Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    I did it!!!!!

and, it's not confirmed yet, but think I passed with honours.

Can't quite believe it yet
    So one can:
    1. Pass with honours (just a normal pass really)
    2. Pass with merit
    3. Pass with distinction

wat % do u have to get for merit and distinction at ur uni?
    also what percentage of ppl get them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant1337)
    So one can:
    1. Pass with honours (just a normal pass really)
    2. Pass with merit
    3. Pass with distinction

wat % do u have to get for merit and distinction at ur uni?
    also what percentage of ppl get them?
    No - everyone graduates with an honours degree. Then you have a system of 'honours', then names of which vary from medical school to medical school. Some use merits, others distinctions, some both and some throw in graduatung with honours, which is usually a monumental feat as already described.

At BL for example, we have merits and distinctions. Generally speaking, a merit is 70% an above in all exams in that year. A distinction is given out for multiple merits - i.e. getting a merit in years 1 and 2 will get you a

'Distinction in Medical Sciences'.

(Original post by BL REGULATIONS FOR THE DEGREE OF MBBS)
    [/FONT]
    (Original post by BL REGULATIONS FOR THE DEGREE OF MBBS)
    At the discretion of the examiners, a candidate may be awarded the Degree ‘with Distinction’. Distinctions are a [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]University of London award and will be cited on the degree certificate. Distinctions are awarded on the basis of sustained excellence over a period of time. Any candidate who fails any Part of the Degree may not be awarded a Distinction.

Three Distinctions will operate in the 5-year MBBS programme from 2003-04, until further notice:

'Distinction in Medical Sciences' for excellence in Parts 1 and 2
    'Distinction in Clinical Science' for excellence in Parts 3 and 4
    'Distinction in Clinical Practice' for excellence at Part 6.

At the discretion of the examiners, a candidate may be awarded a Pass ‘with Merit’ for any Part of the Degree. Merits are a Queen Mary, University of London award and will be cited in degree transcripts but not on degree certificates.

ReputationRep:
    At Notts, you get a BMBS which is a pass.

A small % of the year "graduate with honours" - it's a complex system but pretty much consistently achieving over 70% gets you honours (hee hee)

ReputationRep:
    At Notts, you get a BMBS which is a pass.

A small % of the year "graduate with honours" - it's a complex system but pretty much consistently achieving over 70% gets you honours (hee hee)
    So did you???? I'm guessing/hoping so

ReputationRep:
    I think so!

Apparently the honours list won't be up for a while (plus being in Oz from Sunday will make it slightly difficult to see), but based on the criteria, I definately meet it! All 5th year marks over 70, plus I exceeded the criteria needed for 4th year. So it's looking good... how exciting. Can't quite believe it.

ReputationRep:
    I think so!

Apparently the honours list won't be up for a while (plus being in Oz from Sunday will make it slightly difficult to see), but based on the criteria, I definately meet it! All 5th year marks over 70, plus I exceeded the criteria needed for 4th year. So it's looking good... how exciting. Can't quite believe it.
    Well done! With all the hard, hard work you've put in, you deserve it! I only hope I can emulate it, although the thought of keeping up all my grades above 70% for the next 3.5 years is scary/exhausting to think about!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well done Joy, really proud of you. Can't believe i first started talking to you when you were a 2nd/3rd year and now its Dr Joy!!

Does this mean the rest of us are gonna be doctors one day aswell? :eek: I think i'm the last in the line of us "original lot" i'll use your success stories to keep me going!

*I expect a first class service with mates rates by the way *

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, even better news, Joy! You must be over the moon

Irritatingly, all my 2nd MB papers have been over 70% for the last two years, but the Tripos essays drag them down. And this year is all essays :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i think we get merit or distinction solely on our SSM performances

ReputationRep:
    i think ours is merit 60% and distinction 70%. dont really know how it works tho, i think to get a distinction u have to take a seperate viva! eek.

ReputationRep:
    thx for all the info guys.
    so wat are the advantages of getting a merit, distinction or honours or whatever it is

does it just mean u get more points for ur fy1 application?

ReputationRep:
    thx for all the info guys.
    so wat are the advantages of getting a merit, distinction or honours or whatever it is
    Yes, but under the current scoring system, it doesn't seem worth the effort - may as well spend the revision time as president of the chocolate society or something to get more points . Academic stuff is supposed to be given more weighting next year though so who knows what the future might bring!

ReputationRep:
    is there a form to fill in for fy2 jobs as well?

ReputationRep:
    I did it!!!!!

and, it's not confirmed yet, but think I passed with honours.

Can't quite believe it yet
    Many many congratulations hun.

Am so pleased for you.

ReputationRep:
    is there a form to fill in for fy2 jobs as well?
    It appears it is variable from Deanery to Deanery at the moment.

The eventual plan is to have 2 year contracts for a full foundation program after medical school.

ReputationRep:
    i aint got a cllue what happens after med school, infact aint got a clue what happens next yr.....they really shud teach us about this sorta stuff....u mean we r supposed to be doin like stuff to aid or application. cus i do jack all! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    i aint got a cllue what happens after med school, infact aint got a clue what happens next yr.....they really shud teach us about this sorta stuff....u mean we r supposed to be doin like stuff to aid or application. cus i do jack all! lol
    I can always tell you :p:

As a sidenote, just been analysing data (grrrr @ Matlab and data logging) and some of it is actually starting to make sense

(My lab project has had so many problems along the way that it's nearly driven me insane! )

ReputationRep:
    wooo hurray for sense! lol....i feel guilty iv done no work today...i hatee xams, makin me feel guilty for having 1 DAY off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    LOL :laugh:

Apparently, I have to stay in this hospital for the next twelve hours - weird idea they call nights - :huff: - carry a couple of these weird gadgets that keep making bleeping noises and if it makes a very loud bleeping noise and some strange lady speaks I have to run somewhere. :hmmmm: Its a silly game. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    can any one help me with my health and social work. i was wondering what you need to rule out before diagnosing angina and why angina is difficult to diagnose?? any help will be greatfuly appreciated x

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.