Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Miles)
    Guys,

I've decided I really want to be a doctor again (I think I'm through my capitalist ******* phase) and can't wait to start clinicals (and see actual patienst!) in a few months.

One question though: can I still keep up my 'extracurricular' activities while at med school in the 3rd, 4th, 5th years? Some of them are quite intense but I really enjoy them (well, usually).
    whoever deigned that clinical years are that tough was lying.
    most the time its a damned sight easier going than pre-clinicals.
    its just pre-exam sort of times that get really intense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    whoever deigned that clinical years are that tough was lying.
    most the time its a damned sight easier going than pre-clinicals.
    its just pre-exam sort of times that get really intense.
    I think the major thing that makes clinicals seem harder is that you get fewer holidays and less time off e.g. on call on weekends etc... in terms of the work, it's prob on a par with preclinicals though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    Guys,

I've decided I really want to be a doctor again (I think I'm through my capitalist ******* phase) and can't wait to start clinicals (and see actual patienst!) in a few months.

One question though: can I still keep up my 'extracurricular' activities while at med school in the 3rd, 4th, 5th years? Some of them are quite intense but I really enjoy them (well, usually).
    Definitely still time for "extracurricular" activities - whatever they may entail. :eek: Need them to keep you sane.

Capitalist ******* sounds a much better idea to me though.

(Original post by pkonline)
    I think the major thing that makes clinicals seem harder is that you get fewer holidays and less time off e.g. on call on weekends etc... in terms of the work, it's prob on a par with preclinicals though.
    if you get more than a handful on-calls every 3 months then you are working hard.
    and i've never done a whole weekend on call.

i mean, fact is that staff suually forget to bleep you if anything happens, plus with over 300 students in most big med schools spread over say 2/3 big hospitals it means even if you had a 1 student on call very week, you'd only do it once every 6 months or so.

thats my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations to me for surviving preclinical BA exams. & mostly for managing not to cry while still in the exam. :star:

so now i have lots of cadavers until the end of term; a classification that'll probably be very small in white ink between 1st & 2nd BM & then some real live people in September... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well done for getting through exams!

The thought of real people is scaring me a fair old bit!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Elles. :party:

Sure you'll be great on clinicals. Take to it like a fish to water.

Fluffy on the other hand. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I HATE housework, but it seems infinitely more preferable to revision!!!

So far today, I've cleaned the bedroom, including washing the carpet, scrubbed the bathroom, rearranged the kitchen cupboards, cleaned the sofa properly with leather protector and descaled the coffee machine, kettle and shower head...

Seems I've ran out of 'things' to 'do', so looks like there's no more stalling the revision... Cardioresp here I come...

ReputationRep:
    I'm freaking out about going into the clinical years too Looking at the third year timetables I don't know how I am going to have time to do anything other than work.

(Original post by Fluffy)
    I HATE housework, but it seems infinitely more preferable to revision!!!

So far today, I've cleaned the bedroom, including washing the carpet, scrubbed the bathroom, rearranged the kitchen cupboards, cleaned the sofa properly with leather protector and descaled the coffee machine, kettle and shower head...

Seems I've ran out of 'things' to 'do', so looks like there's no more stalling the revision... Cardioresp here I come...
    i do that when revision looms!
    its when you find yourself scrubbing the kitchen floor at 2am you know its gone too far.

and randomm, ignore the timetable, you have plenty of time. unless you are one of lifes anuses in which case, yes, you'll be a busy bee.
    clinical years are one of those S shaped curves like the oxygen dissasociation one. after a certain amount of work (9-5) you work like hell for a just a handful of extra marks.

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Bill and Ted, I think I just "flunked most heinously."

Worst paper of my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as you fear. Hope you get a pleasant surprise when the results are out.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:

I hope it didn't go as badly as you think good luck

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately, as everyone so kindly keeps reminding me, it doesn't actually matter, because my clinical place is only conditional on my passing this year, which is considerably easier to do than the first 2 years! However, it's not exactly going to look GOOD having a 3rd/2:2 on my intercalated degree, is it? And it's a matter of pride

ReputationRep:
    Fortunately, as everyone so kindly keeps reminding me, it doesn't actually matter, because my clinical place is only conditional on my passing this year, which is considerably easier to do than the first 2 years! However, it's not exactly going to look GOOD having a 3rd/2:2 on my intercalated degree, is it? And it's a matter of pride

Ahh,don't fret. A good doctor is not made by grades! There is so much more to it and all senior doctors know that.

ReputationRep:
    I love my boyf! Complained about how dull revision was and all I had to look forward to was a packet of SuperNoodles for lunch. He asked what time I was planning on having lunch, and then came home 10 minutes before with a yummy lunch from Maison Blanc Vite - yuuummmm! Including a very scrummy 'Fraisier' slice [quote Maison Blanc website: 'Layers of vanilla sponge, slightly soaked in Kirsch* with fresh vanilla cream "mousseline" and fresh strawberries, covered with almond paste'] - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Could do with a nap now though...

(Original post by Leisure17)
    Ahh,don't fret. A good doctor is not made by grades! There is so much more to it and all senior doctors know that.
    perhaps she should write that on her F1 application...
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I love my boyf! Complained about how dull revision was and all I had to look forward to was a packet of SuperNoodles for lunch. He asked what time I was planning on having lunch, and then came home 10 minutes before with a yummy lunch from Maison Blanc Vite - yuuummmm! Including a very scrummy 'Fraisier' slice [quote Maison Blanc website: 'Layers of vanilla sponge, slightly soaked in Kirsch* with fresh vanilla cream "mousseline" and fresh strawberries, covered with almond paste'] - MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Could do with a nap now though...
    That sounds so nice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that :rolleyes: Just what I needed to hear.

Ah well, looks like I'll be working in geriatrics in the back end of beyond forever...

ReputationRep:
    But I am right!!

No, seriously... I don't know how things work in the UK, so I don't know what an F1 application is...I guess something that you apply for your first job with??

Anyway over here things used to be really bad and you only got jobs if you had the right connections or sucked up to a "chefarzt" (we have a sort of "Kingdom-System" with the most senior doctor being godlike; he can crush you whenever he likes, no structured teaching etc.). It has got better in the last 2 years I admit.

But... as I found out when it was my turn to look for a job: it isn't just the marks that are important, experience and personal attitude are much more important. (at least here, maybe the UK is different, asuming you do get interviewed by some sort of senior doctor)

And anyway Helenia seems to be a very nice person and I don't see why trying to build her up after a terrible exam isn't ok.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.