The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The ideal is to get into medicine, not some course that you have no interest in, don't put a 'backup' unless you're prepared to work in that field for the next decade or so.
Reply 2
^^^ What he said.

When I applied, I didn't put a backup. What's the point? I knew I was never going to take up that offer and some poor sod might really want that place!
No backup. Medicine or bust!
Even if you do put a backup, there is no "ideal" course and no uni is "best suited" for it!
Ewww I'll never put a backup... that's for losers who aren't 110% committed to Medicine. :biggrin:
x_skater_jnoo_x
Ewww I'll never put a backup... that's for losers who aren't 110% committed to Medicine. :biggrin:

^^^ This :yep:
Reply 7
x_skater_jnoo_x

Or for the losers who want to get their money's worth from that £17 ucas fee :ninja:
Reply 8
Biomed, Biology, Natural Sciences, Medicinal Physics, Optometry.
Reply 9
sushhiii
Hey guys,

Just wondering what would be the ideal backup course when applying for medicine and where? I know BioMed is a very common one, but surely there are other good ones? Also which uni would be best suited for this 'backup'?

thanks! :smile:

If you want to pick one then pick a course that you would enjoy for 3 years, if you would plan on applying for grad entry medicine then it would be best to check that degree would be accepted by the unis as some have restrictions as to which degrees you accept.

I had a back up choice with no intention of taking it. The reason I chose one was just in case something happened that meant I could no longer enter as an undergraduate or perhaps medicine for whatever reason etc.
Mine is neuroscience.. UCL and KCL do it as far as I know..

Neuroscience..
Simply because I am genuinely interested in that. My importance goes to medicine but I want neuroscience too in case I change my mind about what I want to do or if I end up with no offers from medschools but feel strongly about doing neuroscience.
Zerodos

Not Optometry, as that is a highly competitive course in it's own right and you won't get in with a Medicine personal statement.
Bear in mind you may find yourself 'forced into' a backup. My friend applied to UEA for Medicine and got rejected, but they then offered him other less competitive courses with the view to apply for graduate-entry Medicine if he got a 2;1 or higher. He's doing Biomed at the moment.
Reply 13
I was thinking putting chemistry as my fifth choice incase I don't get any offers.....
Reply 14
Becca-Sarah
Not Optometry, as that is a highly competitive course in it's own right and you won't get in with a Medicine personal statement.

The only person I know who applied for it used her 4 other choices on medicine and she got 2 medicine offers and an optometry offer.
Depends if you want to chase grad medicine if so then something that the medical school accept. If not then something youll be happy using in a future career.
Something completely random like Costume Production purely to see if you can get in. We should have a competition who to see who attains the best of all backup offers.
JustCallMeKate
Bear in mind you may find yourself 'forced into' a backup. My friend applied to UEA for Medicine and got rejected, but they then offered him other less competitive courses with the view to apply for graduate-entry Medicine if he got a 2;1 or higher. He's doing Biomed at the moment.

Well you could always say no and reapply the next year? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
brokenangel
Depends if you want to chase grad medicine if so then something that the medical school accept. If not then something youll be happy using in a future career.
Even if you are going to 'chase' graduate medicine you should be looking for something you'll be happy using in a future career, because if you can't get into 5-year medicine...
Zerodos

could you do medicine after with any of those courses except biomed..?!?!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending