The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
wednesburywench
woo hope it went well, i need a bloody good piss up, im sick of not having any proper friends....I wish there was just 1 person out there i clicked with completly :frown: how easy is transfering med skool? (asks again) I'm scaring myself cus i keep thinking about it!

Are things really that bad :frown:

In reality, it's much easier to transfer if you're desperately unhappy or have mitigating circumstances. Where might accept you will largely depend on the similarity of the courses. You'll have more 'luck' if you apply to transfer in between preclinicals and clinicals, as most medical curricular are at the same place at this point, and transferring at this point will mean you are less likely to 'miss' any core knowledge.

That said, you need to balance the pros and cons with your own mental health.

Do you have anyone at Bristol you can go and talk to? If not within faculty, it might be worth seeking an appointment with someone at your 'Student Services/Welfare', talk things over and see if there are any less drastic ways of feeling happier.

I hope things work out.

Hugs

Fxxx
Reply 1221
Fluffy
You'll have more 'luck' if you apply to transfer in between preclinicals and clinicals, as most medical curricular are at the same place at this point, and transferring at this point will mean you are less likely to 'miss' any core knowledge.

... & Miles might be able to help out here with the mechanisms?

but as fluffy says going & talking to someone might be a good plan - because sometime i think (& this is mostly a musing on me - not a preusmption i know all about your situation! :smile: ) there can be a danger of misattributing concrete external things to unhappiness, when say just a change of location wouldn't necessarily improve things & it's a whole attitude/way of thinking you need to work on?

hope things improve soon.
yea i feel a bit better today, just have ups and downs. I don't think I do want to move, tho yesterday I just felt really really bad. It's not the uni, so moving i wont do, the course is really good and the medics social life here is very gud. It's the people. No offence to any southerners here, but I do find northerners generally more friendly, and here pretty much everyone is southern, and I find I don't get on with people, and all I hear people talk about is work, it is as if people at bristol have no other life outside uni...its just something I am not used to. I spose I thought if i moved to Birmingham then they will be normaler people who I may have more in common with? and the city bigger, my parents wudnt be far away and neither would my boyfriend (altho that isn't the problem, I do miss him rather a lot) But nah you are right, moving isnt the right way to go about it. I thought about moving halls see if that helped but people have talked me out of it. As for people to talk to I really don't know where to go about it. People on here say talk to your tutor....but I dont have one. And like the welfare office...i dont think there is one, its called counsiling...and the name alone puts me off going there lol. I think it may sort itself out. I am jsut not used to being lonely, I have always been very outgoing and had lots of very close friends, and this has completly thrown me out. I think waiting to see what happens next yr is a good idea lol.
aww sorry to hear things aren't working out as well as you had expected.

Are you a member of any clubs/societies? Could be a way of meeting like-minded people outside of the medschool
Reply 1224
What about the peeps who talked you out of moving halls? They must have talked you out of it for a reason...
It was people from home though and my boyfriend, not people from uni. Altho the people at uni seemed to think that people have groups in halls and it would get worse if i moved not better. they didn't say oh dont go cus we like you here lol! i do like half of my flat trouble, is....they r always out at choirs n rugby etc now so I never see em, my fav flatmate hasn't set foot in here for about 3 days :frown:
Reply 1226
How about joining some sociaties yourself? I know that course itself is a lot of work but I am sure you can find some time if you really want to (and think about those fundation year posts forms asking about extra culicular activities in 5 years time :P).

I find making new friends quite hard. I also know what you mean by finding peoples attitutes a bit different then what you are used to. I am Polish and although I have been in UK for 3 years now I am still getting used to those little differences. However if you do not give people a chance and go out to them you will be lonly all the time. Join some sport classes or any other sociaty that you may have interest into and you are likely to meet some like mainded people.

I hope it will get better. Also don't be put off from consuling. It will do no harm if you have a confidential chat with somone who knows how to listen and can give you some advice.
People keep saying that but I do already play netball....yea i know the girls there and go out with them on nights out, but like as i say everyone has their own little circle of friends and its hard to break that!
Reply 1228
How about making your own little circle of close friends then? Try with one person, university is a big place there must be somone in similar situation around.

How does it happened that every one get tightly included in some sort of groups and you get left alone? I am not critisizing or anything, just try to understand the situation a bit better.
I have got lots of people i talk to, one close friend really, but i am used to having more. There are 2 guys i am close too aswell in my flat, but being guys they tend to have all guy mates...so I cant go out with them, and when they do go out they dont ask me anyways. Its a complicated situation, but basically if our flat did more things together it would never have come to this, as it happened everyone seemed to go off in their own ways, and I have this one friend who I am with all the time at uni and she is in my halls, but I dont wana spend all my time with her and would like other friends too. Plus sometimes she is just as bad and doesnt ask me to go places with her like, but shes the best friend i have
Hey....

Sorry you're feeling bad, but there's no point people staying with their flatmates all the time if they have nothing in common. You need to go out and find your friends. Starting uni is hard for a lot of people, and there have been times when I've just wanted to stay in my room watching films on my own and sulking, but that's not how you meet people. So I started going to the bar a lot, even when I didn't know whether anybody I knew would be in there, and I've met loads of people. The more you go out and make the effort to talk to people, the better.

If you think about it, the person in our flat who spent the least amount of time with us at the beginning, and who went out all the time to talk to people in other flats, has more friends than anyone now. I realised quite early on that I don't really have much in common with anyone in our flat, and regretted not doing the same right from the beginning. You can't blame the fact that our flat doesn't do stuff together. We have to live together and it would be nice for us all to be friends, but you can't force it. It's pot luck who you end up with in the first year, and you really shouldn't let it make or break you.

Last Friday I was really tired and planning to stay in, but I decided to go to the bar just to talk to people a bit and get some kind of social interaction for the evening. I started talking to a couple of Beth's mates from B block and got on really well with them. I was talking to one of them for ages and then eventually I was having such a good time talking to her I decided to go out with them instead of going to bed. From a current state of health and essay deadlines point of view, it was probably a really bad idea, but from a social point of view, it was great. I'd never met either of her friends before, and if I hadn't gone to the bar that night I still wouldn't know them. If I didn't do things like that I wouldn't know even half the people I've gotten to know recently. Think about it. How many people in hall can you actually name? I'm guessing not that many.

I've also noticed you seem to have a bit of a prejudice against southerners. Even in Freshers' Week you made a fair few remarks about my accent which were a bit uncalled for. I don't speak any differently from other people who come from where I'm from, and no one else has ever said anything like that to me. It's true that Bristol is predominantly southern, and I know I'm from the south so perhaps I don't understand the problem, but I don't really see why it should be one. Firstly, southerners are really not that bad! We're all the same really. And secondly, there are more northerners here than you'd think. I don't consider you to be northern at all, in fact. There are a lot of people here from a lot further away than you are. Off the top of my head I could name at least ten people in hall who come from much further north than you, and loads of people from Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and overseas. Everyone's all different here, and you should embrace that. It's a good thing. I mean, of course you'll get more northerners in universities such as Leeds and Sheffield, but I wouldn't feel out of place there, and I wouldn't expect people to make comments about me being from the south. But to be fair, if you do have a problem with southerners, Bristol probably wasn't the best university to pick!

So anyway, try to get out more. Go to the bar. Spend less time in your room. When you go to lectures and classes, start talking to the person next to you and see if they want to go get something to eat at lunch time. I've made loads of friends on my course that way. A few weeks into last term I was a bit unsure about the course and whether it was really right for me. Then after a seminar I started talking to a girl in my group and I asked her if she wanted to go to the pub for lunch. We went to Wetherspoons, and it turned out she felt the same way about the course, and wasn't really sure why she was doing it. It really helped to talk to someone, and kind of killed two birds with one stone. Reassurance about the course, and a new friend.

You're really lucky that Galenicals organise so much stuff for you medics. The English society is supposed to organise social events for us, because we have so few contact hours that it's really important we find other ways of meeting each other, but they're crap. They don't do anything at all. So a couple of us have decided to start organising stuff ourselves. Three of us sent out an email to our entire year asking people to come to a bar on Whiteladies Road on Thursday, just to meet up and have a few drinks. At first we were worried no one was going to turn up, but ten people came, and I met three people I didn't know before. It was a nice evening, and we're going to do it again soon. But next time, because we've done it before, we should be able to get more people to come, and it will hopefully build up gradually. If we have any luck, we'll probably run for the English Soc committee next year and turn things around.

You see? You have to make your own social life. There are so many people at uni that there's bound to be people you click with, but they won't come and find you. You have to go and find them.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Why are they still tormenting me?!?
nah its not a southerners thing really, but there are a lot of snobby swatty types here iv noticed....not in durdham, just on medicine i find. durdhams very down to earth. Yea I have gota get out more, but i find it hard just to go up to random people. Its hard in lectures because georgina is always there and she always seems to wana sit on our own etc, when i dont. But I am startin to go out with different people, its just the weekends wen things r ****** cus most ppl im freinds with wernt here this week. now iv been to uni again im fine lol. it was just the weekend wen no1 was here.
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry about that just really really stressed, anatomy viva a week on friday for which I have to learn learn the upper limb and the pelvis!!!! so stressed! I know this is a bit off topic but I had to put it somewhere!
wednesburywench
nah its not a southerners thing really, but there are a lot of snobby swatty types here iv noticed....not in durdham, just on medicine i find. durdhams very down to earth. Yea I have gota get out more, but i find it hard just to go up to random people. Its hard in lectures because georgina is always there and she always seems to wana sit on our own etc, when i dont. But I am startin to go out with different people, its just the weekends wen things r ****** cus most ppl im freinds with wernt here this week. now iv been to uni again im fine lol. it was just the weekend wen no1 was here.

Oh, I see your problem. I guess it's difficult when the people on your course aren't really your type of people, because that's where it's often easiest to make friends. How about asking Georgina if she knows anyone on the course and see if you could all go for lunch together one day or something? There are a lot of medics in Durdham and they're not all swotty. You're friends with Paul, and Felix is cool, and Ariane who lives next door is really nice too. Maybe try talking to some of them? If you and Georgina walked down to lectures with all the other medics, you'd probably all end up sitting together, and it would be a start. :smile:
oh i already am very gud friends with all the medics in durdham thats fine, its just other other medics...maybe i am being greedy lol. its cus im used to closer friends i spose that takes time. im fine now, was just the weekend boring cus everyone was at home.

hey ranndom the upper limb and pelvis is a bitchhhhhhhh aint it! we did the upper limb the last 2 sessions and pelvis this week, and its so hard compared to the thorax n abdomen etc. all those stupid blood vessels and dont get started on the sacral n brachial plexi!
For me it is more the muscles :frown: there are just so many of them and they all sound the same!
wednesburywench
oh i already am very gud friends with all the medics in durdham thats fine, its just other other medics...maybe i am being greedy lol. its cus im used to closer friends i spose that takes time. im fine now, was just the weekend boring cus everyone was at home.

Don't worry, I think a lot of people feel the same. I have loads of friends here at uni, but sometimes I just want to see the face of someone I've known for longer than five minutes! It does take time to make close friends, and loads of older people I know (like the people I worked with last year) have said that they found that uni got better from the second year onwards, when they were more settled. In first year there's a lot of pressure to make very good friends very quickly, and sometimes it just doesn't work like that. I can't wait for my birthday, because some of my friends from home who are in Bath and Cardiff are going to come and see me. :biggrin:
randdom
For me it is more the muscles :frown: there are just so many of them and they all sound the same!

That's why knowing Latin is fantastic :biggrin:

Personally it's cranial and facial anatomy that I hated. Too many fussy small bits and pieces.
the muscles r ok, but in the forarm if u gota learn all those...i feel for u, we only have to no 6 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending