TSR Motoring Society Watch

Country Lad Rob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
cool stuff.
well retakes are hitting me hard at the moment so wont be able to reply until tomorrow evening cos my last one is tomorrow. also put some new stickers on my landy this weekend... going shooting next weekend in her, so very ezxcited!!

Rob
izaldo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Right, 1st post here, and joining such a great society seems to be the best way to spend it

I drive a 1.4 306- Decent-ish ride. Can't afford to tune it at the moment although after uni i fancy a Golf GTI and an 89 Merc 190E AMG Evolution as a project. Also going on a Rallying course sometime soon, and after that maybe my dad will let me drive his car

http://www.timeattack.co.uk/DSC_0145.jpg

He built a 206 WRC from scratch using a 206 shell and a Cossie platform. Turbo delivers up to 550bhp although it can only be used for a short amount of time. Pretty sound ride, been round Oulton Park in the passenger seat (Out Lapping a Murcialago) but am absolutley desparate to get in the driving seat!
Country Lad Rob
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
omg, that is cool. i want one!!
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Update diary:

Found some bits as to why my big-end went; yay!
It could be several factors, but we need to diagnose 100% the right one.

Pug are going to defend by saying I was negligent through my driving, I know it. Not that that matters of course, as I wasn't.

Anyway - made a decision to get a new car this year (hopefully in July), and am looking at cars within the £15,000 price range. So far:
- Alfa 147 GTA
- Lotus Elise
- BMW 325 Compact
- VX220
- S2000
- S3 (02 Reg)
- Audi 3.2 V6

Okay, I'm still unsure. I really want a roadster, especially since my buddy has one, and I'm in love with ones that just have power with it. But at the same time, they're quite impractical.

I like the GTA, I'll openly admit, but I'm so unsure as to even go there due to it being linked with Fiat. I nearly bought a 147 yonks ago instead of my Corsa but they wouldn't budge on price. The Fiat thing really bugs me, and if anyone knows about this engine and Alfa as a whole, I'll appreciate a repsonse. I need to otherwsie visit the relevant forums.

Honda 2000 may be a bit girly, but still like it. But I do want heated seats and a decent interior which the Elise & VX220 doesn't match, although the power is better in those two.

Audi S3/3.2 V6 & BMW 325 - all cars I've always admired. It's just that I think I want something slightly flashy now lol.

I think I'm going through stages. I need to make my mind up, as its vital I understand the car I'm buying before I do so. I'm in love with the GTA at the moment, but really I've always longed for an Elise. Its just comfort and interior has always been a pivotal factor - I can always bring my ICE over, its just the rest of it.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lotus Elise, VX220 (Elise but more practical) or S2000.

The 147 is fantastic though, not sure about reliability...

Have you looked at second hand cars, for 15k you can get a XKR! http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...ch_full=SEARCH
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ They are 2nd hand cars. I just don't want 5 year old + cars. Not interested in an XK as I think Jaguar has an old man's image (my dad for instance).

I've never been a snooty person - if the ride is perfect, I'll buy it. It's just Pug no longer fill the reliable bracket, nor do Fiat, Citreon or most other French cars. I also quite like the Celica although that will be replaced soon. I'd only get the T-Sport (190). RS Focus being chucked because of its brand really, and Honda Type R due to its ubiquity. I like rare.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fair enough!

Elise...do it, they are fantastic!

Reliability is not too bad now either with the new Toyota engine.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
^ They are 2nd hand cars. I just don't want 5 year old + cars.
But old cars are faster!
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends what you choose. Austin Allegro Anyone?
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
alegro's got the a series and the B series engines. Moss and Hi-flow do supercharger kits for both engines. A fast allegro wouldn't be too hard to build up.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I come on-line to remind all motoring fans that Top Gear is on in a minute

I normally keep bloody forgetting.:doh:
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
...and its the end of series! :cries:
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Grasshopper, if you had watched the BBC for a few moments longer you would have heard there will be another series in the summer.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh i know, but its the end of the current series then!!

Pedantic git.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Okay, remarkably I have been quoted £2300 insurance for the Lotus Elise 111S, which is one I'm strongly looking at. However, CAT 5 (OMG) is required. I never knew they went up so high!

Other point I don't think I can stomach is no electric windows on the majority of models let alone aircon and manual hood. Talk about the minimalist approach. I couldn't care a hoot if the car weighs some 60kg more, I want my goodies damn it. So I reluctantly look at the VX Turbo, which only offers token features. So Lotus vs VX = Lotus for me. I like the S2000 but it's just not as vigorous and stealth looking as the other two, with the additional fact performace is down and the car is yonks old.

So I've got a dilemma! Oh - and I've fallen in love with the Black 111R with beige leather and gorgeous rear diffusers ;w00t;
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry - just come accross this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QsspagenameZWD

It needs no explanation . . . . .#zomg#
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
haha. thats terrible. just.. why? I love how they go on to discuss the "rain damage"
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ Yes there is. IIRC, his name was Red Dragon. Some 1 year ago though - and he posted within this thread.

Oh - anyone want a TT, my mates is up for sale on noneother than crappy ebay >.<
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-AUDI-TT-R...QQcmdZViewItem
On the plus side - it will eat any TT on the market for optional extras and spend on the car. Reserve price is silly for what's on offer to be frank - I asked him to take out the ICE and reinstall the Bose stereo. He should of also put back his black leather as well, but hey hum.
soilman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
show him where the caps key is. seriously. would put people off.
Spiffy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Sorry - just come accross this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QsspagenameZWD

It needs no explanation . . . . .#zomg#

Oh dear god :eek:

Poor car
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads