Dying my hair ginger? Watch

foundintransmission
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi!
I did a quick search and couldn't really find what I was looking for.
I've been wanting to go lighter with my hair for a while now, and decided I didn't really want to go blonde or anything like that. I have a very pale skin tone so I thought ginger might suit me, thing is, after having a quick look in shops and online, I can't really find any hair dyes that are ginger?
At the moment my hair is a reddy browny colour, so I'm wondering if I would need to lighten it to go ginger? Naturally my hair is quite light brown so if I could strip the colour out of my hair, would that be good enough?
Any advice or anything would be great, I don't really know where to start and don't have much money to spend at the hair dressers at the moment.
Thanks

EDIT: My hair is already a reddy auburny colour. With brown bits in it.
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would someone voluntarily choose to be ginger?
babythestarsshinebright
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you just bought one of those pre-blonde hair stripping bleaches, your hair will probably go a funny/patchy orange colour so you'll need a toner or dye to put over the top!
lollapalooza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by a_t)
Why would someone voluntarily choose to be ginger?
Valid point. :yep:
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
easy way to go ginger. dye your hair black. then bleach it.
although it will be in terirble condition, and you cant really control the shade of ginger, and will probably end up patchy.

if you really want to go ginger, go into a hairdressers and get them to do it.
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lollapalooza)
Valid point. :yep:
ginger girls are beautifull (well some of them)
lollapalooza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
ginger girls are beautifull (well some of them)
Survey after survey show that they are the least desired by males which would put you in the minority but meh, each to their own! :p:
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not so sure about ginger per say bu there are some really nice orangey hair dyes. Bf had an orange phase, we used Directions (thinking Haley from paramore)
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
(Original post by babythestarsshinebright)
If you just bought one of those pre-blonde hair stripping bleaches, your hair will probably go a funny/patchy orange colour so you'll need a toner or dye to put over the top!
Wont that really damage my hair though? Is there any way it wont go patchy?
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
easy way to go ginger. dye your hair black. then bleach it.
although it will be in terirble condition, and you cant really control the shade of ginger, and will probably end up patchy.

if you really want to go ginger, go into a hairdressers and get them to do it.
Yeah but I can't really afford it? Plus they'll want to lighten my hair and will probably not wanna do it all in one go. Last time I got my hair dyed professionally it cost me around 50 quid, and it didn't even last.
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
(Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
Not so sure about ginger per say bu there are some really nice orangey hair dyes. Bf had an orange phase, we used Directions (thinking Haley from paramore)
Hmm,dunno if I wanna go paramore-orange. 'Cause I will just look like a Hayley williams wannabe :p:. What colour was your boyfriend's hair before he dyed it? Did he need to lighten His? I like that sort of shade in that pic?
Spoiler:
Show
didgeridoo12uk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lollapalooza)
Survey after survey show that they are the least desired by males which would put you in the minority but meh, each to their own! :p:
aha i guess. one of my friends is ginger, and i think she's the prettiest person i've ever seen. i would post pictures but dont think she'd appreciate it lol!
Missmeem
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Please don't
lollapalooza
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
aha i guess. one of my friends is ginger, and i think she's the prettiest person i've ever seen. i would post pictures but dont think she'd appreciate it lol!
Nah, admittedly some can pull it off, it all depends on their level of gingerness really. Subtle ginger/strawberry blonde can look attractive on some people but hardcore ginger is just a no-no.
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think it was red which had faded before we dyed it

hopefully he wont mind me posting a pic!
jsoh?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm a big fan of the ginger! Sexy redheads all the way
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
(Original post by Missmeem)
Please don't
Why not? :o:
I don't understand why everyone is so against it, I think it's a really nice colour, and I'm so pale anyway it's hard to find a colour that suits me.
I have a friend who was in a class of mine in college and she dyed hers and it was really nice. I just fancy a change really, I've been the same sorta colour for a while now.
Think it was red which had faded before we dyed it

hopefully he wont mind me posting a pic!
Bit too orange for me that :p: Thanks anyway.
babythestarsshinebright
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by foundintransmission)
Wont that really damage my hair though? Is there any way it wont go patchy?
Yes it will really damage it and those pre-lightening things are not meant to be the final result so yes it will look very patchy and weird I wouldn't advise it!

I really wouldn't recommend making it lighter at all really, your best bet is just to put a semi-permanent auburn/plum colour on it - should make it look really glossy too!
Oh-WOW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a friends of mine dyed hers ginger from black and it suits her loads. Its like she should have been born ginger. Most people think its her natural colour. She went from black but she had to go to the hairdressers to get it lightened. It does last quite well though. She gets it done every 2-3 months.
Missmeem
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by foundintransmission)
Why not? :o:
I don't understand why everyone is so against it, I think it's a really nice colour, and I'm so pale anyway it's hard to find a colour that suits me.
I have a friend who was in a class of mine in college and she dyed hers and it was really nice. I just fancy a change really, I've been the same sorta colour for a while now.
I just really don't like the hair colour, I don't like the way it looks. But if you really want to do it, dye your hair red first, and let it fade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads