?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
last edited
Mr_Deeds
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It might be a good idea for you to take a GCSE in English language; you could probably do this quite intensively. A grade "C" in English and Maths is usually a minimum requirement; since you have A-Level Maths you can probably get away with not doing the GCSE. Otherwise, if you do manage to secure a place at university with AAA at A-Level and a good degree class I'm pretty sure that you won't have too many problems. Every application is looked at on its own merits and provided that you explain your situation I'm pretty sure that you won't be discriminated against for not having any GCSEs.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Shouldn't matter.
elreymago
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Agreed - while the law firms ask for gcse's, their general
criteria often seem to talk solelynin terms of alevels... Some eg Cliffrd Chance make a point of asking for ucas points
cookie123456789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They only really matter if you want to go to top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. And even if you did get all A*s there is still a chance you won't even get into those universities. Only one student from my school got in to Oxford last year and I go to a grammar school.
They can also sort of matter to get a first job- good grades look good on a job CV.
AND they matter to get into Sixth Form. (You usually need at least 6 A*- C grades). Having at least one or two A*s, a couple of As and maybe a few Bs and Cs would be fine.
Really, GCSE's don't matter in the long term. They are just numbers on a bit of paper and many famous, successful people in today's society only just got Bs and Cs or even Ds.
jayjaytomasso
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cookie123456789)
They only really matter if you want to go to top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. And even if you did get all A*s there is still a chance you won't even get into those universities. Only one student from my school got in to Oxford last year and I go to a grammar school.
They can also sort of matter to get a first job- good grades look good on a job CV.
AND they matter to get into Sixth Form. (You usually need at least 6 A*- C grades). Having at least one or two A*s, a couple of As and maybe a few Bs and Cs would be fine.
Really, GCSE's don't matter in the long term. They are just numbers on a bit of paper and many famous, successful people in today's society only just got Bs and Cs or even Ds.

Totally agree with you there. these a* students act like it's a privellege to getting/achieving that grade. they act like they have so much confidence and so much pride (some not all), and they wont fail anything and when you ask for help (say maths), they are all 'i'm busy'. these stupid grades corrupts people. makes them do bad things, makes people believe they are a failure when they are not.
theBranicAc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jayjaytomasso)
Totally agree with you there. these a* students act like it's a privellege to getting/achieving that grade. they act like they have so much confidence and so much pride (some not all), and they wont fail anything and when you ask for help (say maths), they are all 'i'm busy'. these stupid grades corrupts people. makes them do bad things, makes people believe they are a failure when they are not.
how do they make them do bad things? like..?
cookie123456789
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jayjaytomasso)
Exactly. Good grades do not really reflect how clever you are.
I know someone who gets mostly all A*s but is an actual idiot without a clue about the normal things in life you actually need to know.
Also, most of the A* students have no real life and no really interesting personality because they are always cooped up in their bedroom revising, fussing over work and grades when actually in order to survive in the big world you need charisma, charm and maybe at least one or two As or A*s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%