Turn on thread page Beta

Edexhell watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else p*ssed off with EdExcel's treatment of students?

Success Through Qualifications? Disqualification more like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativesurgeon)
    Anyone else p*ssed off with EdExcel's treatment of students?

Success Through Qualifications? Disqualification more like.
    most of the problems they've had are related to music. do u do music?

ReputationRep:
    I had a marking problem with maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    I had a marking problem with maths.
    i had a marking problem with aqa biology..so what? it happens.

ReputationRep:
    i blame tony blair for giving us so many exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShOcKzZ)
    most of the problems they've had are related to music. do u do music?
    A2 Media and AVCE ICT - although I had lots of probs with my GCSE's, they docked me half a mark for GCSE History. So I ended up half a mark away from an A. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    A2 Media and AVCE ICT - although I had lots of probs with my GCSE's, they docked me half a mark for GCSE History. So I ended up half a mark away from an A. :mad:
    It's at this point I ignore my own signature...

ReputationRep:
    yeah but you didnt get enough marks for an A so thats not their problem.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but you didnt get enough marks for an A so thats not their problem.
    No, but it's F*cking petty. They've had their turn to do exams, and now they waana screw us up.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it's F*cking petty. They've had their turn to do exams, and now they waana screw us up.
    lol..but if u didnt make the grade gimme one good reason you should be given it.

ReputationRep:
    lol..but if u didnt make the grade gimme one good reason you should be given it.
    Because it is a well known fact (even our teachers have confirmed this), that if too many people get high grades (in ANY level; A/S; GCSE; whatever), the boundaries are changed. The countris students will NEVER achieve more than 8% A's. If I was entitled to that grade, then I feel I shoould have it on my certificates. Is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Because it is a well known fact (even our teachers have confirmed this), that if too many people get high grades (in ANY level; A/S; GCSE; whatever), the boundaries are changed. The countris students will NEVER achieve more than 8% A's. If I was entitled to that grade, then I feel I shoould have it on my certificates. Is that wrong?
    oh..ur talkin about exams bein moderated and grade boundaries being changed..

they change the boundaries depending on how easy or hard the exam was.
    for example an A at a-level is around 74%. uf the exam is hard then they lower it to 70% for an A..if too easy then they raise it to 80% etc..

so if ur sayin that u missed the boundary because it was raised for an A grade..then it was probably raised because it was an easy exam..in which case u shudda done better anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ...so if ur sayin that u missed the boundary because it was raised for an A grade..then it was probably raised because it was an easy exam..in which case u shudda done better anyway.
    Hard person to please, aintcha?

But it should be their responsiblilty to decide on the difficulty of the exams. If the students do well, its the exam board's tough luck

They are moving the goal-post's, and in any other profession, that is unfair.

Why not this one?

ReputationRep:
    Hard person to please, aintcha?

But it should be their responsiblilty to decide on the difficulty of the exams. If the students do well, its the exam board's tough luck

They are moving the goal-post's, and in any other profession, that is unfair.

Why not this one?
    hmm. anyway, did u get a remark done?

ReputationRep:
    i had a marking problem with aqa biology..so what? it happens.
    It cost me my place at my university choices, and meant i had to take a gap year. Every mark is crucial if you need an A and you're one mark off it, some universities just don't care if it's a course in high demand.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel are quite possibly the worst exam board ever to issue a paper.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add as i may not have made it clear. They marked me 3 marks below what i needed to get into my insurance university, i may have been able to go to my first choice. None of my choices would accept me. i was left with no uni choices (could have gone for clearing, but didn't see any courses/institutions i wanted to go to). I got my re-mark got my 3 marks and got my university place.

But the fact of the story is if someone was marking the paper accurately i'd be at university now.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    This is sooo true!!!!! I have loadsa friends that had their history paper undermarked by Edexcel this summer!!! many got remarks and on person's paper went up 2 grades!!! I actually failed the paper, and blamed myself, so didnt bother with the remark, but wish now that i had! These teachers are paid to mark our papers - our futures remain in their hands, so why dont they do their job and mark them properly!! then we woodnt have to waste money getting them remarked and lose out on university places!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    This is sooo true!!!!! I have loadsa friends that had their history paper undermarked by Edexcel this summer!!! many got remarks and on person's paper went up 2 grades!!! I actually failed the paper, and blamed myself, so didnt bother with the remark, but wish now that i had! These teachers are paid to mark our papers - our futures remain in their hands, so why dont they do their job and mark them properly!! then we woodnt have to waste money getting them remarked and lose out on university places!!!!!!!!!
    Damn right Gemma-if i had had a remark I prob would have got an A and it wouldn't look so bad on my uni application

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2003
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.