Turn on thread page Beta

How can we be alive when we are just atoms watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    But those carbon compounds consist of carbon atoms...

Any molecule / compound which is organic contain carbon atoms. Thats the very definition of an organic compound. As an example, the amino acid glycin: H3N - CH2 - COOH contain two carbon atoms.

So we can conclude that these definitions are interchangeable:

-Carbon compound
    -Group of atoms bonded together, some of which are carbon atoms to form a stable product.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    So we can conclude that these definitions are interchangeable:

-Carbon compound
    -Group of atoms bonded together, some of which are carbon atoms to form a stable product.
    Well, carbon compounds include other atoms as well as carbon atoms...

ReputationRep:

and...

ReputationRep:

? Confused! You two seem to be arguing over... nothing. Where exactly are your differences of opinion? And when did either one of you, or Blamps, say anything that contradicted what the other had said? All three of you seem to be in agreement that organic chemistry involves the study of carbon-containing compunds, which are made up of atoms... where's the argument?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    ? Confused! You two seem to be arguing over... nothing. Where exactly are your differences of opinion? And when did either one of you, or Blamps, say anything that contradicted what the other had said? All three of you seem to be in agreement that organic chemistry involves the study of carbon-containing compunds, which are made up of atoms... where's the argument?!!

Well I dont consider this to be an argument. But Jonaton implied that Blamps was wrong in describing organic chemistry as that involving carbon compounds and I think he was perfectly correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Well I dont consider this to be an argument. But Jonaton implied that Blamps was wrong in describing organic chemistry as that involving carbon compounds and I think he was perfectly correct.

Yes, so do I. But I think... so does Jonaton... from what he's saying... Maybe he just misinterpreted what Blamps said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_forum)
    cells are not made up of atoms

elements are amde up of atoms

cells are fundamental

humans are made up of cells etc, aswell as some carbon - that part being the bit where humans are made up of some atoms.

i got double award A*, so i know my science
    indignant and a complete retard, going for gold today i see

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so do I. But I think... so does Jonaton... from what he's saying... Maybe he just misinterpreted what Blamps said?
    Hmmm, you are probabbly right. Once me and this other guy were discussing how a lightwave bends in a gravitational field only to end up realising one of use though we talked about an elevator accelerating downwards, whereas the other thought we were talking of the case were it accelerates upwards... Complete waste of time...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, you are probabbly right. Once me and this other guy were discussing how a lightwave bends in a gravitational field only to end up realising one of use though we talked about an elevator accelerating downwards, whereas the other thought we were talking of the case were it accelerates upwards... Complete waste of time...
    stop trying to be clever..

ReputationRep:
    Well, my basic argument was that organic compounds are usually (if not always?) carbon compounds (for Johnatan i.e compunds, molecules with carbon-carbon chains0....I heard an argument somewhere that silicon being in group 4 (and being below Carbon) is another possible atom, which could form organic compounds, perhaps somewhere else in the universe where there is life (?)

ReputationRep:
    That is the flaw in your argument because a salient feature of organic compounds is the carbon-carbon chains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    That is the flaw in your argument because a salient feature of organic compounds is the carbon-carbon chains
    Huh? I just said that organic molecules are not solely composed of carbon atoms. The functional groups are just as important for the proteins as the chain structure. Without them, the proteins could not fold propperly...

ReputationRep:
    You're alive cuz some guy in the clouds says so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    You're alive cuz some guy in the clouds says so
    Or we could use steaphen hawkings favourite interpretation:

We are alive , cus otherwise we would not be able to ask why we were alive!

ReputationRep:
    My god....I never actually thought about this until right....now.....and it hurts my brain. To think...there was a time, with no life - just chemical reactions, and elements, and chaos. And out of that somehow arose living things with the "desire", or need to replicate and multiply. How many trillions of things could of gone wrong in that primordial soup to prevent any of this from happening: life, us, civilisation. Scary stuff.

Anyway, here's one way of looking at it. Everything alive must have descended from the same organism right? And that organism's only purpose was to replicate. Over the (millions of) years evolution gave the organism senses, and abilities to help ensure that replication would take place, by creating countless variations on the organism (through random mutations, natural selection, whatever). So we're just the most advanced variation of a very simply life form. Our senses, our intelligence, our self awareness (everything we pride as making us...us) are here because they give us the edge; they equip us for survival, ensuring the replication of "the life form". We think, and feel, because we have complex extensions to our basic senses that allow us to interpret our surrounding, and situations better. Every emotion and feeling can be stripped down to a primal instinct, and every primal instinct can be linked back to a sense, or some sort of "feedback" that the body relies on for one reason or another. SO....given all that...perhaps we're just a vehicle for a very very simply organism; we're slaves to it! We reproduce because it wants us to. Ooooh scary. lol

Well I dunno. I'm no scientist. I only got a double B award. And that's a very cold way of looking at life - it was just a random thought I had just now. Probably completely *******s though. I think considering everything we've yet to understand, it's entirely plausable that some "spirit" does reside in the human body. And I don't mean spirit in the mumbo jumbo way. I mean perhaps consciousness (i cant spell that word) resides as a more complex network of matter outside of our range of perception or something. Or it occupies our space (or another form of space) in such a way that it cannot yet be measured or observed. Who knows.

I don't think we're meant to find out though. you know how the journey to somewhere is usually alot more rewarding then actually getting there? Life is like that I guess. The fact that we all have that deep routed instinct to know why we're here is what makes us feel alive, and like we have purpose in a very cold and bleak universe. But were we to be able to actually say "this is the purpose for our existence; this is why we're here"....we'd probably be very dissapointed with what we found, and what would be the drive or the motivation to carry on...living!?

Sorry, this is long. Just some things for you all to think about. Feel free to mock my unique brand of pseudo science, incorrect terminology, and half-baked concepts.

- Paul

ReputationRep:
    garlic bread?

ReputationRep:
    lol no thanks. I've eaten already.

Put some in a doggy bag, however, and I'll have some for lunch tomorrow.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.