The Student Room Group

what is Additional Maths ??

hi,
i heard something called 'Add Maths'

my question is simple : What is it ?
is it like an extra gcse ?
Reply 1
Its official title is a Free Standing Mathematical Qualification (FSMQ). Its a bit more than a GCSE, but less than an A-Level. In my school, it was done by the top set in year 11 after we had done the GCSE in year 10. It covers a fair chunk of what you learn at AS-level maths.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/fsmq/maths/add_maths/index.aspx :smile:
It is a course higher than GCSE but lower than A-level.
Me and a load of others ended up doing it last year instead after we got U's the first module of A-level maths.
Some top set year 11's did it too after they finished GCSE maths.
Reply 3
Emma:-)
It is a course higher than GCSE but lower than A-level.
Me and a load of others ended up doing it last year instead after we got U's the first module of A-level maths.
Some top set year 11's did it too after they finished GCSE maths.

so does that mean it's harder than gcse, but easier than AS ??
Reply 4
sonofdot
Its official title is a Free Standing Mathematical Qualification (FSMQ). Its a bit more than an A-Level. In my school, it was done by the top set in year 11 after we had done the GCSE in year 10. It covers a fair chunk of what you learn at AS-level maths.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/fsmq/maths/add_maths/index.aspx :smile:

thanks fo the link :smile:
Reply 5
zactissue

so does that mean it's harder than gcse, but easier than AS ??

It's harder than GCSE but covers a lot of the stuff in C1 of AS maths and a bit of the applied stuff too.
it is useful for the 1st module or 2 of a level maths (when i did it)
I'm going to do it in Year 11, and it supposedly helps you into AS/A Level Maths.
sonofdot
Its official title is a Free Standing Mathematical Qualification (FSMQ). Its a bit more than an A-Level.

You didn't mean that, did you?
Reply 9
OMGgg
sounds really hard >_< ;
and is it true that there is no A* ?
I did an "Additional Mathematics" GCSE (not the FSMQ) which was just an extra GCSE. This was on the NICCEA board and contained mainly AS maths with matricies (pure paper) and a mechanics and stats applied paper.

This was in 5th year after GCSE maths in 4th.
Reply 11
AS Maths is split into Core Maths 1, Core Maths 2 and one other module. FSMQ covers about 90% of Core Maths 1, 40% of Core Maths 2 and small bits of "one other module".

It's a very good qualification in my opinion - well structured and all. Very heavy focus on algebra, by the way.

What's the point in doing it? Not much, really. If you get an A, it gives you 20 UCAS points, which is something you can tell universities about. But most of the better ones wouldn't care so much about the 20 points. It was sort of something to kill the time with between GCSE and AS for people who did their GCSE a year early at our school. It used to be an elitist qualification, but it was decided that it was too difficult, so it got dumbed down some years ago. It does help with AS maths a lot though.
Reply 12
I did an Additional Maths GCSE with WJEC, it was mostly stuff from C1
JAKstriked
I did an "Additional Mathematics" GCSE (not the FSMQ) which was just an extra GCSE. This was on the NICCEA board and contained mainly AS maths with matricies (pure paper) and a mechanics and stats applied paper.

This was in 5th year after GCSE maths in 4th.

:ditto:
Reply 14
Swayum
AS Maths is split into Core Maths 1, Core Maths 2 and one other module. FSMQ covers about 90% of Core Maths 1, 40% of Core Maths 2 and small bits of "one other module".

It's a very good qualification in my opinion - well structured and all. Very heavy focus on algebra, by the way.

What's the point in doing it? Not much, really. If you get an A, it gives you 20 UCAS points, which is something you can tell universities about. But most of the better ones wouldn't care so much about the 20 points. It was sort of something to kill the time with between GCSE and AS for people who did their GCSE a year early at our school. It used to be an elitist qualification, but it was decided that it was too difficult, so it got dumbed down some years ago. It does help with AS maths a lot though.

arrrrrgh :frown:
i dont like Algebra :frown:
I prefer Geometry =) LOL

anyway, thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Is there anyway of knowing how much more difficult it is compared with GCSE's does it contribute to your top 8 point score or anything?
I did Add maths in 1982 having taken the basic maths O level a year earlier. I got a B but to be honest it is very difficult and when you get into maths A levels you think you know more than you do
it introduces Calculus which is helpful for A level.
This thread is ****ing 8 years olddddd!!! OP is probably a graduate by now!

Quick Reply

Latest