The Student Room Group

How can we be alive when we are just atoms

I dont understand, if we are just stuff how the hell can we work I realise we are a system and if the system had some kind of initial energy input eons ago tthem maybe it could kick off but come on... what are the odds of *looks around* all this, humanity sprouting from crap.

Does anyone think the true nature of the universe, true understanding of the purpose of meaning can ever be understood.

How are we alive, if hypothetically speaking I was to be copied atom by atom in an instant in a different place would my clone be alive, how could it be would the energy, the life be copied? Or would it just be a mass of organic waste.

Dunno m8 *shrugs*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You just made my head hurt! :frown: :tongue:
Reply 2
Electricity.
Reply 3
AndrewJameson
I dont understand, if we are just stuff how the hell can we work I realise we are a system and if the system had some kind of initial energy input eons ago tthem maybe it could kick off but come on... what are the odds of *looks around* all this, humanity sprouting from crap.

Does anyone think the true nature of the universe, true understanding of the purpose of meaning can ever be understood.

How are we alive, if hypothetically speaking I was to be copied atom by atom in an instant in a different place would my clone be alive, how could it be would the energy, the life be copied? Or would it just be a mass of organic waste.

Dunno m8 *shrugs*

erm,i dont know. Oh well,who cares anyway...?
Reply 4
Anna
erm,i dont know. Oh well,who cares anyway...?

its actually pretty important...

but who gives a toss...
Reply 5
oh well...im not bothered about it anyway. I dont think in that way...if you get what i mean
Reply 6
Anna
oh well...im not bothered about it anyway. I dont think in that way...if you get what i mean

but humans are not made up of atoms, humans are made up of cells.
Reply 7
hello_forum

i know that humans are made up of cells...i didnt start of this thread you know...
Reply 8
hello_forum

Err... yes, but cells are made of atoms...
Reply 9
++Hex++
Err... yes, but cells are made of atoms...

no they r not.......what? cells are cells, atoms are atoms

ehh?

how are cells amde up of atoms?

cells are the building blocks of life

living creatures are made up of cells

the elements are amde up of atoms.

humans have atoms in their body coz they r made up of carbon, but thats why.
It doesn't matter what the odds of humanity 'sprouting from crap' are. If you consider that life evolved four billion years ago after the earth had been around for many billions of years before that, and assuming that the formation of life is a very improbably event (which it undoubtedly is). Now, I don't know the figures, but suppose that the earth existed for ten billion years before life first came together (in reality it will have been longer than this). Life has only evolved once in this time period as far as we know, which suggests that a possible probability could be that life is so unlikely to occur that it will come about by chance only once in a period of ten billion years. Now let us assume that earth is the only planet in the universe which contains life, and astronomers have estimated that there are many trillions of planets in the entire universe, let us say 5 trillion for simplicity. Here comes the interesting part. Using these two pieces of data we can conclude that even though the probability of life evolving in one planet in the entire universe is one in 5*10^22 (an astonomically large number- 1 in fifty thousand million million million), it is still likely to occur.
hello_forum
no they r not.......what? cells are cells, atoms are atoms

ehh?

how are cells amde up of atoms?

cells are the building blocks of life

living creatures are made up of cells

the elements are amde up of atoms.

humans have atoms in their body coz they r made up of carbon, but thats why.

You're an idiot.

Well, ok that is harsh. But cells are made of atoms.
Reply 12
Ralfskini
You're an idiot.

Well, ok that is harsh. But cells are made of atoms.

tut tut Ralfskini, thats a bit hmmm..harsh. You remind me of one of my friends, he's extremely blunt and talks exactly like that :rolleyes:
Anna
tut tut Ralfskini, thats a bit hmmm..harsh. You remind me of one of my friends, he's extremely blunt and talks exactly like that :rolleyes:

cells are not made up of atoms

elements are amde up of atoms

cells are fundamental

humans are made up of cells etc, aswell as some carbon - that part being the bit where humans are made up of some atoms.

i got double award A*, so i know my science
Anna

Sorry. :frown:
Reply 15
err, humans are made of organisms, organisms are made of organs, organs are made of cells, cells are made up of atoms, atoms are made of protons, electrons and neutrons, neutrons and protons are made of quarks and the rest. Humans are made up of cells which have a chemical composition which is made of carbon and other atoms.

Read books man!
hello_forum
cells are not made up of atoms

elements are amde up of atoms

cells are fundamental

humans are made up of cells etc, aswell as some carbon - that part being the bit where humans are made up of some atoms.

But that doesn't make you right. :rolleyes:
Reply 17
AndrewJameson

Dunno m8 *shrugs*

so is the final point your trying to make that we r created
Reply 18
hello_forum

well, obviously not your biology maskall :tongue:
SasunD
err, humans are made of organisms, organisms are made of organs, organs are made of cells, cells are made up of atoms, atoms are made of protons, electrons and neutrons, neutrons and protons are made of quarks and the rest. Humans are made up of cells which have a chemical composition which is made of carbon and other atoms.

Read books man!

Almost correct. Humans are organisms. Organisms are made of organ systems, which are made of organs, which are made of tissues, which are comprised of cells, which are made of atoms (I really can't be bothered to go into subatomic particles).

Latest

Trending

Trending