Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone starting revising for this yet? Are you going to revise? I haven't revised anything but I am weak on so much stuff, both from AS and A2. I've done some past papers and the highest mark I've got is 34/60, and that combined with a coursework mark of 42 would get 76/120, which is a C. :mad: I haven't started revising/finished going through (!) my optional module yet either. Shizzlesticks.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done any synoptic papers yet. Or optional module. I've done Central Concepts though but that's all.. I'm hoping my HHD mark will go up by quite a bit so that i don't have to get as much on A2... 34/60 is good for synoptic!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Sian-)
    Has anyone starting revising for this yet? Are you going to revise? I haven't revised anything but I am weak on so much stuff, both from AS and A2. I've done some past papers and the highest mark I've got is 34/60, and that combined with a coursework mark of 42 would get 76/120, which is a C. :mad: I haven't started revising/finished going through (!) my optional module yet either. Shizzlesticks.
    Hey, you've probably seen it, but just incase: http://www.geocities.com/alevelbiologypapers/

so now I have all the mark schemes, they're going make up my new revision guide

As for the UC exam, I've read through some AS molecular stuff, and will look through some ecology. And photosyn + respir, at some point. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Have you done UC June 2003? Q.6 b) is really hard but they actually give you marks for the wrong answer. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    :eek: Have you done UC June 2003? Q.6 b) is really hard but they actually give you marks for the wrong answer. :rofl:
    But that's a good thing for me cos I'm more likely to put down wrong answers!

ReputationRep:
    the key to those papers is to write as many stupid pointless tiny little details and things that you can possibly think of and im not even joking

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how OCR is structured...
    But for Edexcel the synoptic marks are 11 for science 2 for comprehensibility and 2 for balance
    You lose marks for irrelevant science or ommision of science
    But yes tiny details are good... provided they are on the correct bit of the course!!

ReputationRep:
    yea ocr is totally different, youre more likely to gain marks with those irrelevant bits fo science.

in fcat if you right the same thing a few times in slightly different ways you might get more than one mark, like if i write carbon no longer fixed to form GP from RuBP and write GP no longer used to make TP and write calvin cycle stops, id probably get three marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    I got 24/60 on that paper...

& I just did January 2002 and took about two f*cking hours over it and got 22. Oh how I could cry.

ReputationRep:
    I got 24/60 on that paper...

& I just did January 2002 and took about two f*cking hours over it and got 22. Oh how I could cry.

Synoptics should die.

ReputationRep:
    I hate OCR. The wording of the questions is so crap and leads me to think of answers from totally wrong topics! :confused: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)

Synoptics should die.
    I didnt realise that they could ask us about the practicals from the other units in the synoptic paper

just did a unit 5 paper and had to answer

'how you would work out the fresh biomass of the primary producers in a certain area?'

really, i should think as a rule any unit 3 stuff should be banned from the synoptic paper to save my sanity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    I didnt realise that they could ask us about the practicals from the other units in the synoptic paper

just did a unit 5 paper and had to answer

'how you would work out the fresh biomass of the primary producers in a certain area?'

really, i should think as a rule any unit 3 stuff should be banned from the synoptic paper to save my sanity!
    Yeah I know. I started going over some of my AS stuff again last night. I can remember how to draw an amino acid, and that's about the extent of my knowledge I HATE unit 3 with a passion, and if gasohol/fermenters/any bloody ruminant digestion comes up in the synoptic I'll have a spaz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Yeah I know. I started going over some of my AS stuff again last night. I can remember how to draw an amino acid, and that's about the extent of my knowledge I HATE unit 3 with a passion, and if gasohol/fermenters/any bloody ruminant digestion comes up in the synoptic I'll have a spaz.
    Glad to hear that it's not just me that hates unit 3

Am i right in thinking that unit 2 and unit 5 parts of biology biology won't be on the synoptic paper cuz those people that do human biology instead of biology biology wont have done it. So since they do the same paper as us (can tell that from the essay question) we only need to revise unit 1, 3, 4 (not option stuff) for that exam. Does that sound right?

Hang on... there's an essay question on biology biology... so maybe you need to revise those other units.

This is Edexcel biology biology everyone... lol... biology biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Glad to hear that it's not just me that hates unit 3

Am i right in thinking that unit 2 and unit 5 parts of biology biology won't be on the synoptic paper cuz those people that do human biology instead of biology biology wont have done it. So since they do the same paper as us (can tell that from the essay question) we only need to revise unit 1, 3, 4 (not option stuff) for that exam. Does that sound right?

Hang on... there's an essay question on biology biology... so maybe you need to revise those other units.

This is Edexcel biology biology everyone... lol... biology biology
    Hmm. Unit 2 involves human digestion though doesn't it? So all that needs to be learnt. DNA/protein.transcription etc is bound to come up. Most of unit 3 could come up. The only thing that probably won't in the shorter question is the planty stuff (which, annoying, is the stuff I find easiest). Though planty stuff is most likely to be one of the synoptic essay questions, so looks like the only trick is to revise nigh-on everything.

ReputationRep:
    Ellie and Revenged are hijacking my thread...grr... :p:

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    *Runs away*

ReputationRep:
    :cool::tsr::cool:

ReputationRep:
    sian, another tip is to learn what the wording of the questions are. i.e. having done a paper, see how that wording of the question is related to the question, cos in an exam its easy to mess it up.

an example is, when theres a graph, if it says describe you literally talk about the shape of the graph referring to the data, but if it says explain thenm and only then should you talk about the biological reason why the graph is doing what its doing, and again refer to the data

always refer to any data that they give you.

ReputationRep:
    Those 'describe the graph' questions are really boring.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2005

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.