with the new first year at manchester but oh no, us 2nd years have to wait till 3rd year. GRRRR!!!!
If it makes you feel any better, as I said above, in our 1st year placements we couldn't really do anything except follow nurses around (seriously, on one of my 1st year placements I helped serve lunches, which you'd never be expected to do in a 3rd year placement). By the time you get to 3rd year, you're much better both with examination techniques and with actual medical knowledge, and you do gain a lot more. It's just nice being on the wards in 1st year because it reminds you why you're really there (as opposed to sitting in a lecture theatre 9-5 for 2 years...)
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Daveo, are you intercalating?

and anita, i'm from the school of thinking that ward work isn't benificial in the first year i think GP placements are far more appropriate as being on the wards can take up a lot of people's time when you don't really know what you're doing there - this can leave many students wandering around doing nothing with nobody to teach them when they could be sitting in on a GP's surgery watching consultations.

we're starting to do a bit of ward work (basic clinical skills) in the second year and as we're doing each system before the relevant clinical speciality, it does seem worthwhile as opposed to knowing nothing at all. just my opinions
I cant decide if I want to intercalate or not, this decision is currently posing me many problems. Are you?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i want to intercalate in either anatomy, neuroscience or physiology. don't really fancy studying science for a year though i've heard that it does add weight to the CV when applying for competitive registrar posts. we have to apply before xmas and then they give us a target exam results we must meet in the january exams to go through to the next stage of application :rolleyes:
Seems you have the same problem as me, If I do intercalate it will be in anatomy or neuroscience, we have to apply by early January and i've also heard it adds weight to your CV, I just don't know if I want to do it or not. :confused:
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i know exactly what you mean. my main motivation towards doing it is that i'll be wearing that dark pin-striped suit a few years earlier if i take the time out to do an extra degree

the thought of non-clinical contact and afternoons of labs is enough to drive anyone mad though!
It's true, and the prospect of actually having to do just science for a year and then have exams on it scares me............at the mo i'm probably about 60:40 in favour of it.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by anita_xx)
This strikes me as so funny now, when there are people on my course aged 45 and above!!
Do they have 'connections'? I know two GPs who qualified as second degrees - one is my own GP. My GP said she had the same problems trying to get in, but 'luckily' her uncle was a medical academic at UCL, so she pulled the old family strings... No guessing where she qualified

I called so many medical schools - admittedly none as far north as Sheffield - I went as far as Notts (I had just split up from my boyf of 3 years and he lived in Leeds - wanted to stay away from up north!!!). All said we will take graduates at 21, but you're too old. UCL were the rudest! Barts and The London were the only ones to say 'well you are older, but we probably wouldn't hold that against any application you might make'. Then I got asked to apply for a research position at GW, and decided that if I was going to end up in research then it would probably be better to do my D.Phil instead.

Not that it really matters, because I don't think I'd change the way around I've done things. I'm going to need a research qualification to get anywhere in medicial oncology, and I've been given the chance to do some research at Barts if I want, so I can keep publishing through my med degree too - best of both worlds!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
It's true, and the prospect of actually having to do just science for a year and then have exams on it scares me............at the mo i'm probably about 60:40 in favour of it.
Heh heh - welcome to my world! Ward rounds? Clinical skills? What are these?

I have to intercalate, it's just a matter of choosing what. Not Neuro, that's for sure, at the moment I'm thinking either Pathology or Anatomy, but I don't have to decide for a while yet.
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do they have 'connections'? I know two GPs who qualified as second degrees - one is my own GP. My GP said she had the same problems trying to get in, but 'luckily' her uncle was a medical academic at UCL, so she pulled the old family strings... No guessing where she qualified

I called so many medical schools - admittedly none as far north as Sheffield
No, no connections, it's just that's the way Sheffield is. There are many many people here who are far older than you, Fluffy, and not even from medical/science backgrounds like you - the 45 year old I was thinking of when I first posted used to be a musician with the Philharmonic before deciding, aged 40, that he wanted to do medicine! and there's other people who used to be physics lecturers, soldiers, you name it. So you might well have got lucky if you had tried Sheffield.
But as you say, it doesn't matter now - you've got there in the end and it sounds like you've got loads of options open to you now

and anita, i'm from the school of thinking that ward work isn't benificial in the first year i think GP placements are far more appropriate as being on the wards can take up a lot of people's time when you don't really know what you're doing there - this can leave many students wandering around doing nothing with nobody to teach them when they could be sitting in on a GP's surgery watching consultations.
I am inclined to agree that sitting in with a GP would be more beneficial than ward placements. Having said that, if you do ward placements first you find out much more quickly what it'll be like immediately after you qualify - and this can be a reality check for some people (3 people in my year dropped out after our first year placements on discovering that PRHO's were basically glorified dogsbodies! )
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
then i'd say that was a failure on behalf of the medical school's admission board as much as anything
Yes, I'm inclined to agree - and this is why Sheffield is now so keen on hospital-based work experience, and why, if you haven't got any, they will ask if you really know what it's like as a PRHO...
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
heh heh there you go, both eyes open!! (which is more than mine are now, after last night...)
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bit off topic I know but anyway, does anyone know any good anatomy revision websites as I have a viva next week and I am not sure where to start.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?