TSR Motoring Society Watch

nmt_oli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Tumble weed......

Hopefully will get my car fixed this weekend, going home for the weekend and might bring my car back to uni with me.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nmt_oli)
Those metal monkeys things look pretty classy. I have no current need for them though, my golf is now sorted, my mini is having a range of classic smiths instrumentation, and the van will most likely be getting completely custom gauges.

Is it me or is this thread/society really quite slow?

Would it be better if it was moved/copied(dont know if you can have one thread in two places) to the motring section?

just an idea.
I agree, I think we need to move this over to the Motoring section. I know its a 'society', but I think it will receive more interest and general chit chat over anything if it was in the Motoring forum
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Woo! car now at uni with me and driveable. did the inner and outer CV boots on one side, what a pain in the arse!

Taking your drivshaft out in the wet is not fun, and dissasembling and reasembling cv joints can be a bit fiddly too!

got to do the other side next time i go home :rolleyes: there not split, but iwant to do them all at once. I like keeping things matching.

On another note, anyone rent a garage?, ie to store / work on your car? i would like my mini properly under cover this winter, and somewhere dry with an electic supply would be a bonus as i could work on her.

How do you find ones to rent? and roughly how much does it cost?
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Woo, we have been moved!

Bloody car has been a right pain today, need to adjust the idle, keeps cutting out when im stopped for some reason. grrr.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And it has been moved

Say hello to this long lost thread, which has been drowned within the dark depths of another subforum
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can anyone help me out?

Carb'd enigne, having wandering idle problems, and cuts out if a strain is placed on the vacuum at idle, eg. heavy use of brakes (exausting brake servo).

Do i have a vaccum leak, or a dodgy vaccum advance on my timing?
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ I had the exact same problem, and not even the pug engineers could understand why. My intial cure was the timimg which was slightly out, which caused a few things at idle level.

From next week, I'll be fitting my new engine with a friend. Never had this opportunity before, so should be one hell of an educational heuristic. Its going to be a bit nerve racking as I have to fit my existing air con pump to the new engine (on the underneath) and switch over looms. I'm reusing my existing ECU so as not to disturb the car's understanding and replacing the clutch as its a 2-minute job whilst the engine is out. Need a few other bits as well to go on, but don't anticipate my car being done on the day. Have to attend a remembrance day on the 5th, so I hope to have it finished by the following week.

I'll try to get photo's during development and post them up for the benefit of enthusiasts with a running commentary
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Urgent
If anyone knows someone who can de-gas my aircon and then re-gas it within a week, can you give me a link or a contact number please; North West London / South Herts area preferrable Merci beaucoup.

I need this person to come to my yard, as I'm not taking my car anywhere until Friday night
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Urgent
If anyone knows someone who can de-gas my aircon and then re-gas it within a week, can you give me a link or a contact number please; North West London / South Herts area preferrable Merci beaucoup.

I need this person to come to my yard, as I'm not taking my car anywhere until Friday night
Check your PMs.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Cheers Sync. Called them and one of the guys said he would give me a call on Wednesday when he gets back from holiday. Even then, he didn't know what he had on, so looks liek a lost cause.

Did speak to another helpful chap from another company *no name*, and he just told me to release the gas myself! He said it would probably be 'unethical' to charge me £70 for a 5 minute de-gas job, whcih just entails depressing the appropriate valve. Just tried, and appears there is none left in the system anyway!
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can buy DIY clean and pressurise systems from halfords now, or theyl do it for you for £40.

Might be worth looking into.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
eff it - just killed the environment instead by releasing the gasses. Just make sure you wear gloves, as frostbite is an understatement.

All this 'malarkey' and coordination is doing my head in. Trying to coordinate mechanics is like trying to coordinate piss heads in a pub.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay, the weekend of changing my engine has been somewhat a success, and not such a success.

There was no aircon gas as when PEUGEOT took my sump off, they somehow twisted my aircon compressor pump which bent the pipes and snapped it. Waste of bloody space. To top it off, they forgot to give me an inlet manifold gasket within the parts, which we had to stop because of.

New engine is in my car though, ableit only on its mounts. Took one day to swap over the engine. It was a P1 engine, so there were some subtle differences like oil temp, aircon, air filters, water pump etc. The oil sensor is sooooooo hard to get off, and we still haven't done it.

Gearbox nearly broke my back, and it was just like everone said it was going to be, a pain in the ar5e as it was back to front and had to fit in exactly whilst hoisting a 60kg gearbox into the air attaching it the side of the clutch and engine. That just about done it for me.

We found that Peugeot had used non-authentic bolts, had stole a hook eye!, used cable ties to attach loads of parts, broke my air con, found spanners in the engine bay and then also founf part of an inlet manifold gasket under another part!

I'm sorry, but Peugeot, whether they are guilty or not of my big-end bearing failure are unquestionably amateur. Their report was shoddy (my timing out by 3-notches - well er no, it's impossible), with a host of other fook ups.

The vaccum hoses were also a nightmare to get off as were those blasted ball joints which had to be knocked through to get the driveshafts out. What I realise now is, I don't ever want to attempt anything like this again!

I'll get pictures up of the engine change hopefully tomorrow or the following day, as I'm quite busy now
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds like a fun time was had by all:p: . Hope its all sorted soon. It'l feel much better when it starts up, and you can say "i did that".

My car is now running a treat, new vacuum hose and remount the carb solved the vaccum leak. Perfect idle and no cutting out now.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So you may be ready to go to pod soon then.

Our car is on MSN cars at the moment -

MSN CARS See White Maestro Turbo
nmt_oli
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know if i want to bother with dragging it. Pod would be cool to go watch, but i know my car isnt that amazing in a straight line, and never will be without a lot of money spent on it- its my daily driver.

Judging by what others have done, i would be lookign at a 17 /17.5 sec quater- nothing to go bragging about really.

Much more fun on the lanes, doing road rallies and the odd track day.
Pookie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry I meant Walshie...a long time quibble over whose car is faster
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pookie)
So you may be ready to go to pod soon then.

Our car is on MSN cars at the moment -

MSN CARS See White Maestro Turbo
Lol! Just got the engine in! I will give it a few hundred miles before I decide to plant that foot. I'm a very cynical person when it comes to GTi6's now, and taking every precaution is an absolute must. When I have the confidence to floor it, I have no worries meeting up, although I will argue one point - this engine is older, which will probably have less hp as its also done more mileage (40k more to be precise).

Managed to finish off a few bits yesterday like getting the fans back on, front bumber, radiator, driveshafts etc. All we have left to do is to charge up battery, fill the car up with all oils as necessary and hopefully we can tie the engine over sounding like an GTi6 with a Scorpion tail end!

Camera went a bit Pete Tong, but you can see from the attached pictures where the aircon pipe is broken back, old and new engines. Still no visible signs of why the big-end malfunctioned :confused:
Attached files
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All done.
Just finished tonight :mad:
Wanted to go out on the lash, but no time

Up and running apart from a couple of snags
- diagnostic light came on
- sounded like my exhaust was going to blow (irregular upon start up)

Apart form that, I just accomplished 100mph comfortably with approx 400kg in my boot of my car and a 'flattish' tyre. My cars filthy, and looks like its been stolen, so driving though Silvertown with no tax and insurance and having cop cars follow you for 4 miles was quite nerve racking. I just saw the 2 years suspended coming lol.

But hey, all is okay with the engine, apart from the existing engine which was taken out - the cylinder head is a complete and utter joke. Peugeot have tightened the bolts so hard, they have threaded the head, whilst the bolts are recessed into the head itself! :mad:

So if anyone has any idea's (especially Pookie), can you give them to me?
linka1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fellow car-owners and experts!

The tilt in my 3-door Fiesta front seat stopped working. It's like its jammed or something. Ive only had the car about 3months but when my mates tried to get out of the car yesterday,...well they didnt until I had to shoo them out the other side via the front passenger seat. aaah its driving me mad because I dont know who I would actually see to get it fixed - would it be stupid if I went to a garage? or should I just go back to People's Ford and ask?

Only thing is that I would rather not go back to Ford because it took them 2 months to get me car mats

Help anyone. Not urgent but nice if I got it sorted out.

Katy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (49)
18.42%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (107)
40.23%
Nope, not that interesting (110)
41.35%

Watched Threads