The pill, simple question to girls Watch

This discussion is closed.
RobbieC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I was just wondering, having spoken to a female friend about her going on the pill recently. Is the pill used simply as a prolonged protection against pregnancy... or to alleviate the pain of ovulation and periods and stuff, as I gather such experiences can be really horrible for girls. Sorry, I am just curious...
clairey87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It tends to be used for both
little.rebel.L
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by RobbieC)
I was just wondering, having spoken to a female friend about her going on the pill recently. Is the pill used simply as a prolonged protection against pregnancy... or to alleviate the pain of ovulation and periods and stuff, as I gather such experiences can be really horrible for girls. Sorry, I am just curious...
for some yes, others no. I personaly like the control it gives me over my periods.
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks guys, I was just wondering. Because if everyone finds periods painful, then surely the pill is a good idea:s??
Lauren18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Pill can be used for many different 'things' - and each type of Pill has specific uses.

For example, the Pill I'm on is a contraceptive, regulates periods and helps to clear up skin.

It also made me really ill one day per month for the first six months or so and made me put on a bit of weight! x
zxczxc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The pill I take freshens my breath and is only two calories!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by RobbieC)
Thanks guys, I was just wondering. Because if everyone finds periods painful, then surely the pill is a good idea:s??
There can be serious side affects too though, and so thats why not everyone uses it all the time/if ever.
Its also supposed to reduce your labido (sp? is that the word i'm looking for?!) so not much good form that perspective!!
However, i'm hoping to go on it myself soon, once my doctor lets me
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
yeaah, but the pill should really be a last resort for simply period pain alone.

there are a few non hormonal alternatives that you ought to try before going on the pill, for example, extra strength ibuprofen, mefanemic acid or its variants.
but i'm scared of using too much ibuprofen/paracetamol though. doesn't that harm you?
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
yes, it does if taken too much, and if it's becoming a regular thing you ought to see about some mefanemic acid.
oh ok, thanks xx hopefully the pill'll sort out that prob anyways
(lessthanthree you are the H&R god!!!! )
PinkPigeon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
To be honest, I was a bit dissappointed as the pill didn't really reduce my period pains all that much- probably because I told the doctor I was going on it for contraceptive reasons and so mine might not be the best for improving periods. I agree though, I like to have the control and to know when I'm due for sure, it certainly reduces worrying.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PinkPigeon)
To be honest, I was a bit dissappointed as the pill didn't really reduce my period pains all that much- probably because I told the doctor I was going on it for contraceptive reasons and so mine might not be the best for improving periods. I agree though, I like to have the control and to know when I'm due for sure, it certainly reduces worrying.
what pill are you using? i take microgynon 30 and it was prescribed mainly for period pain
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TK)
what pill are you using? i take microgynon 30 and it was prescribed mainly for period pain
ooo, top of the line .
someones gp likes her...
kalibantre
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TK)
i think thats just the best pill in general. I asked for the pill for contraception now i was in a long term relationship but didnt want kids and didnt want to have to keep checking to be sure i wasnt pregnant is something broke or was forgotten.. and cause i wanted my periods to be slightly more regular. i know i stop taking it in a sunday and coe on on the tuesday. and off on the saturday.. its just nice to have a routine really.
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
ooo, top of the line .
someones gp likes her...
i thought microgynon was the cheapest, and that's why it is prescribed first to most people?

though to be honest, until i came on here i'd never heard about GPs being unwilling to prescribe certain medication because of its price.

and to the original poster - not all girls GET period pain, so not everyone needs to control it. i get a dull ache but certainly nothing i'd take pain killers for.
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by PinkPigeon)
i'm on it and i'm in agony as we speak...and i feel sick/have headaches/feel bloated/am depressed/etc

but thats just me
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
i get a dull ache but certainly nothing i'd take pain killers for.
alright for some
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
for period pain i went on the implant... why cause after being on it for say.... 3/4 months.. i had it put in back in september... ive had about 2 periods...
and thats it
i needed it for my exams.. being paralyzed in bed for 5 days a month doesn't make things easy!
plus implant... always there no need to think about it for 3 years unless im being prescribed meds that cancel it.

and as for prescribing from price... the implant is about £100 for one. they tell you before they set up for into to be inserted into your arm saying if you have it think about it baucase if you take it out after a week its a waste of £100
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
for period pain i went on the implant... why cause after being on it for say.... 3/4 months.. i had it put in back in september... ive had about 2 periods...
and thats it
i needed it for my exams.. being paralyzed in bed for 5 days a month doesn't make things easy!
plus implant... always there no need to think about it for 3 years unless im being prescribed meds that cancel it.

and as for prescribing from price... the implant is about £100 for one. they tell you before they set up for into to be inserted into your arm saying if you have it think about it baucase if you take it out after a week its a waste of £100
i got mine free

and anyway i've had it in nearly 2 years and it's still disrupting my periods (being on for 3/4 weeks at a time really take it out of you!) so thats why i'm on the pill as well. Think i'm getting the implant out in July when the doctor is back from holiday
Brown Eyed Girl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i got it for free

but it costs the nhs money or something
and the price is £100

mines great tho.. its totaly killed my periods.
i took a risk going on it cause as yousaid 3/4 week periods.
ive got the date on the card for mine to come out. ill probs get another put in after
xXMessedUpXx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brown Eyed Girl)
i got it for free

but it costs the nhs money or something
and the price is £100

mines great tho.. its totaly killed my periods.
i took a risk going on it cause as yousaid 3/4 week periods.
ive got the date on the card for mine to come out. ill probs get another put in after
i really wish i had taken to it cos its perfect for me as i keep forgetting the pill...but it just isn't worth the hassle of being aneamic every month or so
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads