Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its a s*** job!

Don't do it. Change your mind while you still can.

ReputationRep:
    whats NHSp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    whats NHSp
    NHS Professionals.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I got into this realy bad habit of using abreverations all over. Must be from reading to many hand over sheets lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Its a s*** job!

Don't do it. Change your mind while you still can.
    Just to clarify after a few PMs - I meant being a PRHO (had a very bad day yesterday - and back on call again today for the 10th day out of the last 16 - lucky me:rolleyes: ) - not working for NHS professionals. HCA jons are great experience and depending on the area you are working in great fun too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    If you need someone to carry your suitcases hun - remember me. :love:
    I don't forget.

I remember a long time ago when a young man soon to qualify as a doctor promised to spend lots of money on me (especially on jeans) and was planning to take me to NY because of my special birthday.

Maldives? You should be so lucky :p:

I have done supervised shifts and have my NHSp uniform but am getting my stuff transferred from Hampshire to London because i can't work in Hampshire as all the hospitals are too far away from me. Hopefully i'll be able to work this in London this summer.

(Original post by Sarky)
    I don't forget.

I remember a long time ago when a young man soon to qualify as a doctor promised to spend lots of money on me (especially on jeans) and was planning to take me to NY because of my special birthday.

Maldives? You should be so lucky :p:

I have done supervised shifts and have my NHSp uniform but am getting my stuff transferred from Hampshire to London because i can't work in Hampshire as all the hospitals are too far away from me. Hopefully i'll be able to work this in London this summer.
    where you gonna live in london then?

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember when members of this soc, had a med sign next to their reputation? why havnt they got it anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ant1337)
    Do you remember when members of this soc, had a med sign next to their reputation? why havnt they got it anymore?
    Click 'My Societies'. next to your rep gems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    where you gonna live in london then?
    I live in London when i'm not at uni so i'll just be at home (where i am now!) . I live about 10 mins from Kings (sometimes i kick myself for moving away from home!)

(Original post by Sarky)
    I live in London when i'm not at uni so i'll just be at home (where i am now!) . I live about 10 mins from Kings (sometimes i kick myself for moving away from home!)
    Hmmm, you don't sound like a Camberwell or Brixton girl so I'm gonna guess Dulwich..?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, you don't sound like a Camberwell or Brixton girl so I'm gonna guess Dulwich..?
    Lol thats really funny. I was born in Dulwich. And not in Dulwich Village in the normal bit. And i lived in Peckham from birth until i moved to Elephant and Castle (well close to). Not easy to guess from the way i speak and type. I'm always getting the piss taken out of me for not being representative of my background...

(Original post by Sarky)
    Lol thats really funny. I was born in Dulwich. And not in Dulwich Village in the normal bit. And i lived in Peckham from birth until i moved to Elephant and Castle (well close to). Not easy to guess from the way i speak and type. I'm always getting the piss taken out of me for not being representative of my background...
    well of course i was only talking aobut where you're born...

ReputationRep:
    well of course i was only talking aobut where you're born...
    Of course! :p: East Dulwich Hospital rocks!

ReputationRep:
    shamless ploy for thoughts:
    can you reference an idea without a specific reference?

specifically Gell & Coombs = widely attributed with the classifications of Hypersensitivity (so saith all the textbooks) - but how do we know??

Pub Med only throws back 1 paper they co-authored back in 1970. so I'm assuming it was a textbook they proposed their theory in rather than via reviews?
    but.. finding out contributing authors to 1970s immunology textbooks? :eek: do i just reference (Gell & Coombs) without anything more specific?

dissertation stress getting to me. :bawling:

edit - so i went the random immuno text book route & they co-authored something in 1963. is referencing a textbook a big no no though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

specifically Gell & Coombs = widely attributed with the classifications of Hypersensitivity (so saith all the textbooks) - but how do we know??

Pub Med only throws back 1 paper they co-authored back in 1970. so I'm assuming it was a textbook they proposed their theory in rather than via reviews?
    but.. finding out contributing authors to 1970s immunology textbooks? :eek: do i just reference (Gell & Coombs) without anything more specific?

Pubmed is notoriously ****e for pre-1970 references, so it might be in journal format, but just no registering. That said, it's the most complete citation database for the sciences...

As a general rule, if it's taken as 'general knowledge' in the field, you need not reference (obviosuly this is how errors are made in time!), or you could search for papers who cite the author and hope you find a clue in their reference lists...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

hmmm

If the textbook doesn't use end-chapter references in terms of contributing authors or give any obvious indication as to papers etc, I'd just use the textbook by itself personally as the writers are more than entitled to stick their own classification in without it being based directly on a specific bone fide paper (but a collection).
    I don't see anything wrong with just using a textbook reference, but might be worth emailing your supervisor or just a random oxford medical don to see what they say?

Im starting my write up on wednesday - hours of fun, I imagine?! :p:

Edit: Didnt realise the DPhil had posted above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Pubmed is notoriously ****e for pre-1970 references, so it might be in journal format, but just no registering. That said, it's the most complete citation database for the sciences...

As a general rule, if it's taken as 'general knowledge' in the field, you need not reference (obviosuly this is how errors are made in time!), or you could search for papers who cite the author and hope you find a clue in their reference lists...
    And don't forget about Roitt and Type V

actually - is there are kind of reference in Roitts Immunology book, out side of the generally accepted tosh?

ReputationRep:
    thanks Fluffy.
    yeah, it's my extended essay so would like to avoid any general-knowledge-type-assumptions & reference scrupilously! (though it's more a historical context intro/definitions rather than something central to my argument*)

so have requested some robts go fetch me the 1963 textbook (always a good mental image! ), might try the WOS cited ref search...

there were times when journal's weren't all electronic?! boo.. :p:

* i think i finally have an argument! :party:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.