The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have just found out i have to do coursework over the xmas hols, in public health of all things!! Soooo annoying, public health is a waste of valuable time and energy!
Reply 1081
smileymedic
I have just found out i have to do coursework over the xmas hols, in public health of all things!! Soooo annoying, public health is a waste of valuable time and energy!

Of course it is, dear :rolleyes:

Let's not have any form of public health in this country and see just how quickly doctors become nothing more than asprin prescribing chimps, depressed at the lack of resources, while people drop dead of more complex conditions, because a lack of health prevention has lead to a boom in what should be easily treatable conditions, but are not as we can't afford to treat so many of them!

Don't tell me... ...you hate psychosocial too, and are going to be a surgeon?
smileymedic
I quite like public health it is the sort of thing that my dad does so I think i was indoctrinated at a younge age, most of my friends hate it tho and think I am weird because i don't hate it. On the topic of exams had my anatomy viva on friday :frown: does everyone have to do them because I really hate them my mind always goes blank :frown:
Surgeon? hell no! And psychosocial - we call it behavioural sciences - one of the best modules we do! I did psychology Alevel though and really loved it so I kind of had a head start. Our PH really is a waste of time - we learnt about all the different species of mosquito last year! Our module co-ordinator is THE most monotonous person on this planet - so actually our public health is a waste of time and effort! There are plenty more important modules to be spending my xmas hol doing!
Reply 1084
Fluffy
Don't tell me... ...you hate psychosocial too, and are going to be a surgeon?

I found social medicine a bit pointless to be honest :redface: :p: Even though I was good at sociology, I missed quite a few lectures and did about a days revision before the exam, most of it (at least at bristol) is common sense and knowing how to reference papers. Ethics was interesting though, I admit.
anita_xx
I am working long days over the Christmas weekend.

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

For the first time ever, I am seriously hating this job.

awww Anita,

I think I may volunteer to work xmas as mine's always a nightmare! Would be nice to have an excuse to get away from it.
Reply 1086
*pokes his head in* Hello! :smile:
I was talking to my friend yesterday and we realised that neither of us new, I was just wondering if other med schools have a 80% attendance rule to pass and whether they take registers or not. Would be interested to find out.
Reply 1088
Not really. They sometimes take a register for microanatomy and the odd practical, and specical off site sessions such as the patient simulator, but nothing is done with the 'data'. Aparently if you fail a year and didn't show up to these sessions then they do not go as 'easy' on you as they do if you've made the effort to attend everything.

We do have to attend all PBL sessions and clincial placements though - not doing so or not having a doctors note if you do gets you a serious ass kicking.
randdom
I was talking to my friend yesterday and we realised that neither of us new, I was just wondering if other med schools have a 80% attendance rule to pass and whether they take registers or not. Would be interested to find out.

We do for practicals (and they have a sign up sheet, usually at least halfway through so you can't just sign in and leave!) But nobody gives a damn about lectures, though most people still attend most of them. I'm not sure what the clinical school rules are like.

Oh and patient visits etc all have to be signed off or else...
Reply 1090
randdom

Don't know about the 80% bit, but Durham does take a register randomly (well, mostly random - for histology they took a register every lecture :frown: ).
smileymedic
Our PH really is a waste of time - we learnt about all the different species of mosquito last year! Our module co-ordinator is THE most monotonous person on this planet - so actually our public health is a waste of time and effort! There are plenty more important modules to be spending my xmas hol doing!

Mine was bad as well at Uni and I hated it, even though I knew it was important. Now I see it can be a way out of having to work weekends, nightshifts or holidays.
Reply 1092
For those who study Medicine at Kings what are the entery requirments please as i have searhced on the net and i have loads of different information. Also does anyone know the university with the lowest requirments for medicine
Thank You
Reply 1093
All UoL med schools are AAB at A2.
Reply 1094
TSR_Princess
For those who study Medicine at Kings what are the entery requirments please as i have searhced on the net and i have loads of different information. Also does anyone know the university with the lowest requirments for medicine
Thank You

I'd go with what is on the GKT website!!!!! I take it you've looked there - go to the medicine page through the UG part of the KCL website - entry requiremements is on the RHS of the page:
Reply 1095
Fluffy
I'd go with what is on the GKT website!!!!! I take it you've looked there - go to the medicine page through the UG part of the KCL website - entry requiremements is on the RHS of the page:

3 A levels & 1 AS level AAB/C
2 A levels & 3 AS level AA/BBC

Thank you FLuffy!
Does this mean if i get AAB in 3 As levels this year (year 12) and a C next year (year 13)
or
I get 2 As this year and BBC nx year i will meet the requiremements!?
Reply 1096
You need to have AAB in your A2s and at least a C grade at AS level (or those predictions) when you apply.
Reply 1097
Fluffy
You need to have AAB in your A2s and at least a C grade at AS level (or those predictions) when you apply.

Thank you, so I need AAB just like most universities?
Reply 1098
Yup - plus an independent AS at C grade - i.e. not one that you've carried on to A2.
Reply 1099
Fluffy
Yup - plus an independent AS at C grade - i.e. not one that you've carried on to A2.

Thank you very much
*adds Fluffy to nice list*

Latest

Trending

Trending