supercoolfred
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i've been asked to do five subjects at a level, i've picked english lit, history, geography, economics and i have a fifth one to choose. should i do critical thinking? my form tutor said it's useful and will give me a competitive edge when applying for university? is this true? i was thinking of doing philosophy instead but i'm not sure.

thanks
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i did critical thinking as a 5th (well 6th sort of) AS

and i hated it and found it no use whatsoever

it didnt help me at all tbh

i wouldn't recommend it, but that's my opinion
Mangaartist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It could be useful if you were applying for medicine (for the BMAT) but since from your subject choices it's apparent that you are not, I would say that Philosophy is probably better, but all these essay subjects might be just too much work, so in that case critical thinking can give you a chance to relax.
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did really similar subjects to you (Geog, Eng Lit, Econ, CT - and maths) and to be honest I don't really think it's going to help me at all - only one university I've spoken to (Exeter) include it in their offers and all the others said no. I don't particularly think it's given me any skills either, since it's pretty similar stuff to GCSE Eng Lang in my opinion.

The only thing I would say is my friend spoke to an admissions tutor at Oxford, and they said that they really like it - won't put it in an offer, but like the subject a lot (and I think a lot of their courses have critical thinking parts in it....actually I think that might be true for a lot of uni courses...)

From the point of view that it's an extra AS and didn't take much time - I took it, but I'm not sure it was worth it....Philosophy would probably be more useful, but it'd also probably be a lot more work.
sylarfangirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did Critical Thinking at AS, it's a complete waste of time.
You don't learn anything useful, and you could take the exam without turning up to any of the lessons, it's all a load of rubbish.

However, it only takes about an hour a week, (well, at least it does at my college), and it does give you an extra grade that you do little work for, so it might be worth it to, as you said, give you a "competitive edge".
DaveKirkham
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i had to do it as i dropped out of my IT A Level slightly too late to change to anything else

it's an awful... awful subject but a piece of cake all the same ^_^
Phobia27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Really, really, not.
boredom359
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We did General Studies which is slightly different, but along the same lines I think.

It wasn't included in my offers; but there was only four of us in the class and the teachers were a really good laugh which kinda helped.

Some of the lessons were really interesting; and gave you an opportunity to discuss things that you simply would not in other lessons. Not everyone found exams that straightforward though, and quite a few dropped out after as

Plus as well, my friend done it as an AS whilst doing his A2s and it was the ucas points from general studies that actually saved him and meant he got into his firm! So, for him at least, it was very useful! If you can do it, it can be a way of getting extra ucas points if you know you'll need them.
Medicine Man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i did it at school "because it helps with BMAT and LNAT prep", but it really really didn't. So overated. Seriously. :nothing:
Grotbag
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is nothing more pointless than critical thinking. Except perhaps general studies.
Holly704
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its useful if youre applying to do law and will need to take the LNAT as its pretty much the same format test and covers the same material so itll be a year of revision which is useful!
qgujxj39
Badges: 17
Report 11 years ago
It's pretty much useless.

Our critical thinking teacher told us it was impossible to get into Oxbridge without an AS in critical thinking (lol), but according to CRAVEN she had a Vested interest and she had little Expertise, so she wasn't a reliable source.
Medicine Man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommm)
It's pretty much useless.

Our critical thinking teacher told us it was impossible to get into Oxbridge without an AS in critical thinking (lol), but according to CRAVEN she had a Vested interest and she had little Expertise, so she wasn't a reliable source.
:laugh:
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It is pretty useless. But, I do think it would be useful if you wanted to do law and are applying to any universities that ask you to sit the LNAT. Just imo.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I can't talk about the AS and A2 stuff but I did a module at university last year, not only did I find it piss easy, I found it helped me when debating with people.

I found it was easier to spot flaws in peoples reasoning behind why something is a premise and their conclusions etc.

What do you do in the A level stuff?
My module covered:
fallacies (e.g. ad hominem* straw man, circular yadda yadda).
venn diagrams
truth tables
and not much else thinking about it.

*spelling?
joejoejoejoejoejoe
Report 11 years ago
It's pretty dull and the course content can easily be taught over a term and it didn't really teach me anything.
Jimjam91
Report 11 years ago
I took critical thinking at AS level and although it wasn't a particularly interesting subject it does give you some skills when it comes to debating and such. i got an A at AS so it was really useful at topping up ucas points.
supercoolfred
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i will be applying to do law most likely... and this could help it? what is the "lnat" test?

thanks for all the input
Toddeh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This may no longer be useful to the OP, but i studied Critical Thinking in college back in 2009 and at the time I didn't make much of it. It was another subject i had to take to fill in a gap and it was an hour a week with no homework, an easy choice.

However, looking back this topic does help in the way you think about certain things. For example, it helps you deconstruct peoples arguments and identify the what people are saying and to be frank it helps you realise the BS people come out with. But also helps you realise when someone is making a good point, whether this be in a paper, book, political debate or a simple conversation. It's an easy subject to self teach too.

So is this subject useful to get you into uni's - probably not. Does it help you in other everyday situations - for me, definately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads