Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I mostly have Eyeores - less anatomically realistic than a Ted? :s:

Luckily the boyfriend enjoys quirky medic factoids & lets me practise non invasive things! But selfishly returned to the homeland yesterday for the rest of my clinical anatomy course... :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I think the most interesting thing I ever did was living anatomy when I drew on him with an eyeliner so I knew the anatomical locations of the organs etc it was recomended by the head of anatomy of sort of worked because you had to know where exactly they were to draw them. If you can find a friend to help you with that you may find it useful

ReputationRep:
    We did that today on "volunteers" with pens... waiting for them to volunteer is sometimes painful though - but i think i'd be a less good model for thorax anatomy!

Hopefully i'm ok on the bigger details now, but annoying syllabus detail that wasn't covered to go & look up... :love: the OTFA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    We did that today on "volunteers" with pens... waiting for them to volunteer is sometimes painful though - but i think i'd be a less good model for thorax anatomy!

Hopefully i'm ok on the bigger details now, but annoying syllabus detail that wasn't covered to go & look up... :love: the OTFA!
    Do you have those acland anatomy videos they are great if you can get you hands on them

ReputationRep:
    bristol uni lets you view the aclands free on its website! not sure if anyone can or just us, but its great! great if your trying to get to sleep anyways hehe. just got a call...i finish uni monday, and i could be flying to spain saturday if i get this job there :O:O:O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wednesburywench)
    bristol uni lets you view the aclands free on its website! not sure if anyone can or just us, but its great! great if your trying to get to sleep anyways hehe. just got a call...i finish uni monday, and i could be flying to spain saturday if i get this job there :O:O:O
    Same as us but I know that ours can only be accessed by password

ReputationRep:
    The Acland vids are good for re-enforcing the basics, but they don't go very deep (so to speak )...

ReputationRep:
    Here's an 'open access' site with Aclands on...

http://media.medicine.gla.ac.uk/anat...ent_main_1.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

Hehe, we had amazing fun doing that with facial anatomy in first year

I did freak out an ex-boyfriend(ish) by poking something and going "That's not meant to be there!) I think there are some occasions when excessive anatomy knowledge is inappropriate :p:

ReputationRep:
    i got my bsc for next year confirmed last week.. i'm a very very happy girl

(Original post by medic_bex)
    i got my bsc for next year confirmed last week.. i'm a very very happy girl
    Get your first choice?

ReputationRep:
    yeah baby... aerospace physiology. so much fun i'm not sure if they're really allowed to call it a degree...

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! Sounds really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    I've completely run out of money and had to beg parents to buy me a rail ticket to get to Brizzle tomorrow. London really knows how to suck cash out of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    I've completely run out of money and had to beg parents to buy me a rail ticket to get to Brizzle tomorrow. London really knows how to suck cash out of you
    All of a sudden going home doesn't seem like such a good idea...

(Original post by medic_bex)
    yeah baby... aerospace physiology. so much fun i'm not sure if they're really allowed to call it a degree...
    i know someone doing that next year. And someone who do it last year.
    You get to go try out the G simulator at the RAF base you know.

(Original post by Miles)
    foreign countries suck it worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    i know someone doing that next year. And someone who do it last year.
    You get to go try out the G simulator at the RAF base you know.
    we probably know the same people... i can account for all but one of the places in next years intake, it seems we'll be joined by a mystery guest.....

oh god, i know... i can't wait to get up to henlow. and qinetiq for that matter... i hope it doesn't turn me into a research boffin, that would be mildly upsetting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    lying down. just wallop the patella tendon with their legs laid out and you'll get a response. angles can be a little trickier. get them to bend their knees to sort of make a diamond shape with their legs, then grab hold of a foot, pull it so it points upa little bit (so as to tense the achilles) and give it a wallop.
    usual mistake people make is to be sissy with their hit. give a decent wallop and make it snappy (rather than following through).
    I'd go for testing patellar reflexes with the pt sitting / lying on the bed. Lift up their thigh and ask them to relax their lower leg, then when their lower leg is relaxed and dangling, give the patellar ligament a gentle tap. No need for anything more than a gentle tap - if this doesn't work, you're not doing it right. If you're tiny and have a huge patient, you can try propping their knee up on pillows instead of holding it up. Practice this a ridiculous amount, so that it looks natural when you do it in the exam.

Ankles can be difficult to do lying down - I'd offer to kneel the patient on a chair with their feet dangling, and if the examiner instructed me to test them with my patient lying down, I'd first check for clonus, then do my best to check the ankle reflexes with the patient lying on the bed.

Don't forget the Babinski.

(Original post by cookie monster)
    I'd go for testing patellar reflexes with the pt sitting / lying on the bed. Lift up their thigh and ask them to relax their lower leg, then when their lower leg is relaxed and dangling, give the patellar ligament a gentle tap. No need for anything more than a gentle tap - if this doesn't work, you're not doing it right. If you're tiny and have a huge patient, you can try propping their knee up on pillows instead of holding it up. Practice this a ridiculous amount, so that it looks natural when you do it in the exam.

Ankles can be difficult to do lying down - I'd offer to kneel the patient on a chair with their feet dangling, and if the examiner instructed me to test them with my patient lying down, I'd first check for clonus, then do my best to check the ankle reflexes with the patient lying on the bed.

Don't forget the Babinski.
    its kind of annoying that the best way to get reflexes require you to move the patient about.
    Cos we all know that in 'practice' its an agonising wait in your time limited osce to wait for a 'patient' to reposition themself.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.